YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

One for you commercial instructors. I'm just curious.

Under HSE guidelines, AIUI, a PADI or whatever instructor can't teach in OW without another qualified rescue diver with him - the idea being that the instructor looks after the students and the other rescue diver looks after the instructor.

So, if a PADI instructor is, say, training Rescue Divers to be Instructors, does he still need another rescue diver on hand, or are his rescue-trained trainees enough?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

AIUI,  the in water person has to be capable of rendering assistance to the instructor if required.  The in water person can be undergoing training at the time.

Best to check with the local HSE officer who covers the region as each region can interprete the guidelines differently.

Daz

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ Mar. 12 2004,16:26)]So, if a PADI instructor is, say, training Rescue Divers to be Instructors, does he still need another rescue diver on hand, or are his rescue-trained trainees enough?
It's not a PADI Rescue Diver etc, but a generic Rescue diver.
That could be any grade/agency with appropriate rescue
skills. And yes you would need one as they are "in training"
and yet to be certified.

At what point do they become "Rescue Trained". Certainly not
at the beginning when they are AOW. That's why they need to BE Rescue Divers.  

Mind you if you were training Divemasters might be a different
story, as long as you rotated them.  

TerryH  

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Not wishing to be pedantic Terry

But in Dom's example the divers in training are already 'rescue trained' and are being trained to be instructors.

You are correct they do not have to be PADI rescue trained, any agency should suffice as long as proof of rescue training can be produced for HSE purposes.

Not sure about other agencies but 'Rescue trained' by the PADI definition is when you have met all the requirements and standards of the rescue diver course and been signed off.

Not sure why rotating them is important though unless the instructor is an accident waiting to happen to give them all a fair crack of the whip as it were

HTH,
Daz

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Imported post

Whoops, that'll teach me to read the post properly.

Reason for rotation is that if you are being taught then
you are technicly not available.

No diffrent to an Instructor teaching mask clearing. For those
brief seconds he cant see his students.

I was DM'ing years ago when this happened on a now
successful PADI Inst. OW course, who bottled it at the
precise momment the teaching Inst. mask was off.

Of course the higher you go the less it matters, but I still play
the rotation game just in case.

Rgds
TerryH

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

I love solo diving, I only feel totally at peace in the water solo. No better than me divers to not screw up in front of. No worse than me diver to look after. No I wonder if he minds if I do this or go that way. No I want to abort / extend the dive but I wonder if my buddy will mind. Its just me and MY dive fantastic.

Diving with Andyp is a close second and has the added benefit of DID YOU  SEE THAT & EXCUSE ME DO YOU MIND CUTTING ME OUT OF THIS NET

Diving with anybody else is a way distant third but that is not to say that I haven’t dived with some great divers or that I haven’t taken great pleasure in helping other new divers do their first what ever thing, its just that it takes a while for a buddy pair to settle in and they have to have common goals for the pairing to last. Any new buddy is like a new pair of shoes. A bit uncomfortable at first.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Hopping Mad
134 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ Mar. 12 2004,16:57)]AIUI,  the in water person has to be capable of rendering assistance to the instructor if required.  The in water person can be undergoing training at the time.

Best to check with the local HSE officer who covers the region as each region can interprete the guidelines differently.

Daz
Indeed so, but the guidelines are that open to interpretation, that if you speak to the HSE on different days and get different people on the end of the phone, you get different answers.

Sometimes, they don't even seem to be able to agree what their own guidelines are and how to operate them.

This seems to be a theme that I hear more and more often; perhaps it's due to the HSE trying to bodge commercial diving regulations to fit teaching diving recreationally.

What it needs is a bespoke set of guidelines that are written solely for and apply solely to recreational instruction, so that would include BSAC courses as well as PADI etc.

That way, those under instruction would be covered by one set of rules and it would a whole lot easier to control.

My opinion, FWIW.

Nick

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What it needs is a bespoke set of guidelines that are written solely for and apply solely to recreational instruction, so that would include BSAC courses as well as PADI etc.
No it wouldn't - the BSAC doesn't come under HSE rules as it's a non-commercial operation. The HSE has about as much right to interfere with recreational divers as it does to ban me from cooking for myself in my own kitchen on the grounds that it only gets cleaned once a week

Except for the BSAC schools, that is..

But I agree that too much crap gets foisted on divers because rules intended for industry get applied to us - such as the new Nitrox valves, for instance. Getting rules made specifically for us would stop a lot of the silliness..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts