YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Who got you hooked? - what early influences made you a diver?

• Troy and Marina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The little mermaid

• Thunderbird four

• 60000 leagues under the sea

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

ok so it's that time on a saturday night and just wondering whether anyone else thinks their love of scuba was formed at an early age by watching the undersea word of jacques Cousteau or some other thing on tv or in a book?

if you vote for something else you have to tell us what, no matter how embarassing....

jules

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Simply went to the Maldives for a wet in 1990 and the rest is history.

OK, I'd seen Jack the Frenchman on TV and loved it, but my absent mind had never really said: "Gotta do that some day......" - truth is I was simply too much in awe of what I was watching.

Next thing I knew I was asked whether I wanted to go on a wet in the Indian Ocean, was in a position to do so and went. Next thing you know, and over 1500 dives later, I'm organising gigs off Anglesey..!  

Happy Days!!

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Probably all the above ... except The Little Mermaid! But in addition, and especially, all those compulsory dive sequences in all the Bond films!

I was finally pushed to take it up when I injured my back and had to give up rock climbing and mountain biking. I was looking around for something I could think of as an "adventure" sport that was less physically demanding.

Being nowhere near the sea, diving didn't immediately come to mind but then a couple of friends tried it on their honeymoon and carried on with it when they got back - so I realised there were possibilities even in Manchester.

The rest is history ... (sadly, including my friend's marriage!).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Imported post

Definetly `The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau`. I remember sitting on my Dad`s knee watching it, I think it was on Saturday nights. Enthralling stuff in it`s day. I just brought some VHS tapes of the series but it seems a bit tame now.

I tried to get into the sport in my teens, but in those days, BSAC ruled supreme. Part of the swimming test was to tread water for 4 hours, and swim for 20 miles with an anvil strapped to your back. Diving Officers had the power of life or death over trainees. Thats probably why PADI`s rise to power in the UK came so quickly. Most people did not want to devote 24 hours a day to diving and saw BSAC as a bit of an institution.

Twenty years later, I walked into a dive shop to buy a mask and snorkel, found how easy it was to learn to dive, and now I`m obsessed.

What about Hans Hass ? He should be on the list.............

Steve

·
Registered
301 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Julia C @ Aug. 03 2003,00:09)]ok so it's that time on a saturday night and just wondering whether anyone else thinks their love of scuba was formed at an early age by watching the undersea word of jacques Cousteau or some other thing on tv or in a book?

if you vote for something else you have to tell us what, no matter how embarassing....

jules
<font color='#8D38C9'>Mumz addicted.

·
The Artist formerly known as 'John Duncan'
364 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#F52887'>I remember Hans and Lotte Haas on TV when I was small but I was scared of water and only learned to swim when I was 34! Now you cant keep me out of the water.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Clearly remember Jacque Cousteau but reckon my (1960s) Action Man with black rubber outfit was quite influential. I can remember being about 9 years old and trying to make my own scuba suit from a roll of reddish rubber I found in the greenhouse, I thought "Hey that's the same stuff as James Bonds scuba suit in Thunderball", at the same timeframe I also remember a mad plan to put tiles on the wall of the garage to create a mini swimming pool, kids eh? (or should that be "kidz" Bethi?  
)

As an adult I remember snorkelling on holiday (Turkey) and got talking to a guy who'd just come back from Egypt diving in the Nile above the Aswan Dam amongst the submerged temples there, sounded really cool and I would have gotten into it then but he said it would cost "about a grand" at the time I was only earning 7.5k PA so thought, maybe later....

Started training with the Uni club after being asked in my interview for my PhD "Do you dive? No? then if you get this job it would be a good idea to learn"  , and what a damn fine idea it was too

PS I voted for Thunderbird 4 because my Action Man didn't have wind up arms like the poll said, in fact I can remember the first Talking Action Man (and taking it apart to find out how it worked...doh!)

PPS I see no one has voted for 60,000 leagues under the sea, someone doesn't know their Jules Verne eh Julia  

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I got drunk one night with my Aunt and Uncle. Decided to stay at their house overnight and when I woke up the next day it was scorching hot. They decided to go for a picnic, and a couple of dives, so we tagged along thinking the fresh air will do our heads good. Sat on the beach at Loch Fyne all day watching the nutters go into the cold-looking water and generally taking the p*ss(I did already know a lot of them). They finished up their dives and my Uncle persuaded me to sling on my Aunts gear(I'm 5'10" and thin as a rake, she's 6' and plump. Or am I just confused?) and go in. Started pool training a week later.

Peter

·
Registered
301 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ Aug. 03 2003,12:54)]I also remember a mad plan to put tiles on the wall of the garage to create a mini swimming pool, kids eh? (or should that be "kidz" Bethi?  
)
<font color='#8D38C9'>are you tekking da piss outa me?just caz im kool n u aint!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I'll tell you all something else I've realised since Bethi came on the boards. Mark Chase isn't dyslexic, he's actually either (a)13 or (b) a spectacuarly forward thinking 40-something.

Sorry Mark, only kidding.
Peter

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

What got me into diving....

Well just about every natural history program on the undersea world.  Always loved the water and marine life in general, loved snorkelling but somehow never had the nerve to sign up for a course.

Sat on the beach one day on holiday and the instructor from the local dive centre strolled up and asked if I would like to have a try dive.  Well after my initial, "No I don't think so" the wife told me to bugger off and give it a try (She knew how much I loved being in the water).  I agreed to have a go...

One try dive later and I signed straight up for a course..  The rest as they say is history...  Took me a further 3 years to get the wife to give it a try and she was soon hooked as well

Daz

·
Registered
179 Posts
Imported post

Spent most of my youth on the sea on boats(my dad, grandad and uncles were all very keen fishing men and had boats) and I am very much a waterbaby to boot, swimming and diving(as in divng from a board not scuba)were the only sports I was any good at but never ever thought going under the surface.Then about 3 years ago I went to nz with a friend who has always wanted to dive but didnt want to do it alone so I said I would do it with him but to be honest I wasnt very excited about it or dead keen on doing it, I was more interested in jumping of bridges and out of planes while over there, but I did it and have been hooked ever since, unlike my m8. I pretty much dive every weekend, my mate, maybe a couple of times a year...and he was the one dead keen to do it. I am trying to get him in the water more often but its a bit of a struggle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

The Adventures of Hans and Lottie Hass was on BBC some time ago I think that was before independant television. I remember I was about 10 and on holiday on Hayling Island when I first tried to get Scuba lessons.  It was irrational that the instructor refused to teach me, he said you had to be 14.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Imported post

One of those things I always wanted to try but never did. Then about three years ago I got very very bored of sittiing by a swimming pool when I was on holiday and tried a pool dive and the rest is, as they say, history. So holidays are now booked with three things in mind

1. Must have a nice pool for the DPO.
  2. MUST have a dive centre near by.
  3. And last but not least MUST have a bar.

GM

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'll tell you all something else I've realised since Bethi came on the boards. Mark Chase isn't dyslexic, he's actually either (a)13 or (b) a spectacuarly forward thinking 40-something
heheh... U think Bethi's bad for using the occasion bit of l33t-speak?
B gl4d 543 15|\|'+ |_|51ng |_|b3r-l33t, 1+'5 |\/||_|<|-| \/\/0r53 0|\| +3|-| 3y35

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

THat's it Peter! And to think all this time I thought I was tight 2 da max, had the 411 and was down with the homies, step off shorty, u got front but you ain't all that, you be illin homegirl. Us played out YD posse is still slamming, we got da juice, word is bond, def.
"everybody on the boards say hooooooo......"  

MC Stevie W

(translation supplied on request)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

As a young kid, loved Jaques and anything to do with nature in general. Wanted to be a marine biologist since I was 10, but sadly didn't get the qualifications to go to Uni.
Did a dive in Oz when I was 25, but didn't carry it on when I got home until my wife booked me up for a course and now i can't think of life without diving - just wish I'd taken it up when I was single and reasonably well off and could have afforded all the things I crave but can't afford now!

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Aug. 04 2003,09:40)]B gl4d 543 15|\|'+ |_|51ng |_|b3r-l33t, 1+'5 |\/||_|<|-| \/\/0r53 0|\| +3|-| 3y35
Hey barman. I'll have a pint of what Dominics had(assuming it's legal of course)

Actually, I got as far as "Be glad she isn't using Uber****, it's much worse on the eyes.(that took 3hrs and my Enigma machine)

What's the "-l33t" mean

Peter

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I was a young skinny git of 11/12 watching those fantastic underwater progs (JC and hans etc) plus the Bond films and thought I'd love to do that. We had Sub Aqua club at school, very progressive my school was for an Inner London asylum, we also did archery, horse riding etc. But it was run by a great big bloke with a beard and a black rubber suit (er Bsac anyone) and as been said you had to be able to swim for 20 miles etc. so I never did really get into it. I had fins, mask and snorkel but one day I really did see my life flash before me as I exited the pool and someone trod on my head, please realise that I couldnt swim at all at this stage. So it went onto the back burner, the very back burner, but it festered so. Add to that I hated Sea water/Sea side sand and I wonder when it all happened. My boy was 14 bored with not having anything to do as the waves had all bar gone and we were supposed to be body boarding in Lanzarote, so we strolled into Calipso and enrolled on a course. Then came back, bought the kit and did Stoney in semis in September, loved it, hooked immediately. Done a few dives since then here and there, just called Action Divers Porthkerris, cheers Lou they seem very professional, to book up the dives for next week, grinning from ear to ear already.
Dive Newquay - boat gearbox gone belly up, suggested we call Thursday to see if its fixed, er bit late I feel as the other centres will be booked by then. They also havent replied to two e-mails I have sent them. Seems a bit slap-dash. Persoanl opinion only though, unless someone knows different.

Matt

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

l33t = Leet = elite - it's what the nerds who use it think they are ;)

l33t-speak is where you do simple repalcements, eg
Hello, I'm Dominic -> H3ll0, 1'm d0m1n1<
But then there's uber-l33t, where it gets NASTY
Hello, I'm Dominic -> |-|3|_|_0 |'|\/| |>0|\/|1|\|1<

1 - 20 of 46 Posts