YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read a thread about visiting Sharm and I wondered why I always need a visa to visit Marsa Alam? And Hurghada?

Does anyone know???

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Egypt has districts, like our counties
If you as a non Dom wants to move between, you need a visa. If you fly in to one area, and stay just there, you don't
So if I just fly to Marsa Alam and stay there, I don't need one?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Depends if your dive sites are classed as in that district, if you are in sharm, ras mohammad reserve is not classed as sharm, so visa required
I think it's a throw back to their military rule conditions

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
short answer = it's a money spinner
political answer = technically Egypt isn't one big happy joined-up country, so going from say Sharm up to Cairo, you're moving from one territory/region to another, and that's what the visa is for.

Yet, as far as I know, if you fly into Cairo you don't get made to buy a visa, and can walk straight into Sharm, but then need a visa to get back out again. I think it's pot luck some times.

If they called it a visitors levy or tourist ticket, I would have more respect for it than I have at the moment the way they masquerade it as a Visa. Along with the fact they take a lot of persuading to accept their own f'kin currency to buy one, and that it isn't their border/immigration control people issuing (selling!) them, it's any Tom, Dick or Ahmed you can find wandering around the airport with a roll of them in their pocket.

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
What DOES make sense once I asked, was the reason you have to have your passport on you when jumping on a boat. Technically you're leaving a port, but the joke that undermines that train of thoguht is that checks only get done in the morning on the way out, not on the way back in. You'd think that if they were going to only do one, they would keep and eye on who is coming in.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Surely just about any visa is just a tourist tax anyway? And on that basis , the uk is just as bad, unless you are an assylum seeker, in which case you get a free house, benefits etc etc etc

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Normally you have to apply for a visa, fill out a form, maybe visit the embassy, and background checks are common to check you're not a naughty boy or girl. In the UK if you need a visa, you need a visa. They don't let you in for free but then say "oooh if you want to go outside the M25, that'll be fifty euros me old mucka".

·
Squidgey Member
2,151 Posts
The visa aint half as bad as the diving tourist visa for Mayamar (Bhurma) If I remember correctley it was $22 Per day. :(

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts
Yes you do need a visa for Egypt. It is only on the Sinai side that has different rules if you are staying in around Sharm only. I have lived here seven years on an annual tourist visa. I renew it every year in Hurghada where you also need the entry/exit visa for those staying here long term and wishing to travel out of Egypt. Work is not permitted with the tourist visa and the residents visa is obtainable with a work permit but officially you must obtain the work before you arrive.

The authorities are checking everything now and you should always carry your passport when travelling around Egypt. Here are the guidelines from the Foreign Office:

Entry Requirements - Visas
British passport holders travelling to Egypt normally require a visa. However, the Egyptian authorities state that "British nationals travelling to Sharm El Sheikh, Dahab, Nuweiba and Taba resorts only, for up to 14 days, do not require a visa they shall receive a free entry permission stamp upon arrival. If you intend to travel out of the mentioned areas or overstay, you must obtain a visa." Visas can be obtained from an Egyptian Consulate outside Egypt or on arrival by payment in Sterling or USD, for stays of up to a month. If you have travelled to the Sinai peninsular, entering without a visa and your plans change you can normally purchase a visa at Sharm El Sheikh airport to allow you to travel. Applications for visa extensions should be made at Egyptian Passport and Immigration Offices. Further information is available from the Egyptian Consulate and any enquiries should be directed to the Egyptian authorities.

A visa does not guarantee entry into Egypt. The decision to allow or decline entry rests solely with the Egyptian immigration authorities and we cannot interfere in another country's immigration policy or procedures. We will, however, do all we properly can to make contact within 24 hours of hearing of the detention of a British national to offer advice and contact relatives in the UK if requested. You may have difficulties leaving Egypt with an out of date visa. You will not normally be allowed to leave if the visa is out of date by more than 14 days. For visas and further information on entry requirements, check with the Egyptian Embassy in your country of residence: the Egyptian Embassy in London.

Entry Requirements - Passport Validity
Your passport should be valid for at least six months.

Entry Requirements - Work Permits
Evidence of testing for HIV is required if you are applying for a work permit.

·
Registered
10,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Georgina. When you look on the Egyptian Embassy website under "visa" and "tourist visa" you get a spammy looking link.

This will be my 24th trip to Egypt and every time I go, I'm charged a different amount at the airport. £15 or $15 or £20 cos they have no change. Someone is making a mint and pocketing the change. It always strikes me as a bad way to welcome foreigners to their country.

But then again, I'm expecting it and won't be shocked.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Thanks Georgina. When you look on the Egyptian Embassy website under "visa" and "tourist visa" you get a spammy looking link.

This will be my 24th trip to Egypt and every time I go, I'm charged a different amount at the airport. £15 or $15 or £20 cos they have no change. Someone is making a mint and pocketing the change. It always strikes me as a bad way to welcome foreigners to their country.

I remember the first time I went. We were told the visa was £12, and to bring the exact money, as they 'never' have change. This is despite all the people with the correct money giving them pound coins.

The second time we went, out guide sorted them out for us, gave us the sticker, and we paid him on the bus.

Third time, as we were a group of around 30, we dispatched a gopher (my younger brother:D) to the Egyptian embassy in London, where he got all 30 passports stickered up.

As I said in the other thread, when Claire and I went at Christmas, we went to the bank of Egypt counter (furthest on the left IIRC) because there was no queue there, and the other queue was massive. £20 for 2 visas and no hassle, took about 30 seconds.

WRT visas in general - it's funny how some places charge, and others don't. Malaysia was free on arrival, as was Thailand. Indo was $25 for 30 days.

Mozambique was a funny one, they charge what they would be charged to enter your country, so we ended up paying £50 at the embassy in London. Although that was more for the convenience, better to have it than run the gauntlet of bribery and corruption that is an African border:)

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I remember the first time I went. We were told the visa was £12, and to bring the exact money, as they 'never' have change. This is despite all the people with the correct money giving them pound coins.

The second time we went, out guide sorted them out for us, gave us the sticker, and we paid him on the bus.

Third time, as we were a group of around 30, we dispatched a gopher (my younger brother:D) to the Egyptian embassy in London, where he got all 30 passports stickered up.

As I said in the other thread, when Claire and I went at Christmas, we went to the bank of Egypt counter (furthest on the left IIRC) because there was no queue there, and the other queue was massive. £20 for 2 visas and no hassle, took about 30 seconds.

WRT visas in general - it's funny how some places charge, and others don't. Malaysia was free on arrival, as was Thailand. Indo was $25 for 30 days.

Mozambique was a funny one, they charge what they would be charged to enter your country, so we ended up paying £50 at the embassy in London. Although that was more for the convenience, better to have it than run the gauntlet of bribery and corruption that is an African border:)
We went to Turkey in 1996 and I had to pay a tenner at the airport for a visa. The wife, being German, didn't have to pay anything.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

·
Living a champagne lifestyle on a lemonade budget!
1,430 Posts

Hurghada Information

As far as I know it is still $15 as per the above website so it is worth bringing $15 because you then avoid the discrepancy in currency exchange rates and it was always cheaper to pay $15 than GBP15. If you are visiting Egypt so many times you should look at comparing cost of buying an annual tourist visa with multiple entries and exits if you know roughly how many trips you will be doing. All prices in Duty Free in Egypt are US Dollars too.

·
Please note this post was made prior to 21 Dec 201
149 Posts
We went to Turkey in 1996 and I had to pay a tenner at the airport for a visa. The wife, being German, didn't have to pay anything.

Nothing has changed in Turkey - UK citizens still require a visa, normally obtained upon entry.

Most countries do this one way or another. USA charges for entry, even with visa waiver or ESTA. It is normally covered by the taxes on a air ticket, but if you go over the land border from Mexico you have to pay the border fee (USD5, if I remember correctly).
You also have to put up with a border agent who doesn't have a clue what to do with a UK passport, since it is the first one he/she has ever seen.

Chris

·
No longer a diver :o(
698 Posts
When we went to Marsa Alam last year we all payed with the correct money - in GBP.
At the end of our visit the guide asked us if we could change £50 of £1 coins in to notes as the Egyptian banks don't accept pound coins - as if by magic no one had got any notes to give him......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts