YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Hi All,
Theres not many dive shops on the Yorkshire coast. This one could prove to be a little gem, as it has always been a chore diving out of Whitby as you struggle to get air and as for mixed gas forget it.
 Yorkshire diving services now offer up to 300bar clean air with Nitrox and Trimix comming before the season kicks off.
They also do full servicing, PADI/TDI courses, and are going to be doing some dive trips out of whitby this season on a hard boat for around £15 a dive ( based on 8 divers ) to some of the many wrecks in the area from novice to tech stuff and you can pretty much pick your dates.
Viz is a bit shitty close to land, but as you get out it improves and with the right winds at slack can be really good.
Theres all manor of accomadation to choose from, for every buget.
Ray who owns the shop is a nice bloke and has put a lot into the place over the last year and is trying to get Whitby on the map as a diving location for all Agencys.
It would be good to have a Yorkshire Divers gig thats in Yorkshire! (Its a good night out as well, trust me!
).
Would anyone be up for it ?  

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Hinchliffe @ Jan. 22 2004,20:10)] 
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It would be good to have a Yorkshire Divers gig thats in Yorkshire!
It'd be a first!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
(Its a good night out as well, trust me!
).
My ex was from Whitby so I've seen the nightlife there on several occasions,  hmmmm... oh yeah, it rocks  

Still, a good plan, I might be up for that
Chee-az
Steve

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

I'm in for that.

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Hinchliffe @ Jan. 22 2004,20:10)][Viz is a bit shitty close to land,
as black as Satan's arse comes to mind  

having said that really enjoyed a couple of weekend trips out of Whitby, especially with lashings of fish and chips in The Magpie.

Simon

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

Whitby is nearly my local, I'll be up for it good style, the only reason I've never dived there before is because it was all near the shore stuff and satans arse had been mentioned..

·
Registered
559 Posts
Imported post

Dived out of Whitby in 1999 with Alan Holmes who ran a big blue RIB commercially.
A memorable dive on the Athos, 26m, pitch black, crapvis. Ambled around for a while until best buddy, Pat my wife, got spooked thinking she could be inside something without knowing it-----------sensible girl!!
Then decided to ascend, and found her cuff dump was jammed shut. As she was on her way up to an uncertain future, she managed to grab me and pulled me up too as a computer bleeping drogue anchor. During this adventure, the resident Lions Mane jellyfish chapter elected a biggun to wrap its tentacles around my lip in a fond embrace OWWWW

Thank goodness her dump blew itself open such was the internal pressure in her drysuit, so all was well.
We got blown out for the Sunday.
It was only after several Rhatarse beers that my throbbing lips were soothed

Whitby is a great place and it's good news there is a boat going to go from there.
Our landlady in the BandB was the nearest thing to Mrs Merton you will ever meet, if that lot doesn't make you want to go, nothing will---------when we went the following year we were blown out for the whole weekend and still had a great time.

Cheers, Malcolm.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Sound stuff Andy, Dave
Ill get something sorted, how are you fixed for May 22/23rd ish? As an old Scarboro sea dog once said " dunt dive Whitby till`t Daffodils ave deed n stop when`t leaves fall of tree`s".
Good thing is theres plenty for the other half to do while we`re ripping portholes off.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>kirklees sac are in whitby this weekend so if u want to come 4 a pint pm us and ill give a number

·
The King Of The Divan
1,848 Posts
Imported post

The UC 70 is worth a dive as well - broken up(ish) U Boat.

I think that it was also written up in one of the Diver Wreck Tours.

The highlight for us though had to be the Dracula Experience (especially after a couple of pre dinner pints) - best couple of quid ever spent on "end of the pier" type amusements ever - pure tat (but great tat for all that).

Simon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts