YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>After four years of enjoying chilly UK waters I'm about to take my first trip abroad.
I'm going to the Red Sea in early November and would welcome some suggestions on wetsuit choice.
What style and thickness would you recommend (I'm pretty tolerant of the cold) and do you have any favourite make or model that's currently available?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Well I always use a 5mm one piece in the red sea but you might get away with a 3mm if you are cold tolerant possibly add a rash vest.

Daz

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

I was fine in a 3mm full suit in April but had a 3mm shortie over the top of it for the Thistlegorm night dive and some of the deeper ones toward the end of the week.

Hope this helps,

Noel

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>5mm Aquazar semi dry is the firm favorite M8 and dont forget the hood.

Actualy I dont know the temp in November but if its less than 25 I would recommend the above. I have dved in March and January and the above did the job in between 15 and 20 c other 5mm suited divers were a bit cold at the end of the week

You can never be too warm in the water.

Mark Chase

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

I dived the Red Sea in February this year and the temp was around the 20 degree mark.  I found a full suit absolutely fine - it was 3mm on the arms and legs and 5mm on the body, really comfortable and I didn't feel the cold once!

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Thanks for those suggestions - a 5mm semi-dry looks like the option to go for.

Apart from the Aquazar that Mark recommended has anyone else got a brand that they'd enthuse about? I'm thinking in terms of fit and quality of construction.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Davies @ June 18 2003,12:51)]Thanks for those suggestions - a 5mm semi-dry looks like the option to go for.

Apart from the Aquazar that Mark recommended has anyone else got a brand that they'd enthuse about? I'm thinking in terms of fit and quality of construction.
<font color='#000080'>Hi Mark,

Most of the mainstream brands are reasonable quality.  Don't bother narrowing your options down to one or two makes,  try lots on and get the one that is the best fit.

A reasonable quality well fitting suit will be much warmer than a brilliant quality, never wears out ill fitting suit.

Also ignore the hype with these, titanium liners/glideskins/super lubed liner crap.  Fit is the most important.

BTW :- I use a Cressi because it was a good fit.  

Daz

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I was in the Red Sea in mid-December last year, water temp was a fairly steady 25 deg C (according to the Vyper), I had a 5mm shortie and my other half used a 3mm pool suit with a lycra "skin" shirt underneath. No hoods and definately no gloves (presume you know the no-gloves philosophy for coral reef diving?) I don't recall either one of us being cold underwater, but topside can get a bit chilly with the wind-chill factor
Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Most of the mainstream brands are reasonable quality.  Don't bother narrowing your options down to one or two makes,  try lots on and get the one that is the best fit
When I got my wetsuit, I looked at only ONE brand: Beaver. Never considered anyone else.

The "You've one £100 of free Beaver gear" from Louise at Diver might have had something to do with my sudden loyalty tho..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts