YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago I read "Deep Descent", which I enjoyed. It had a lot about the divers on the "Seeker" and the "Wahoo" diving the Doria.

I then read "The last Dive" which, though more specifically looks at the two main characters in the boat - Chris and Chrissy Rouse, does talk about the same divers as Deep Descent on the same dive boats, on the same dives - The Doria and also mentions the U-Who.

I have just gotten a copy of "Shadow Divers" and had a flick though to the pictures, which are of the same divers as the other two books, on the same dives - Doria, and U-Who of the same dive boats.

I guess "Shadow Divers Exposed" by Gary Gentil (also mentioned in all the other books) is also about all the same people.

Are there no diving / wreck books out there that are about the same bunch of divers during that period who dived the Doria and U-Who? And why are there so many books in that era with those people, is it just 'cause of the deaths, or what?

·
Nigel Hewitt
7,142 Posts
Because you are reading books by Americans.

Try reading 'The Darkness Beckons' by Martyn Farr.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because you are reading books by Americans.

Try reading 'The Darkness Beckons' by Martyn Farr.
Yep, I have read it, but there wasn't much about wrecks in it :)

I have read a couple of books by Martyn. He would encourage me to try cave diving, except that I really don't fancy any of the pictures of the UK caves I have seen. Maybe some day I will go to Florida or Mexico to do a cave course.

·
Banned
402 Posts
Shadow divers I have never read, but have read shadow divers exposed.

Shadow divers is about the wreck of the U-869, shadow divers exposed is a book about the lies and misconception in the original book. Aparently there are many points in shadow divers and a few in the last dive where they do not stick to what seems to be the truth quite as closely as they might have!
Also suggests that a lot of the stuff on 'deep sea detectives' isn't quite as it seems.

Makes you look at john chatterton in a different light....

It is a good book having read the ones you have; done in a completely different style. It makes you think to question what you would initially accept as fact a bit more closely.

·
Registered
91 Posts
A while ago I read "Deep Descent", which I enjoyed. It had a lot about the divers on the "Seeker" and the "Wahoo" diving the Doria.

I then read "The last Dive" which, though more specifically looks at the two main characters in the boat - Chris and Chrissy Rouse, does talk about the same divers as Deep Descent on the same dive boats, on the same dives - The Doria and also mentions the U-Who.

I have just gotten a copy of "Shadow Divers" and had a flick though to the pictures, which are of the same divers as the other two books, on the same dives - Doria, and U-Who of the same dive boats.

I guess "Shadow Divers Exposed" by Gary Gentil (also mentioned in all the other books) is also about all the same people.

Are there no diving / wreck books out there that are about the same bunch of divers during that period who dived the Doria and U-Who? And why are there so many books in that era with those people, is it just 'cause of the deaths, or what?
Have shadow divers,very good book,started reading The last dive,got about half way through and got bored.Each of these books seems to be a slight variation on the same theme.Am not intending to get Shadow divers exposed.(flogging a dead horse comes to mind) :)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
The Doria and the U-Who are/were THE two big dives of their day, the two charter boats were THE two big dive boats of their day also and as such I suppose only a few people actually got to dive the wrecks in those days, consequently the books are going to centre on the same divers and the rivalry between the skippers, especially as one was clearly a suicide waiting to happen.
They are/were also probably the only stuff really worth writing about, throw in the meteoric rise of the Ruses, the colourful fact they were a father and son team, argued like Hell and were at the forefront of Trimix/Cave diving and you have a cocktail just made to be written about.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts