YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In recent years, I have been a happy user of the Custom Diver reels, but they do have a problem, they are pants for laying lines. Basically there is no way to keep tension in the line, it’s especially tough if you’re wearing thick gloves.

I used to get around this by using a Kent Tooling spool, which is a very nice and just about indestructible piece of kit. I liked the spool so much I have two of them. However, in Dover this weekend, I felt that a spool was not the ideal solution as there often seemed to be many people near the shot and I didn’t want to drop the spool and tie someone up in line.

So, I thought about it and decided that a friction or ratchet reel was the solution. Not being a fan friction reels in general, I asked John of Kent Tooling if I could look at one of his ratchet reels. John very kindly joined us for dinner on Saturday where we talked about the options and I left with a very shiny ratchet reel.

I used this reel on 4 dives and just had to post to say how happy I am with it. As always with Kent Tooling kit, it’s extremely well made and incredibly well thought out. The reel can switch seamlessly between free running or thumb operated ratchet modes. In ratchet mode, it was ideal for laying line and keeping tension. If I dropped the reel it stayed as close to me as the last tie off - which is very important to me.

I can say without doubt, this is the best reel I have ever used, and there have been many over the years:

MacMahon – too big, and the handle snapped off on mine
Mini MacMahon – PITA to reel in, and both mine and Blanaid’s broke
MGE – caused my hand to ache having to apply constant tension to the spring release
Pathfinder – just can’t seem to get on with friction reels
Custom Divers – difficult to lay line with
Spool – excellent back up, but poor for all round use

Some users feel that the KT ratchet is heavy, and whilst I agree it is heavy, I find this gives me a very positive feeling about it’s quality and it’s ability to deal with the abuse divers tend to give their kit, after all, I have broken other types of reel.

It’s an excellent piece of kit and I wish I had got one sooner!

Juz

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I hate anything big or heavy and I don't want stuff clipped off on my backplate which is why I have a spool and a Buddy Pocket Reel.

I have no idea how well either of the solutions work for me as I have just switched from the large McMahon reel. I liked the reel but found it was too large and if your pressed the release too hard the reel jammed.

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
The nearest thing to perfection I've found four line laying is the Halcyon reel. It's my favourite bit of kit, but it has no tensioner. However, its design makes it easy to use a finger whilst paying out line.

Regards,

Mark

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
juz - stop this now!

i want a KT ratchet reel and a crack bottle. which will be coming hopefully in a few weeks :D

its all your fault :D

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i want a KT ratchet reel

its all your fault :D
CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - ahhhh, nicely back to the shotline.

Juz

·
Mark Milburn
4,076 Posts
I have a Kent Tooling ratchet reel and a KT friction reel, I like the friction for reeling off or with an SMB but haven't tried the ratchet for reeling off.

I use my ratchet for my DSMB, I'd hate to not have it on an ascent, it holds my DSMB upright all on its own.

·
Resident Windfarmologist
1,852 Posts
CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - CLICK - ahhhh, nicely back to the shotline.

Juz
barsteward :D

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
Bought one from John around november time and absolutely love it tried a few club members reels and didn't think a lot of them then i bought a KT and loved it instantly. Johns customer service was only lacking in one area the reel wasn't delivered by a tall big breasted blonde looking to satisfy my needs:teeth:

·
Proud to be "small minded" in the face of credulit
2,910 Posts
But the Kent Tooling reel means you don't have to compromise - it's the best of all worlds!
I know it's heresy, but I've played with the KT stuff at shows and not liked it.

I expect to to be exiled to St Helena by morning.

Regards,

Mark

G

·
but if only you had bought the mans version rather than the small girly one Juz :)
:D

·
The man who makes nice "SHINY" things
1,706 Posts

·
The man who makes nice "SHINY" things
1,706 Posts
Don't worry, his 150m line has a cut in it at 75m, so either piece is shorter than mine!

Juz
i think you better go back to school Juz because if you cut his line in half it makes 63m not 75m as he has the 125m reel :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts