YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I'm looking to get myself a new bc.  Ive shortlisted two contenders and am looking for any comments on them.

The choice comes down to either a Diverite Transpac with a 50lb Recwing

or

The OMS IQ system with a 60lb single bladder wing.

I want a system which is flexable enough to handle diving on a single when teaching,  but will also take a twinset and maybe a stage cylinder when I'm not teaching.  I know a SS BP is the popular way to go, but I'm not sure about taking a BP for a week of diving in the Redsea and dont really want to have a different kit configuration when diving at home to diving overseas.

Thanks All

Darren

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I bought mine with the idea of using it with a single at first, then upgrading to twins also so that it'd be suitable for warm-water diving. consequently I got the OMS bladder with IQ harness/ali BP and two cam bands (~£390 from DWH), that way I can use a single with the cam bands, or bolt twins onto the BP,  the IQ harness is warm to the touch so no cold shocks if you're diving in tee-shirt or even no shirt! The Ali BP is very light too as you can imagine so no problems with airline weight limits or overweighting in the case of FUBAR situations. I know some people get a seperate ABS BP for overseas but with an Ali BP  I personally don't think the weight difference is significant enough to warrant the extra purchase. In fact I'm not sure if the Ali BP is any heavier than the thick plastic BP
HTH
Steve

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Interesting that at least 3 out of the 4 folks diving at Swanage who had twins all had "premade" harnesses instead of one-piece ones (I told you i was sniffing round them!).  Are they more comfy?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

No, they just think paying more for added clutter makes them look cool  

(Asbestos, quick!!)

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>THe usual preference as stated is that the pre-made harnesses are easier to don/doff, I know the guys using BP + webbing will say it's not an issue but again it's all a matter of personal choice.

I'm sure we could arrange for a couple of advocates of each argument to let you try their rigs, if we get together in the lakes as suggested I'm happy to give you a bash on my rig, just need someone with the BP/webbing setup
Chee-az
Steve

Say Dominic, have you seen "Twelve Monkies" ?  Don't mess with Dr Evil  
   Baw haw haw haw haw....

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ummm premade or one piece....

OK this really is an objective view.  I have a transpac 2 harness and trekwing,  used it with singles and a pony.  Great, loved it and very comfy.  Not cluttered at all...

Or so I thought.

Put together a one piece harness when I decided to go with twins on a SS backplate.  I really, really like it.  

The transpac is very comfy, and extremely light (My holiday setup  
) but it does somehow seem more cluttered than the one piece harness.  Don't get me wrong it is not a major headache, but it is the little things like the D ring chest strap arrangement that makes it seem more cluttered.

If I could get a nice cheap ali backplate and STA I would probably stick with the one piece harness for everything.

Daz

Lou :- As an afterthought if you want I will bring both to Anglesey and you are welcome to try them both.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ May 29 2003,16:24)]but it is the little things like the D ring chest strap arrangement that makes it seem more cluttered.
<font color='#0000FF'>I got rid of my chest strap as it seemed a bit pointless, maybe that's why I don't feel my harness is cluttered?
Chee-az
steve

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Hi Lou,

I had the Custom Divers wing and harness which is OK but:

I cut off the chest strap (I couldent see the point)
I cut off the crotch strap (I kept forgeting to do it up any way)

Most of the D rings on the chest are useless clutter even with full two stage rig.

That said I cant use a 1 piece harness as kitting up and de kitting involves dislocation of both sholders for me and the rig is never snug enough in the water.

I have two 6" adjustable straps on the CD rig which easily release to kive me loads of on and off slack and they have D rings at the end that are very usefull for pulling the adjustment straps and hanging kit on.

The rig is very user freindly when kitting up / de kitting in a rocking and roleing boat.  

The one piece harness is very cleen looking and clutter free and it can be rigged with a clip in line that allows slack on one arm for ease of kitting up but it just dosent sit snug enough for me as I hate my twin set roling arround on my back. I like it well welded in place which is probably why I dont need a crotch or chest strap on my one. When I have done the sholder straps up tight it dosent move any where.

I would like to loose all the chest D rings except two, and loose the two big SS o rings that form the sholder harness and keep the rest. But that is a custom build job and I have to say the standard rig is not that bad that I feel inclined to spend the time and money doing it.

I am on the YD trip to Anglsea now so if you want a play with a wing I can lend you my one for comparason.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Lou,

Mine is a TranspacII, I hate it, like Mark, I like mine to fit tight on to me, the Transpac does this and is mega comfy in the water, but it is such a nightmare to take apart and put back together again. I am going to move over to a Custom Divers harness just as soon as I have the spare cash.

Andrew

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

For someone whose job involves making sometimes very expensive decisions I'm terrible at doing it when it's my own money!

We are only starting to look around at the options now that Swanage has convinced Caroline that we really want wings....

So, I'm sat here with the Custom Divers TDB, the OMS 45lb with backplate and harness and the DiveRite Rec wings with b/p and harness specs all laid out in front of me.  All the prices seem similar.  All are single bladder.  All look pretty similar, as I guess, they would.

What I want to be able to do is use the kit for both singles and twins at a future date, hence looking at bungied wings rather than two different wings for two rigs.  

Now I'm convinced the only way to choose is to try them on and I am going to have to do a trek to a few shops!

I reckon we might take up all those offers for a shot at Anglesey, ta v much.

Lou

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ May 30 2003,16:31)]
<Snip>

What I want to be able to do is use the kit for both singles and twins at a future date, hence looking at bungied wings rather than two different wings for two rigs.  

<Snip>

Lou
Hi Lou,

I think you'll struggle to achieve this.

IMO, wings that are a good shape for singles are invariably rubbish for twins and vice versa.

You may find you end up getting two anyway.

HTH
Rob.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've used my OMS for both singles and twins and other than having to add some lead at the rear of the single config (to counteract the natural forward tipping) it works fine for me.

Chee-az
Steve (a.k.a Batman, apparently  
)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Hi Rob

The Rec wings say they are ok for both?  The idea is that we can use it with singles at first, then upgrade to twins later but still use the rig for singles on holiday etc......is that unrealistic?  Should we just go for one, save up for twins *and* keep the BCs for holiday?

I was hoping that we might be able to use the wing in OCtober when we go to Canada, but it is only ali single 80s supplied.

Cheers

Lou

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ May 30 2003,17:08)]Hi Rob

The Rec wings say they are ok for both?  The idea is that we can use it with singles at first, then upgrade to twins later but still use the rig for singles on holiday etc......is that unrealistic?  Should we just go for one, save up for twins *and* keep the BCs for holiday?

I was hoping that we might be able to use the wing in OCtober when we go to Canada, but it is only ali single 80s supplied.

Cheers

Lou
Hi Lou,

The point is that you can use one wing for both if you really want to but you always end up with some kind of a compromise.

It's better if possible to go for a wing designed for use with twinsets for a twinset and vice versa.

It would just be a shame to get a wing that doesn't really work properly for either.[1]

If it was me I would either go for a dedicated single wing and get the upgrade for the twins later or wait until getting twins before getting the wing.

YMMV all IMHO of course.

HTH
Rob.

[1] I have no experience of using a recwing so do not take this as a comment that recwings are no good.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Thanks Rob...what do you use, BTW?  The problem is that whenever I buy 1 I have to buy 2 as my buddy is my other half!  Hence the thought of 4 wings has me lying on the floor hyperventilating!

Dr W.....Do you mean you used the London bus for a single???  Was it really fine?  That is quite encouraging.  This might be silly but wasn't there a big gap around the cylinder before the inflated portion starts and wouldn't this make it "flappy"?

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Lou

I had this dilemma when I first changed my kit to a single wing setup. Halcyon, OMS or Diverite. Taking away the choice of harness, you're left with a number of issues.

What size twin set will you eventually purchase ?

How often will you use a single?

How much do you want to spend?

I think when you get a 'one wing fits all' then you get a jack of all trades and master of none situation.

What I did

Ideally for a singles wing I wanted the cylinder as close to the backplate as possible and the 'wing' to perfectly fit the contour of the cylinder without any large air movements. I also use a single quite a lot what with regular pool sessions, some club dives and holidays.

Doubles are obviously heavier but also wider in which case they need a wider wing. This width may cause them to wrap around the single cylinder effectively trapping air at the highest point making it hard to dump and also causing air to move around as I alter my position in the water. I wanted twin 12's and so I knew I needed quite a large doubles wing.

The rec wings rate at 50lbs, easily enough for twin 12's. This may mean that when using singles there is more movement of the air in the wing which may mean less stability or less efficient dumping or both. Diverite also show the trek wing at 40lbs, enough for twin 7's and will have less movement. They also point out that the bungee is to help prevent the wing wrapping round the tank when using singles. This effectively means they are sized for doubles ie wide. The OMS had a 45lb wing but had the same disadvantages. I just felt they were too wide and would be less comfortable than a specifically dedicated singles wing.

So what did I choose? Well I chose a Pioneer 36lb wing and harness knowing I would buy an Explorer wing when I got my twins. It also came with the cambands and slots in the backplate to fit the cylinder without a Single tank adaptor. I liked the idea of a no frills harness which was so much cleaner than my old BC. Now when I go on holiday or go in the pool I can use the same harness and backplate but with the single wing. Mostly in the UK I use a 55lb wing with twin 12's. If your choosing to use twin 7's then a 40lb wing would be better.

I hope that helps

WL

PS one side issue is pockets. You will lose pockets when you change to a wing and so you may need some drysuit pockets.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>London bus
 That's why I use it for my "Summer Holidays" doo doo do-do doo doo doo....

Yep, used a single 12 on "The Bus" for half a year or so, also used it on a 200bar 12 l in the Red Sea just before Xmas.

I'm not sure what the problem is ith your caveat
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]gap around the cylinder before the inflated portion starts and wouldn't this make it "flappy
but if we're going to do that hook up in the lakes I'm more than happy to let you try it out with both a single and my twin 10s. As it's bungied there's no discernable "flap factor" that I'm aware of  

Chee-az
steve

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

The Trek wing is great for singles, 12+ pony and twin twelves. Had no probs with it. Would get something bigger though if I was not in a drysuit - just for extra redundancy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ May 30 2003,17:39)]Thanks Rob...what do you use, BTW?  The problem is that whenever I buy 1 I have to buy 2 as my buddy is my other half!  Hence the thought of 4 wings has me lying on the floor hyperventilating!

<snip>
I use a 36lb pioneer for singles. It's probably a bit big and I could probably get away with a 27lb but the shape is good for singles.

For my twin twelves I use a 40lb Explorer.

I can see why the thought of buying four makes you hyperventilate, I though getting two was bad enough  

1 - 20 of 33 Posts