YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Thought I'd ask here and see if any of you peeps had used any of these - I'm looking at getting a WAL for my pt-015 and I know about the following:

Inon UWL-100
Epoque Wide-angle lens DCL-20
Sea & Sea Wide Conversion Lens 58070

I'm tempted towards the inon since it can be upgraded later with the use of a dome unit to give 130 degrees coverage.

Any of you used any of these or have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Simon

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

I've just bought the inon for no other reason than recommendation from the store owner and having seen pictures taken with the lens.  Haven't tried it out yet (in the water anyway) so can't really say how good it is or how it compares.

Why not go to www.digitaldiver.net and ask the same question over there.  Hopefully you'll get an informed answer from somebody that has tried all the above.

Also, what strobes are you using?  The angle of coverage of the Inon (and maybe the others) is 100% so you really should have strobes which will match this - you may need to buy a 2nd!  Unless of course you shoot ambient light.

Tim

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Mar. 24 2004,17:36)]Why not go to www.digitaldiver.net and ask the same question over there.  
Thanks for the suggestion - had a look through their archives and it looks like the general view is to go with the inon, esp. with the possibility of adding the dome later.

Have you had a chance to try your's out yet? Also had a look at various places and it looks like this place in Japan have the lens for about £140 +P&P & import which should work out cheaper than the states (I've had good reports about the seller) so I'm going to drop him an email re shipping costs and times and see how it goes from there!

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Jeez. these guys are seriously cheap.  Let us know ho you get on with them.

Once I try the lens in the water I'll post somepics here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Imported post

Hi there
I use the Epoque w/a lens and get pretty good results - still getting used to my Oly5050z. The only drawback, which probably applies to the Inon as well, is the vignetting when used in combo with a filter on the housing - just don't use full w/a setting
HTH
Bill

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Timing @ Mar. 24 2004,19:43)]Jeez. these guys are seriously cheap.  Let us know ho you get on with them.
Well, I've just put my order in with http://www.uwdigitalcamera.com - apparently they give a 3% discount if you pay via paypal!?!?! Came to just under £160 inc. postage.

The guy who runs the company has been very good at answering my emails - I think the quickest answer was about 10 minutes after I posted Japan, so let's hope the rest of the process is as good - they've said it should take a week to get here...... can't wait

The only question now is if it's 1st dive will be Wraysbury
, Stoney
or Scylla

And I've got to start saving for the Inon strobe ..... I've a feeling my trusty old nikonos is going to have to go up for sale, my missus pointed out that the Nik V, a Housed nikon and the C5050 are a bit of an overkill - but I luv my toys!!!

Simon

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Just in case anyone was interested in this, Parcel Force tried to deliver the lens today - so 6 days from Japan including a weekend. Of course I was out when they tried to deliver it so have to wait another day to get my grubby mitts on it

Customs managed to get their hands on it, adding another £30 - so a total of about £190 which I still reckon is a good £30-£40 cheaper than anywhere in the UK.

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Well, if you bought the Inon for £190, then thats at least £100 cheaper than Ocean Optics.  I'd say that was a damned good deal.

·
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

and here's a photo from my 1st outing to test the lens today  
The pipefish at the bottom was just under a metre from the lens - still think I could try and get a bit nearer.

BTW - my buddy there is Riitta Toro, one of our assistant instructors and you can see some of her photos @ http://www.el-toro.co.uk/DiveToro/Divetoro.htm

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (billvet @ Mar. 25 2004,11:04)]Hi there
I use the Epoque w/a lens and get pretty good results - still getting used to my Oly5050z. The only drawback, which probably applies to the Inon as well, is the vignetting when used in combo with a filter on the housing - just don't use full w/a setting
HTH
Bill
The recommendation apparently is to zoom the lens fully to avoid vignetting.  You can also use software to correct the somewhat curved effect of using a wide angle lens.
cameras underwater software info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts