YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I bought a pony set from Brum last weekend and have been wondering what side to mount it for my individual kit confuguration.

I have a Buddy Commando, hence a small BCD Cylinder (of 0.7? ltrs I think) on the right/rear. My Faber steel 3ltr came with a Dacor Eagle with a smaller hose than I'm used to. The hose is about 3/4 of a metre, where as the hoses on my Apex ATX40 are about a metre & a metre and a 1/4 for main DV and octopus.

I was thinking that this (RHS) pony placement was quite natural as regs usually come over the left shoulder. This plus the fact that the Dacor hose is smaller as stated, and has the hose come into the mouth peice DV on the RHS too. But then I thought about the imbalance of pony plus bc inflator, and my weight belt adjustments. I could try putting the pony on the left but then have to think carefully about routing of hoses as the DV has its hose come in on the RHS which means routing the hose through/over the main cylinders 1st stage. I.E behind my head and over the right shoulder. Again its hose is shorter, preventing this.

Also, does anyone unvert their pony? bringing the hose round under the arm and clipping it to the BC at the waist?. I wondered about this as the thought of three DVs coming over my left shoulder suggests confustion in a 'buddy out of air' situation.

My config up to now has been main and Octo over right shoulder with Octo on one of those yellow catapulet elastics round my neck, which I'm used to and don't really want to change at the moment.

Does anyone remove their primary 1st stage Octopus DV when using a pony so only having two DVs or am I right out of the window in my thinking here?

What do you do and what are your reasons behind it?

Cheers,

Dave C  

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

hi. when i first got a pony i had one of the little bottles on my BC, and still managed to mount my pony on the right very easily. after a while i realised that if i had a pony i didn't need the little bottle for redundancy, so i took it off! i think they're silly things anyway - only really bought it for the re-sale value!

so now i have my pony on the right, and pony reg bungee-d next to my pony - i can reach round with my right hand and get it as easily as i would be able to reach the handle on the buddy emergency cylinder - and can free it with one pull. so i end up (relatively) uncluttered, and still have my occy on my front for anyone to grab.

i definitely wouldn't remove your occy - in an emergency it would be better to have two people breathing off a big tank than one on a big tank and one forced over to the pony.

hope this helps!

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Hmm. I dive with a single DV on my main tank, and a pony (if I'm ever diving a pony + single). The main is on a 2m hose, and the pony on an octo-length sideslung. If you sidesling your pony, you don't need to clip the pony/necklace it, you can just leave it rigged like a stage, with the reg held in place at the top of the tank by a loop of bungee around the neck of the tank.

Personally, I prefer to have the pony on my right. It works with the hog loop from my main tank, as then I don't need to tuck any excess, it just sits under the tank (DIR style) It also doesn't get in the way of my inflator, which comes over the left. If you do use a pony on the left, use an octo length hose, and you can loop it over the back of your neck and into your mouth comfortably. That said, in the event of needing it, I'd probably not want to be looping regs over the back of my neck. So, on the right for my money.

If you bungee/inner tube the hose to the side of the pony, using an octo length hose means that you can pull the reg out far enough to breathe leaving a small loop of hose under the bungees. When you want to restow, pull the loop, and the reg is restowed easily. I learnt this the hard way.

If you want an octo length hose, I've got plenty of them. £20 with a free Cressi 2nd stage on the end.

As for your suicide bottle, don't get me started. Jut leave it.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

And your inverted bit won't work with a normal length hose unless you have a very short body, or a swivel on the 2nd stage. You'd need an octo-length hose.

Just to qualify my one DV on one tank theory, it's on the take my reg out of my mouth principle, at which point the pony is my bail-out, not yours. That's what the reserve is in my tank for - you.

Hope all this helps.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Dave
I dive a 12 & Pony on a TekWing. I have 2 valves on the primary on the 12l and a single on the pony, inverted right hand side, longer hose required. The pony valve does take a bit of a bashing on some exits so be careful if you go this way. I dont have any balance/trim issues, I have an additional weight on my belt to counteract the tendency to roll. The pony hose is clipped off to my waist rather than bungeed, but whatever works is fine by me. I use 2 dv's on the main tank so as to be able to donate easily without having to go to the pony.
HTH
Matt

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Nov. 20 2003,12:19)]Just to qualify my one DV on one tank theory, it's on the take my reg out of my mouth principle, at which point the pony is my bail-out, not yours. That's what the reserve is in my tank for - you.
fair enough. but my thinking is that normally on dives i have more than twice the air in my main tank than in my pony (i.e. more than 100bar in my main). so assuming someone's grabbed my main reg or occy, i've got more air available to me by breathing off my main tank - hence two DVs

i agree that if air was to get low, i'd switch to my pony myself, not give it away

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Dave,

There's no problems back mounting a pony onto a Commando - and mine is ally so a lot bigger than a steelie - comfortably. Ditch the silly bottle anyhow as do you really need it?

Bouyancy by drysuit and/or bcd - and I'd not fancy using my Autoair to change my Commando into a "rebreather"

Mine is mounted on the left hand side using a standard reg hose which loops under the inflator hose and round behind my neck and is clipped onto my right shoulder (I'll buy some bungee for it - one day
 ). I toyed with the idea of sideslinging the pony but there's no real attachment points suitable on the Commando. Front crossmount could be done but is arse ache to say the least.

To invert, you will need a decent (1.5-2m) hose and has the advantages that you can prime and shut down the pony to prevent freeflow and crack it open as soon as needed.

Join me for a dive (or beer) and I'll show you the set up.

PS I use a metalsub clamp so there's no roll or movement probs.

Milnes tonight?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]normally on dives i have more than twice the air in my main tank than in my pony (i.e. more than 100bar in my main). so assuming someone's grabbed my main reg or occy, i've got more air available to me by breathing off my main tank
But when your panicked, stressed, OOA buddy starts huffing and puffing on your octopus DV, that air supply comes under a lot of strain - SACs of around 100l/min are known to have occured!

If you're on your pony and your buddy's on the main cylinder, you cut down on the risk that the main cylinder will get breathed down to empty before you surface, and also on the risk of 1st stage freezing.

I use a twinset now, but if went back to single & pony, I'd have one DV per valve only..

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Imported post

You are using a pony for non deco dives so all it is for is to get you to the surface. Less kit, less to go wrong, less cluttered, less to be bought and serviced. One DV a cylinder works for me.
I have even seen two DV's on each cylinder on a manifolded set of twins, why?

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rupert Bear @ Nov. 20 2003,14:02)]I have even seen two DV's on each cylinder on a manifolded set of twins, why?
<font color='#000080'>Hi

Because they were there?

Andy

·
"hardly ever here"
799 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Nov. 20 2003,13:53)]But when your panicked, stressed, OOA buddy starts huffing and puffing on your octopus DV, that air supply comes under a lot of strain - SACs of around 100l/min are known to have occured!
fair enough - if that was the situation i would change to my pony. or if the air in my main tank got below about 100bar, or if it was below 100bar to start with, i'd go on to my pony.

but my reasoning is that it is reasonably likely that my buddy won't be massively stressed out and panicking - i don't think that a lot of the people i dive with panic that easily. it is also likely that i will have more than 100 bar in my main tank. so if i give the reg on my main tank to my buddy, and it's the only one, i've limited myself to my pony (i.e. less air than the half of what's in the main tank that would be available to me). and i like to keep my options open in these situations  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I keep my pony clamped on my LHS. 1 valve on the 12 and 1 valve on the 3. My main DV goes over my right shoulder, my suit hose goes under my right shoulder. On the pony(LHS) I run the BCD inflator and have another DV going under my left arm clipped under my chin. It leaves no clutter at the back of me and gives me an extra source of bouyancy to boot. In theory it's twin independants , just with a 12 + 3.

Peter

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

All perfectly true chaps, we have debated this before. 2 DV on the main would mean that a non-catastrophic failure of the main dv i.e. lost mouth piece and the dive continues, one dv and its abort time.
Horses for courses and different strokes (oops) for different folks. Your kit your choice.

Regards
Matt

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've been playing with my configuration for several years and, for what it's worth, decided that the following set-up works best for me:
Pony on the right side of my tank, inverted, with the hose (octopus length) under my right arm and the dv on a bungee necklace.
Primary reg on an ocean longhose (1.5 m) also under my right arm, across my chest, over my left shoulder, round my neck and into my mouth from the right side.
Octopus hose under my left arm with the dv, on an omniswivel (Apeks don't make left-handed regs), clipped to a D-ring at my left shoulder.
If my buddy took my main reg, I would go for my pony reg. My octopus is really superfluous here at home – a lot of things would have to go wrong for me to need to use it – but on trips abroad, when I haven't got my pony, it becomes my own back-up.

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

Thanks Folks,

This has been an interesting thread. I'm off to meet Gav and Drifty in the local tonight for some refreshment. I'm sure I'll have my brow beaten from various angles/sides/under/over my left and right shoulders/clipped to my BCD/on a bungee and fanally tied off to my pony cylinder. With all this bondage and entanglement I hope to have one arm free to reach my pint.

Cheers

Dave C

1 - 16 of 16 Posts