YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>Hi,

I know there are a few threads similar to this, but I'm looking at getting a wing/ backplate/ harness system and am interested in people's views. I dive with twin 10's, drysuit & occasionaly a stage.

I've narrowed down my options to:

- combro or oms backplate (or the Woz plate!)
- halcyon explorer 40 wing or oms unbungied 45lb single bladder
- oms comfort harness (I'm a girl!) or build own

What are peoples views or opinions of the above?

Jen

·
So raise your hand if you think that was a Russian
11,158 Posts
Imported post

The Halcyon BP (and some others) have slots cut so that you can use cam bands to hold a single cylinder.
This, in combination with the pioneer wing's built in sta gives a very nice single tank option.

I bought and OMS BP years ago and recently swapped to the Halcyon one just to get this functionality - I still do a lot of diving with twin 12's, it's just that the twin 7's were getting a bit of a PITA to use on relatively shallow club dives.

If they are the same price, I'd definately get a BP with the extra slots in.

WRT wings, I have a Dive Rite Classic and the Pioneer (both non bungeed, of course
). I went for the 36lb Pioneer as I thought that it was a good idea in case I need to lift anyone, but so far I've had it nowehere near fully inflated, except on the surface.

The classic (45lb?  I bought it a long time ago) is more than adequate for the biggest dive I've done so far - Twin 12 Steels, 2 x Ally 7's and an Ally 80.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Imported post

I dive with a combro plate, self rigged harness and a bungeed DiveRite SuperWing (very un-DIR!  
).

After much adjustment the rig is now very comfortable and stable and great at the surface (its like laying on a lilo!) but the biggest disadvantage was the self rigging; it takes quite some time to get it how you want it.

·
Banned
7,008 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>A Woz plate (best be nice to him)
a home made harness (the OMS IQ is a pile of POO IMHO)

the wings tricky if you want one for twins and single so  I won't comment

·
Registered
78 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>hi
i use the dive rite plate withe the dive rite IQ harness with one clip in it on the left side took a while to get just right but one i got it its top to use easy to kit up look on there web pages www.dive-rite.com plus i have got the rec wing like the super wing just smaller aparently good for twin 12 and two 7 stages thats what ive seen it on any ways good wing not realy mmmassivee like a 100 lb one see what you think
speedy:p

·
Registered
330 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>
Hi I have a dive rite wing and a halcyon backplate and continuous webbing harness and I love it its a compleatly different dive much more stable . It took a little pratice to get used to getting out of the continuous webbing harness in the water for rib diving but now its great and can do it with no poblems.
Fiona.

·
Prime mate
264 Posts
Imported post

Seeing as you're a girl, go for a harness without a chest strap.  Chest straps never seem to be in the right place (my girlfriend will attest to this!), and with a build-your-own harness you won't need one anyway.

The "comfort" harnesses sound nice but I found they don't actually add any comfort underwater and are not as adjustable.

I also found the combro backplate a bit too 'angled' - it dug into my shoulder blades, particularly when using a wetsuit.
I use a halycon backplate and home-built harness and I'd recommend them.

Moan, grump, whinge etc.

r

·
hmmm.. open circuit revisited...
760 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#008080'>Hi Jen,

I guess you already know what I;m going to say, but 'ere goes anyway..

- combro or oms backplate (or the Woz plate!)

Any stainless BP is fine for UK diving. Unless you are likely to use a single setup in the UK for training I doubt you'll need the extra slots, as the stainless plate is likely too heavy to take abroad anyway.. so you will need to look out for an ali plate with slots or STA to cover warm water diving.. or keep you BC for that ;-)

- halcyon explorer 40 wing or oms unbungied 45lb single bladder

Either is fine. The DiveRite Classic is also OK, if you can get one. Drop me a line if you decide to go for the Classic. A mate of mine has one kicking about he no longer uses (has packed in diving)

- oms comfort harness (I'm a girl!) or build own

Build your own! You can make it as comfi as you like with bits of neoprene if need be, but you will waste your money if buying a commercial one that just has d-rings and straps in all the wrong places ;-)

If you want to try out an Explorer 40 and backplate give me a shout.

Anke

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Got to say that a Woz plate is a good option as it's much thicker than other plates on the market (obviously the thicker options, the 3mm will be just the same as the others!) so you can take some weight off your belt with it. I'm about to sell the combro plate and get a Woz plate I think, I've found that the combro plate is a bit narrow, so gets between my shoulder blades a bit. Thanks to Woz for taking this on board and widening the top of the plate.

On the wing option, the TekWing will do the job just fine for twin 10s. I've put twin 12s on one, and it coped. I've got the OMS now, and I'd reccomend that for what you're doing, but don't get the IQ unless you're really sold on it. They're not exactly great, and have all sorts of clips and D-rings that you don't really need most of the time, and they're bloody expensive! Once again, Woz to the rescue, get on and you can get all the bits for a harness online. www.kitfondle.co.uk has got everything you need pretty much. And it's all at lower than LDS prices naturally!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts