YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
JJ Ninny
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is considering buying an umbilical LED torch such as the Halcyon EOS. She currently uses a Halcyon Explorer 9ah/21w HID and would prefer something of similar brightness. Any opions about her options Halcyon EOS, Tilly Tec TT3/2000, Light Monkey, Hollis or any others? It has to be moutable on her waist band, so she can hog wrap, and have a goodmans handle. It is for UK wreck diving use.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That's the $64,000 question at the moment! I'm trying to resist the temptation to get another HID as I'm certain that 5 minutes after I do, there will be the announcement we've all been waiting for - the monster LED has arrived.

The one that Mark Chase reviewed the other day came bloody close by all accounts. So it can't be far off.

Hopefully somebody in the know will be along in a minute!

Stan.

·
Very Senior Member
1,908 Posts
John, Your welcome to take my demo EOS unit for a dive any time your down this way.

Whatever you do dont just g by the Lumens output. Loads of manufacturers quoting big numbers but lumens is fairly irrelevant for a dive light. Try to find out the Lux at 1, 3 and 5 meters that should give you a good idea how the various lights will perform and how well they "throw" all those lumens in one direction.

HTH

David

My wife is considering buying an umbilical LED torch such as the Halcyon EOS. She currently uses a Halcyon Explorer 9ah/21w HID and would prefer something of similar brightness. Any opions about her options Halcyon EOS, Tilly Tec TT3/2000, Light Monkey, Hollis or any others? It has to be moutable on her waist band, so she can hog wrap, and have a goodmans handle. It is for UK wreck diving use.

·
Circle 13 - Doing It Right
122 Posts
LED will surpass Hid technology in the future this is undeniable but at this present moment in time and for the forseable future gas driven still produce a superior light and better focus capabilities so why fix something that is not broken why not save money and switch to LED when it truely has surpassed Other light types ? just my opinion though ;)

·
Registered
20,638 Posts
I am very fond of my greenforce, hip mountable battery {just buy a little custom divers pouch to drop it in} and a goodmans handles, plenty of light for many many minutes....Oh yeah...and a free towel...

·
Registered
351 Posts
john

have a look at the new greenforce heptastar led head (links below*) this is 2275 lumens 10 degree beam very small head and is brighter than the 21 watt hid and can be used on 50% power or 100% power and is now available in ALL BLACK as well as the normal green/gold greenforce colour also the system is fully modular so you can buy different heads for different kinds of diving.we also have a new hybrid range of battery packs that can be used on aa batteries rechargable aa,s or a nimh rechargable pack can be put in also.these are ideal for travelling as you can take the pack without any batteries in and buy the aa batteries when you are abroad and the pack weighs very little and there is no need to take a charger.
have a look at the attached piccys and if you need any further help do not hesitate to contact me.
the price bracket on an f 2 with umbilical is £ 650

cheers
rob

Please click on the following links http://www.green-force.com/ProductPictures/NewProducts/Hybrid/Heptastar XPG H.jpg

http://www.green-force.com/ProductP...d/Hybrid 12 + umbilical + Heptastar XPG H.jpg

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
It depends on what your wife wants the light to do. Must people just want to light up the area in front of them whilst they bimble about and LEDs are fine for that. If she wants to use it for signalling and tracking then LEDs are not in the same ballpark as a decent variable focus HiD.

LEDs can fail same as HiDs but you have a better chance of getting a HiD fixed in the field. In 5 years and feck knows how many dives / hours in the water I have never had a HiD fail on me (including rolling a fully loaded twinset onto one - twice, rolling my Meg rig onto one - twice and flooding one by trapping the battery wire in the lid).

The other week Colin put a 16w LED 6 degree focus in the water alongside his 14w CD HiD. He reported that he couldn't tell the beams apart. I couldn't see much between them either. My 21W HiD went 3-4 times the distance in a tight beam. I scooter on most dives and beam projection is very important to me. I won't be moving away from HID anytime soon.

·
miles and miles from any good diving
108 Posts
The other week Colin put a 16w LED 6 degree focus in the water alongside his 14w CD HiD. He reported that he couldn't tell the beams apart. I couldn't see much between them either. My 21W HiD went 3-4 times the distance in a tight beam. I scooter on most dives and beam projection is very important to me. I won't be moving away from HID anytime soon.
Rob - have you been able to have a play with the 21W light monkey LED torch yet? I would be interested in your comparision to the torches mentioned above

·
4,501 Posts
Rob - have you been able to have a play with the 21W light monkey LED torch yet? I would be interested in your comparision to the torches mentioned above
No I haven't. On paper it's less light for greater consumption over the 21W HiD (on maximum setting) and you can't focus it, but on the flip side you can select the power setting so when you don't need a fish frier you can calm things down. It's not a light that I am personally drawn towards over the HiD but I can see why it appeals to others.

I do intend to get hold of one but it won't be for another month or so. I'll post something when I get one wet.

·
Driving my truck with my high-heels on...
5,509 Posts
I would also say that my Custom Divers Hid uses a 13 degree focus but when they were side by side there was no visible difference in the beam spread or the hot spot in the middle of the cone either . I was actually disapointed as I expected more from Led . As Rob says his 21w did penetrate 3-4 times further but in a much tighter beam .

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a UK cave diver (never dived in the sea!) lights are pretty important t me, and I've played with a few over the years. I have used HIDs but never really got on with them, plus we treat lights pretty roughly and HID bulbs break...

So, LED lights.
I built a home build based on Cree LEDS in an array which amounted to 1200 lumens, powered by 14v LiIon battery. I loved the light but it was not utterly trustworthy, so decided to buy one. This came down to 3 choices;

Dive Rite LED LUX.
Really liked the look of this, but was told no stock in UK (by the importer) and 5 weeks lead time. So, I order a £600 light without actually seeing it, and wait over a month... er no thanks.
Halcyon EOS.
Very nice light. Not cheap. I liked the NiMH battery as it's simple and reliable and easy and cheap to replace if it dies. Very bright (1000 lumen +) Not as tightly focussed as some, but not a problem. Very white light. The only downside for me was that the headset is not like a torch shape. It's fine if you only ever hand mount, but I sometimes want to helmet mount and couldn't see how that could work. Also, big blue 'H' would make me look DIR! ;-) The cannister is also quite long. 5 hour burn time quoted.
Hollis LED16
Physically just what I wanted; small cannister and small torch shaped headset. Comes with Goodman handle and 'soft' elastic strap. Light is not quite as white, with a slight green tint, but this is only noticable next to a whiter light. Lithium Polymer battery. A bit of a difficult one this. LiPo batteries are pretty cutting edge, and a bit of research shows they are a bit 'twitchy' with horror stories of fires and explosions if improperly charged. Very high capacity, low self discharge, and expensive. You need to care for them by storing them at around 40% charge if possible, and charge just before use. The light is very nicely made, with head and cannister both double sealed, so if either leaks it won't flood the other. The battery itself is sealed into the cannister. There are no wires etc to connect; the head (and charger) connects by pins in the lid which connect with sockets in the cannister when the lid is fitted. You can turn the lid 180 degrees so no contact is made for transport etc. The LiPo battery is flight legal due to low lithium content. Burn time quoted as 4 hours.

I bought the Hollis. I have so far done 3 UK cave dives in 4-5 metre vis. The light is excellent, can't fault it's output or build quality. I do have concerns regarding the LiPo battery, but I guess I'll just find out. Burn time appears to be at least the 4 hours claimed. I'm off to Sardinia in a few weeks, where the caves are bigger and the water clearer. I'll report back.

Hope this helps. For what it's worth, if the Halcyon had come with a more conventional headset, I'd have bought it, but so far I'm very impressed with the Hollis.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, I should point out that whilst the Goodman handle was perfectly serviceable, the soft strap uses the handle base with the actual handle taken off. This base is much wider than my hand, so I 'modified' it (with a hacksaw!) as I won't want the handle, and it meant I wouldn't be able to helmet mount it. Taking a hacksaw to such an expensive purchase made me concentrate, I can tell you! (the base is removable from the headset, so no risk of damage to the expensive bit!)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've yet to see something I'd want to replace my Halcyon 10w focusable HID (helios 4.5). A narrow penetrating light with 4hr burn time is enough for me. I've compared it with LED and brighter HID but the combination of size and function still works for me.

·
aka,,, Tom Thompson
3,626 Posts
I've yet to see something I'd want to replace my Halcyon 10w focusable HID (helios 4.5). A narrow penetrating light with 4hr burn time is enough for me. I've compared it with LED and brighter HID but the combination of size and function still works for me.
but ,,, is it what you would buy if you were buying new now ,,, i guess thats more the question , im the same with my hallogen head on a metalsub , i will replace the head with an led at some point , but wouldnt run out and do it now ,,, but if i bought new tomorrow , id buy the new 32w led metalsub...

·
4,501 Posts
dwhitlow said:
A 10w HiD suits most people. 21w's are nice but 10w does just fine in most applications outside of shitty water scootering.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts