YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Well Balanced - Bitter and Twisted !!
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that alot of people think its a good idea, but very few have a card and have discussed it with there families.

As the postings to the YD forum have been very medical at times PFO , life insurance etc

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
I have one. Also registered online.

Blanaid and my parents know and understand my wishes.

They can have anything and everything that might be useful to someone.

Juz

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
My family and friends know my wishes and i've had a card for as long as i can remember if i go everything but my eyes (not really sure why just something about eyes) is up for grabs my watch gets pawned to pay for the bar at my wake.

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I registered online years ago.

When my old donor card fell apart after 12 years I phoned the helpline about getting a new one and they told me you don't need to carry one if you're registered.

Then a new card came through the post.

I like to keep one in my wallet just in case the worst should happen, 'cos with the state of Government run computer systems, my bits might not be much use by the time somebody runs the correct query. Some might say my bits aren't much use now, but I'm quite attached to them.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Yes, it's very important. They can have the lot. I really don't understand why some people are selective about what they wish to donate but each to their own.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Strange, but thats how i feel as well. Carried a card for over 20 years, wife knows my wishes, everything but my eyes they are welcome to

G

·
Ive just signed up to donate everything. I dont mind my organs going to someone in need. The only reason I would be a bit aprehensive would be if a murderer or a rapist or someone really bad needed them but I guess that its not up to me to make the decision on whether they deserve to live or not. Plus Ill be dead.

What does everyone else think? If you dont want to donate your organs, why dont you? Im just curious to peoples opinions on the matter.

I already give blood and Im a bone marrow donator too, I nearly got called up last year to donate my bone marrow but it wasnt a match in the end.

Aimz x

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Definitely a donor, it's not much use to me when I'm dead.

My father benefited for a while from another donor. Someone somewhere made a decision to help, we were lucky that that persons family abided by their wishes. Not all did.

Who knows what life you can improve as a result.

Adrian

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
Always carried a card but it is a little worn now. Just signed up online now.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
My family and friends know my wishes and i've had a card for as long as i can remember if i go everything but my eyes (not really sure why just something about eyes) is up for grabs my watch gets pawned to pay for the bar at my wake.
I know a elephant seal that needs a bigger belly is that on the list :D

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
I've carried a card since 1981 but registered online a while ago here How to become a donor

Safe diving,
Steve

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
Strange, but thats how i feel as well. Carried a card for over 20 years, wife knows my wishes, everything but my eyes they are welcome to
Yes that's the most common one that people have a problem with. I've assisted with hundreds of corneal grafts and can tell you that corneal donation can really enhance someones life. I can understand why people are reluctant but I'd urge anyone to overcome that. I guess an interesting question would be would you refuse a corneal graft?

·
Don't feel blue, think pink!
443 Posts
I have always been in favour of organ donation. If I'm dead I don't need my body, but it might be used to save or enhance many lives, so how could I possibly deprive people in need? As for criminals benefitting, well perhaps it would give them enough time to feel some remorse before they too cast off their mortal coil. Also, what if, through fear of a murderer or rapist getting one of my organs, I deprived a teenager on the brink of a wonderful future? I would rather think positive and give the gift of life.

·
Extracting the Urine
4,056 Posts
I can't explain the problem with my eyes it's not like i'm going to see someone wandering round with them just one of those weird irrational things i guess.

Graham is your skin on your card as i heard the moscow state circus is after a new big top:cat:

Reactions: milldog

·
Somewhere in the sea!!
113 Posts
I carry one and have done since I was 13.. My parents werent to happy at the thought orgianly (still not sure why) but thay know my whises and will respect them if the worst should happen..

I also give blood too!!

TTFN

TD

·
Registered
9 Posts
They can have it all,again except the eyes! Aint gonna need em when Im gone so I dont know what the problem is...not sure how much use the rest will be just dont request my liver ;-)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts