YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Why do you dive? - I'm thinking as well!

• To see underwater life.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wrecks.

• Photography.

• Social side.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

With all the ongoing talk about experience and diving deeper than you're qualified to, and such things, I got to wondering why people dive.

I'll be honest and say that I dive to see the life but I'm also fascinated by the history behind wrecks.

I enjoy diving off my local beach in 5 metres max depth and spend many an hour watching hermit crabs.

As a heavy engineer by trade, I also enjoy looking at wrecks and the engineering that's on them.

I've also had some great days out on boats in fantastic weather with good company when it's been the whole day and not just the diving that's been good.

Comments anyone?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Imported post

All of the above  

Actually, not massively keen on wrecks unless they are covered in fish - I never know which part of the boat i'm looking at.  Blokes always know this.........how???

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Suzanne

This is a big secret and you are not to tell anyone but:-

Most blokes don't know what part of the wreck they are on eather, they just tell it well

For me its the diving, wrecks, reef, fishes etc. I do have a big interest in wreck history though.

Dive Safe

Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>i put the floaty feeling...but in retrospect, i should have put the life, cus i can sit and watch dizzy little blennies doing their thing for hours!! sad really but hey...it`s MY sad thing!  

Keeping it real dude

Rob

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

All of the above.

There is also a spirit of adventure, a scense of personal challenge and control, with just a bit of danger thrown in.

I have no single reason.

James  

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Coming from a fishing background (dont start
) I was interested in seeing my quarrie in their natural invironment. Having experienced the beauty underwater, I have now stopped fishing and enjoy the adventure, weightless ness and shiney kit that costs a fortune, I am soo twisted

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Paul Oliver @ Mar. 23 2004,00:18)]Most blokes don't know what part of the wreck they are on eather, they just tell it well
Paul,

You talk some rubbish, all blokes know the difference between the blunt end and the pointy bit!  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

For the privilage of the sensations of 'flying' and neutral buoyancy - the closest I'll ever get to actually flying!

Wrecks in all states of a return to nature; sea-life of all descriptions; the social life; the banter (divers, I find, are a rare breed and chock full of life experience which I find fascinating); the places you get to visit (both at sea - home and abroad  - and inland) and the travel there can often be part of the joy (I've never been, but they say the trip to both Mull and Oban is awesome!) the 'equality' of every dry-bag wearing UK diver looking like a 'bag o' spuds with a draw-string in the middle'; unlike Association Football, diving's non-tribal; the 'craic' and charaters on the dive boat; learning from skippers; learning from other divers - and they are legion - with a greater experience of a given dive site/area than me; new dives/dive sites; the realisation that DIR is not a 'disorder' - it's rather like being gay: it's a personal choice, and you're welcome to it if it works for you; GI3 in Speedos; GI3's 'bird'; pictures of cave/cavern diving; film of dives I'll never do (the Britannic, Lusitania etc.) the 'exotic tobacco' found in the far-flung (not that I partake of such things
) and, when all is said and done - the sheer fun and challenge of it all!

Here's to us, and those like us!

Dive safe all - always.

·
Nefarious Activist
2,298 Posts
Imported post

The lack of mobile phone reception underwater and the lack of meeting rooms are a big plus for me.

Ian

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

All of the above, I just love it all and it is the one place I truly feel at home.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Imported post

Diving is the ONLY time I truly and totally switch off from all the other sh*t that's going on in my life.

Thousands saved on therapy  
(at least that's my excuse for buying all those shiny toys)

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bren Tierney @ Mar. 23 2004,07:45)]the 'equality' of every dry-bag wearing UK diver looking like a 'bag o' spuds with a draw-string in the middle';
speak for your self sweetie! some of us look divine in our dry suits GRIN

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

Sensible answer now... All of the above apart from one, depth for depths sake, but i'll go there is there is something worth seeing.
I am  particularly addicted to neutral bounancy and flying underwater, i love the life and the priviledge of seeing stuff that's going on, critters doing stuff, new love of photography but a lot of that is about reliving my dives and being able to look things up in books later,, i love the adventure and the excitement i get when i am about to go diving and the exileration when i get back, i love the stunning scenery on the sound of mull, the peace and quite underwater. when i am diving i cant think about the mortgage , the kids, the load of stuff on the "too hard " pile at work and all the crap that life throws at you. The to do list is suspended. Leave me alone i am diving!
I love the freedom, i love the feeling that it's a joy to be alive, i genuinely have moments underwater when a sense of calm, peace and bliss overtakes me (at any depth so i dont think it's being narked)
I love the social side of diving and meeting people who feel the same about our shared hobby, both the passion for it and the love of life. There lots of people like that on YD.
The first time i dived i knew that i was a diver and would be for a long time.

Thanks for posting this question it has cheered me up a lot this morning.

By the way when i go to the dentist or have something horrible to deal  with I go into my head and relive diving moments. Am i alone in this ?? I suspect not.

jules

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Imported post

No matter how stressed I am, or how much s*** I have going on, as soon as my head disappears underwater I have always found that I'm completely relaxed, and that I have a huge grin on my face!

I've been a waterbaby for years, long before I started to dive.  Always loved swimming underwater - the only bummer was having to come up to breathe!!  Bu that said, as far as passion for diving goes I love the sensation of 'weightlessness' - this is probably at the root of it all for me.  As a kid I always wanted to be able to fly (don't laugh!), and I guess that this is as close as I'll ever get.  I did all my initial dives in the Maldives and had no intention of ever diving in the UK... got talked into doing my AOW here, and as soon I started to descend at Stoney the grin was back in place and I knew that I was hooked on diving in this country too.  

I also find the 'noise' of breathing bizarrely soothing, and I'll look at pretty much anything underwater and be quite contented.  As far as the social side of the sport goes - I love the banter and jest you get on the boat before and after.  I love the camaraderie and 'sixth sense' you get with a good buddy you dive with frequently (when you are both above or below the surface)

And besides, if I didn't dive, I'd have much more money in my bank account - why on earth would I want that  

Helen

·
Lucky Man
2,163 Posts
Imported post

I love seeing all the life under water, on reef or wreck, but voted for the floaty feeling as it's more than just the life - I love diving in a 2 meter pool with zip all to see  

I love the pre dive feelings of trepidation (alien environment survival) and anticipation (what will we see?), the serenity that comes from being under (regardless of what we see) and the sudden rush of disbelieving exhilaration when you see  something great (oh my god, shouting through the reg and pointing with both arms cos your buddy is missing the dolphins twirling behind him on the Thistlegorm cos he's focsued on a blenny  
)

Then there's the real reason of course - the endless amounts of shiny KIT you can buy and mess with!  

Dave.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts