• 'Stroke' vs DIR ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've deliberately kept the choice between these two as ancillary issues such as 'Bungied or not Bungied wings', or 'Should the PADI OW course entail an element of Rescue in it?' are invariably off-shoots of the above two.

That said, please feel free to add below any other issues which regularly get voiced and never resolved here and elsewhere.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I went for PADI v BSAC. At least with the DIR v Stroke you tend to learn wee tit-bits of genuine information out of them. The BSAC v PADI is just the same old tedious sh*te!!!!

Peter

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

PADI vs BSAC everytime. The problem is that EVERYONE has an opinion on it and the threads get so long that anyone who wasn't there from the start gets lost. It all gets a bit like every thread on handbag.net - it goes round and round and round in circles!

The stroke vs DIR ones are quite funny though as you will always get someone who thinks that everyone else is going to die in the near future

Paul

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (peter k @ Aug. 21 2003,16:32)]I went for PADI v BSAC. At least with the DIR v Stroke you tend to learn wee tit-bits of genuine information out of them. The BSAC v PADI is just the same old tedious sh*te!!!!

Peter
Hi

Normally Peter I would have to agree, but it gets annoying when people use the effing St**ke word, just like in this post, starting all over again. You can guarantee that the whole discussion deteriorates at that point. What constructive conclusion will come out of this thread I just don't know.

They're just discussions, sometimes heated, but discussions nonetheless. Thats what the forums for. As long as no-one gets nasty and bears a grudge then thats OK. And thats what makes YD a superior community of people. And no-one is forcing you to read about it, its easy to recognise them, usually the ones with most posts and most viewings (funny that eh!)

I notice that those who post that its boring are usually the people who post on multiple forums with the same subject and so for the one discussion I have, for some I suppose they're having three or four, which is kind of understandable why they get bored of it all.

Andy

PS I don't suppose you'd be willing to change the title of that option on your poll Bren.

PPS How about Headsup making Stroke a banned word

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hello List,

Can I choose both  
 , as in both things there is good and bad or depends on experience or how much you are prepared to learn. The bad thing start when someone tries to impose his idea . And then let others to choose what is good for them and their diving enviorment.

Regards

Pierre

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

I too went for PADIvBSAC arguements as they tend to be such petty debates over such an insignificant matter - oh, by the way, I believe that should be BSAC v PADI as BSAC divers are def the bullies/aggressors on this arguement - and yes that is a significant point.

All the world knows that good PADI trained divers, such as myself, are the best.

We are the most balanced, lacking in anything that could be considered as self oppinionation and of course are fair minded and would not wish to stir anything up with our fellow divers from BSAC. Just because they are considered novices for the first 20 years of training and are not allowed in the sea with anything more techiical than a snorkel is no reason to take the piss.

Naturally PADI trained divers have a marvellous sense of humour and exquisite sense of when to duck so I won't be around for a few days.

You know it makes sense and no, I am not talking shit. Nor am I pepared to eat my words.

Over to you boys and girls - no need to be too nasty. OK, go for it!

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

Thanks for that spirited rant Lettuce  
 So which one did you choose??  

And ironically, no one has yet commented that the 'BSAC vs PADI' bebate never errupts on here - probably because of the unwritten law (and YD lore) that it should not break out on these pages.

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Aug. 21 2003,17:02)]Thanks for that spirited rant Lettuce  
 So which one did you choose??  
LOL Thingy vs DIR is what I chose mate

Got them photies yet and when ya next diving ?

Andy

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Bren,

You just fancied a scrap. Go on. Admit it.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wetlettuce @ Aug. 21 2003,16:46)]Normally Peter I would have to agree, but it gets annoying when people use the effing St**ke word, just like in this post, starting all over again.
You might be right,  but I guess it depends on peoples view of the word stroke...  I just see it as a convenient label for people who are non DIR  and whether it has been taken out of contect or not I don't let it get to me.

So that's it for me a convenient label,  I don't care whether people label me a stroke or not.

I suppose that from many of the DIR guy's (yourself included) and even non DIR divers who actually see a stroke as a dangerous diver and not neccessarily a non DIR diver it might grate but it's only a label.  

I think I know where you are coming from on this Andy, but I do think that many of the non DIR divers on this forum just use the term tongue in cheek to describe a non DIR diver, not neccessarily a diver with outright dangerous practices.

Daz

(Anyway I voted PADI vs BSAC just because as has been said before the DIR vs Thingy  
debates are usually informative)

Addendum :-  Anyway I don't like to be a thingy diver, so can we have an alternative name for non DIR.  
  I would suggest DIW but that could cause just as much trouble as the S word.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>This is a "discussion forum", so I don't think there should be any subject considered off limits - if people want to talk about something, then let them. If you're not interested in the subject matter, look elsewhere. It's inevitable that old threads are going to get rehashed. It might bore you, but it will be fresh and interesting to new members/divers.

It's the tone and manner of some posters that can be offensive, and I presume that it may be recent posts on the rebreather forum that has sparked some comment. If the Admins are thinking that there may be room to flex a little muscle I would suggest a word (or PM) in a couple of individual's ears might be more appropriate than banning certain subject matter.

So, I don't mind. I voted for neither.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

Have to say I agree whole-heartedly with Mark on this one - boring as both can be (and as interesting sometimes), all it takes is one poster to either use an offensive/derogatory tone and from there on the post just goes rapidly downhill.
Regards, and dive safe
Martin

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Well l voted for the Macho crowbar Bsac diver vs nice friendly helpfull padi diver.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I didn't vote, cos I couldn't care less which agency people did their basic training with, or what kit and configuration they use or which philosophy they follow, as long as they don't endanger MY life.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

John

As usual well said.

Howard

Please note which macho BSAC diver put his crowbar down long enough to help the struggeling nice PADI diver back into the boat. Rhib recovery in a Force 7 not on the sylabus then?  

Or is it a speciality costing £100 ish  

Safe Diving whoever you trained with,

Paul

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (John Gulliver @ Aug. 21 2003,18:31)]I didn't vote, cos I couldn't care less which agency people did their basic training with, or what kit and configuration they use or which philosophy they follow........
Gully, Dude,

You and Lettuce make a dandy pair! I sometimes feel I should be setting questions for psychometric tests to see who can read the question properly, along the lines of (and here's one I made earlier):

" I love Paris in the
the Srpingtime..."

I didn't ask how you feel about the various aspects of the two options in question OTHER than, or over and above which arguement you find the most annoying - no one asked you which training agency you prefer or which one you consider to be gash!! Ditto kit configs.

And I say again, the BSAC vs PADI ruck never errupts on these boards, and yet most of you, on current evidence at least, find it more annoying that the other option! Curious.

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I've always prefered marmalade to jam however I've recently obtained some very good raspberry jam and it certainly hits the spot.

BTW I voted for chicken.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Aug. 21 2003,20:30)]I didn't ask how you feel about the various aspects of the two options in questions OTHER than, or over and above which arguement you find the most annoying - no one asked you which training agency you prefer or find which one you consider to be gash!! Ditto kit configs.
Well then, Bren, I'll put it in plain words: Both rucks are equally irritiating and meaningless, as is your question.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

I put PADI/BSAC.  Totally pointless - both get people in the water safely and that's what's important.

The DIR/stroke thing is great - MONTHS of good entertainment in the Clan, and they're like people on the Atkins diet, they can't resist biting or trying to slip their point in somewhere!  (By the way, carbs are poison!!!  

1 - 20 of 81 Posts