YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
That's Members Representative to you!
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Imagine if you will.... You've decided on a 10L twinset. Your jacket isn't really up to holding twin-10's and you don't want to modify it as it'll still be handy for any single cylinder diving that may come up...

So... You have some spare cash, which wing setup would you buy? You want good quality but not at extortionate prices, for example I bought a CommandoTD as my choice of jacket.

You also don't want to be messing around with creating harnesses etc, so a complete ready-made set-up would be advantageous. It would also be advantageous to be able to use the wing with twin7's and maybe, someday, twin12's.

It needs to be compact too! And robust, as most of the diving will be off club RIBs in choppy north wales seas...

Can't think of anything else right now... So... Imagine Santa is going to be good to you this year and give me your x-mas shopping list!!

Ta!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Buddy redwing, combro plate, build a harness yourself as it's dead easy. Complete rig for under £200, will work for 7s to 12s no problem.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

There seems to have been a number of cheap 2nd hand OMS IQ harnesses and bladders around recently - I've dived this with a 45lb wing with twin 12s, single 15 steel and single 12 ALU (not altogether of course) - no problems at all - converting from twins to a single just needs a couple of cam bands and yer sorted.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The Redwing is exactly the same shapewise - the only difference is that the corrugated hose and dump valve have been swapped round, and the sides are black instead of red.

Swap the hose & valve back round, and you've got a black Tekwing.

I bought the Tekwing because I wanted the red bits, and because I thought I might want the ABS plate might be useful for wetsuit diving. I still like the red part, but I will never use the ABS plate - I have an alu for that.

·
Concreting the world!
767 Posts
Imported post

I use a Dive Rite Rec Wing, Combro steel plate and a DIY harness with a break in the left side, I also had the plate powder coated to take the sharp edges off.  The whole set up cost about £200.  I've yet to see a BCD that can handle twin 12's and 2x7L sidemounts for that price.

Cheers

Simon

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Virtually identical setup to Simon's and very happy with it.

Simon,  when you say powder coated, do you mean like the coating on cylinders?

Daz

·
Registered
45 Posts
Imported post

Personally I use a Transpac II wit the stabaliser plates and a Superwing sual bladder.  No heavy backplate required - loads of lift - stacks of adjustment for various suits and light enough to take aborad.  I have also invested in the ultra system which uses cam bands instead of steel bands so that I can make up independent twins when away from the UK

there are also lots of accessories for the transpac - great system

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Well, I've used my Tekwing and Combro plate with everything from single 10s in the pool to twin 12s and a stage. It handled all of that admirably. I'd reccommend it to anyone, and it's especially cheap for a very nice setup. If you want webbing for your harness, let me know. I can get it for £1 a metre. You want to rig your own harness, you really do. You can customise it, and you can fix it in seconds. It's the best way of doing it.

You do need to put eyelets in a Tekwing if you want to use SS bolts (your best and only option with the combro plate) but that can be done for very little, and you can again decide which holes you want to use for your twins. I use different holes for 10s to 12s, for example, otherwise I find the tanks either too high or too low, or generally in the wrong place for me.

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

Dom/Digger

Is there any reason not to use the Buddy harness with the combro backplate? I'm going to be using this for both dry suit and wetsuit diving, so it needs to be very adjustable, and I don't want to be faffing about adjusting the harness all the time...

Where's the best place to get the back-plate (and the single tank adaptor!)

Thanks,

Justin.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Justin,

I'm in exactly the same boat, seriously considered the one piece harness, and may still do it but with adjustment on both shoulders.

I've just ordered most of the bits & pieces to make my harness from A.P Valves by phone after selecting the items from the catalogue on their website. Webbing £1.40 mtr, shoulder buckles £1.70 ish, A.P valves published prices also include delivery. S/S weight retainers & D-Rings coming from Runnymede Diving. The total cost in all being just shy of £20.

Backplate came from www.combro.co.uk £40 delivered or £30 if you live near Newhaven & can collect.

So total cost for brand new backplate & harness, less than £50.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Justin Owen @ Nov. 25 2003,20:30)]Where's the best place to get the back-plate (and the single tank adaptor!)
No STA required,  the combro plate has slots for cambands.

Daz

·
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

Nice one Darren, glad to know i'm not the only one going through all this! Think i've pretty much decided on Tekwing, Combro, adjustable harness and twin 7's + twin 10's... Sure I sure the combro at cheaper than £40 on the UKRS website (link thru Doms) though...?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

The actual price is £25.53 + £4.47 VAT collected.

Delivery is £10.

£40 in all.

UKRS Link

Daz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts