YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 352 Posts

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of quick release is best for 50mm webbing - the side pinch style, the front press style, or something else? By best I just mean is least likely to pop open under tension, let the webbing slip through of just break.

Thanks for any helpful replies.

·
Se mi havus multe da mono mi acxetus novan biciklo
1,030 Posts
AP use the front press style on their BCs and reckon it's stronger than the size press type.

Might depend on the application though. There are also those who don't like any breaks in harness webbing at all.

·
Still young enough to know everything
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AP use the front press style on their BCs and reckon it's stronger than the size press type.
I know they used to at least, but on my (relatively new) buddy commando they have used the side press style. Anyone know why they changed?

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
I guess in response to the op (having re-read it ;)) I can't see that the plastic ones would be any worse... I guess my concern would be how easily either could be accidentally undone

·
A Moderate from 04/01/07-24/12/12
11,804 Posts
I suppose I could just cut the webbing, but that would get expensive, and also quite annoying, having to rethread a harness for every dive...
The emphasis I took from your first post was that you needed a quick release and I presumed you meant in an emergency. I don't what kind of diving requires that emergency level of release after every dive. Most dives you have plenty of time to get out of a harness which, as has been repeated ad infinitum on here, is easily achieved with a properly adjusted OPH.

Although I know from your previous posts you love extreme thinking and what if the worst happens but it's really not a great idea to build your dive system around how to deal with the extremes only because I think you end up with a config which will ended up dealing with none of them. Many people on here talk about their gear config and how incidents caused them to rethink their config. So at best they have a config which suits their last dive, but does not necessarily cater for the next problem they will have. Of course they can change that after it occurs but it does mean they keep changing.

Most dives will go off smoothly and so my preference is to build a system for those dives and which gives me the comfort to enjoy those dives - e.g. a harness which fits just right every time and is not a bit tighter than last time or a bit looser but just right. like the last time and the time before that and so on.

So long as the config has the ability to cope with an extreme or the diving practice prevents/mitigates that extreme then I am happy. I am also happy to dive a config that has been tested repeatedly by thousands and thousands of extreme dives meaning I don't have to. I am not sure I make the best crash-test dummy.
HTH
Mal

·
aka j_b
862 Posts
I went OPH earlier this year, yes it was a pain at first, but it's a knack you get :)
If I'm in so much trouble that I need to be cut out of it, I get the feeling that it'll be the last thing on my mind anyway.
Makes buddy checks quicker too... Releases? Just the one thanks :)

1 - 20 of 352 Posts