YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

After my dismal attempts to build me own torch. I'm now thinking about buying one. Thinking being the operative word, as I'm skint after Christmas, but there are a few months for me to save up before the next show.

I quite like the look of the Greenforce range, and some people in my club have Kowalskis. My budget is going to be somewhere in the £200 - £300 range (depending on pie and pint consumption over the next three months) so what do people have and what do you recommend?

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>There's another German manufacture other than Kawalski that make a very fine 50W Hid torch with 25-100% power range, automatic flashing of SOS morse code & switch to low power when 10% power left. I'm buggered though if I can remember they're name Bergmeister, Hertmeiner or similar.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Youve got a lot more to spend than I had so I bought a Spitz light its ok gives me enough for what I want, if it gets any darker I dont want to be there anyway.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

You mean "hope to have" I've only got a tenner so far, but I have given up drinking for January  
 (but start tomorrow  
) so if I make it I'm allowed some cash towards the torch fund.

·
wibble
11,450 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I have a FA&MI italian torch.  Umbilical job, a bit pricey though.  Retails out at over £400 now (got mine a wee bit cheaper).  Bloody bright, long burn time, quick charge, well made and customer service very very good.  What i really liked about was the clip on the battery pack - greenforce dont do them.  A girl in my club ribbed me for spending that much, saying "i bet your torch isnt 4 times better than mine, since it was 4 times as expensive".  She shut her trap after a deep dark dive.  Silly cow.

For price range, light cannon seems a very good torch for the price.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

I use a mini Vega Lantern which is within your budget (30-50) and is quite bright plus its non-rechargeable so battereries are quick replaceable jobs rather than wait 6/8 hrs before re-use, isnt that a great excuse for going cheap  

Its not brilliant (no pun intended) in the Kowalski/Hid/Expensive arena but its OK.
HTH
Matt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Imported post

£30-£50? Id recommend looking into the secondhand market for a torch in that price range.  Ukdiving.co.uk classifieds seems a pretty good place for equipment and is updated daily.  I think a torch is a great help in enjoying a dive so maybe its worth spending a little bit extra (probably say that about any bit of dive kit though tbh
).

HTH
Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Janos @ Jan. 04 2004,13:23)]After my dismal attempts to build me own torch. I'm now thinking about buying one. Thinking being the operative word, as I'm skint after Christmas, but there are a few months for me to save up before the next show.

I quite like the look of the Greenforce range, and some people in my club have Kowalskis. My budget is going to be somewhere in the £200 - £300 range (depending on pie and pint consumption over the next three months) so what do people have and what do you recommend?

Laters,
   Janos
Beaver do a very similar torch to the kowalskis , in fact they look identical at £200 but for £150 you get a smaller version called the Beaver Astro which is easier to handle and plenty bright enough with a 20 wt halogen , I'm pleased with it anyway  

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

Shite shite shite would've been a better name for this thread.  Greenforce could do with changing their name to Parcelforce because because your torch will spend more time with them than you.  The German one that nobody can remember the name of are excellent quality but burn time ain't up to much. Anything with a Beaver badge on it is not even worth talking about. Fa&mi are good torches but the umbilical ones turn into 2 seperate units quite easy.

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Imported post

It's all very speculative at the moment, but it's like holidays, half the fun's in the planning.

Well actually no I've read that and that's crap. Perhaps I'm better off with "if you don;t have a dream, how's your dream going to come true"

Porg, what FA&MI have you got? And it is tough? I need to have a torch that I can bash my girlfriend over the head with and it won't dent you see.

(Only joking but she's looking over my shoulder, but chances are I will drop it many times so I'm don;t think I want a HID)

Laters,
   Janos

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Imported post

I have a Nite Rider Blackwater 5000 which is a great lamp with a good burn time and pretty good recharge time too.  Their customer service is also 2nd to none.

I also have a Kowalski 1250 speed; again a good lamp but not as 'user friendly' as the Nite Rider.

If your thinking of a Kowalski, Lighthouse Diving do a great line in refurbished lamps at reasonable prices.

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

When i wrote that the Fa&mi umbilical seperates easily, that wasn't a good thing.  I've seen one cable come off completely and another where the gland came apart (it carried on working and didn't leak) while climbing out of a wreck. Brilliant light though.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Bright is good.  It doesn't seem to matter what's going on if you have enough light.

Sorry to hear you can't sort a DIY one.  What caused you the most problems? Perhaps we could suggest solutions?

Just finishing a 50w/85w halogen monster myself!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Sartek made the original Halcyon lights, and you can get them cheap from Phi Le (Decoweenie chap) - they're who I'll use if I get the pennies to buy a HID light..

·
Banned
1,217 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ Jan. 04 2004,22:36)]
Sorry to hear you can't sort a DIY one.  What caused you the most problems? Perhaps we could suggest solutions?
Perhaps he's sussed that you're better off letting somebody else do all the hard work and then if it f**ks up at least you've got somebody else to blame and repair it. And it won't weigh more than my car.  Shame you didn't have it with you today, we would've noticed you sneaking off

·
Registered
453 Posts
Imported post

Bit late coming to this thread:

Greenforce - renamed Brownforce by my friendly dive shop after nearly everything with mine had to be replaced and then we sent the thing back for a refund.

Mystical German manufacturer - Hartenberger.

Halcyon - first HID lights had a reputation for not being too reliable, friend of mine had his replced four times. Not sure about the newer model.

My buddy and I both use Custom Divers HID lights, not cheap but very compact. Quite fragile though, I've bust one bulb and Nat managed to pull the cord out of the lamp head.

HTH

Robert

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Adding to this

CD Lamps - Ask Ben - he's gone through 2 bulbs at £80 a throw. I really don't like the flimsly connectors either.

FaMi  - I've  heard good reports. Not keen on the light colour meself.

Greenforce - Had mine for a year and never a problem. Always works, never leaks and charges really quickly. I've heard horror stories myself but nothing has ever been wrong with mine or the second hand one that Fi bought.

Halcyon - Good reports from users - but you'd expect that :) However, I've heard tell terrible reliabilty with early units.

UK - Light Cannon - well made, cheap and if you're not stuck on having an umbilical then great value for money.

Lamps can be a nightmare - always make sure you have a good back-up !

·
I went DIR... but my bungies pulled me back!
400 Posts
Imported post

I use a Suunto F308, very happy with it.  Burn time just over the hour, recharge time just over 2.5 hours.  Fits nicely into my BC pocket.  Not too heavy for the flight allowance.  Cost just over £200 at the dive show a year ago.

If your interested Stoney Cove have Mares Phos 20w aluminium rechargable tourches for £160 at the moment, dont know much about them other than reading a review in Diver mag a while ago, sounded ok as I recall.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I am on my second Fa-Mi torch now.  The first was a 20w halogen umbilical that is still going strong despite many a knock and drop (Handed onto the wife).

My second is a 30w HID (Bright as f*ck) and very pleased I am with it.

Daz

1 - 20 of 24 Posts