YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>Morning All,

This is my first posting here (although I have posted an almost identical message on www.ukdiving.co.uk/ukdiving/inland/wales/dorothea1.htm - apologies to anyone reading this for the second time!).

Basically, I am looking for some guidance and feedback from you on a service that my girlfriend and I are considering for the diving community and others in the Dorothea / Nantlle, Gwynedd, North Wales area.

We are investigating the possibility of opening some new accommodation in the area and want to suss out what our potential customers REALLY want. We both hail from Wales and my better half is from Nantlle itself. We had planned to come along and meet some of the divers there last weekend, but unfortunately had to attend a family funeral and as such everything else was put to one side.

We will hopefully be able to meet up with you guys in person soon though. Before that I would like to get a feel for whether or not such facilities would be of interest to the divers using the Dorothea quarry and other locations nearby. As such we'd like to find out what you have available to you at the moment, what you like / don't like about that and what you'd REALLY like to have in the future.

We are looking at providing bed and breakfast for around £12 (and maybe as little as £10 if you agree to make a £1 donation to an associated charity or if you are a regular visitor). The accommodation would include a shower block, dedicated toilet and a dining area for breakfast as a bare minimum. Would there be anything else in particular that you would want for...

Ideas we have had to date are for a drying area for your wet-suits and also a secure storage area for your kit. Perhaps we could also invest in the provision of the different types of compressed air you require - our understanding is that you have to travel far and wide right now to collect the right gases - is this correct? Any additional pointers or ideas would be much appreciated...

Of course it may be that you're all happy with how things are just now - just camping / staying in your cars / leaving home elsewhere in the UK very early in the morning to make the most of your day in Dorothea! You may be staying in other hostels / B&B's in the Gwynedd area. If so please let us know - we don't want to spend our hard earned savings on something that is surplus to requirements!!!

We are looking to assess and collate feedback to assist us in gaining funding from a number of different sources and as such the more detailed your response the better. We are happy to speak in more depth with anyone who would be keen to make a success of such a venture - we really want our potential customers to be 100% satisfied with any service we provide.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this, looking forward to hearing from as many of you as possible!

Cheers / Hwyl

SteveMy Webpage

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

Steve,

I sent you an e-mail direct with what I know about Dorothea and the owner's plans for it. If you didn't get it drop me a line and I'll post on here.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

As you will be finding out by now the plans for dorothea are uncertain due all sorts of things including court proceedings against/by the owner/disputed owner. There is rumour and counter rumour about what is going to happen and sometimes even an idea of time scale. There were rumours for instance a proper dive centre would be set up by last easter - guess what!!

I would say investing your money in something aimed specifically at divers using dotty is not a good idea at the moment. There are however walkers, tourists etc, no idea of the market they might generate.

There have been claims on the UK diving website that people warning you against this have an invested interest in doing so. I can assure you I live in leeds, and should you start a B and B I would quite possibly be a customer, so I have no interest in putting you off - apart from my warnings above!

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

And I will own up that the one directing you here and to Divernet was from me.  I just never, ever sign anything on UK diving because it is a hideous cess-pit of a forum!  Probably because you are allowed to anonymously post  

So I don't know who this Chris Waller guy is or what the problem is there.  I certainly have no vested interest whatsoever, i just wouldn't like you to be encouraged by the "hardcore" of Dotty divers, who think they will always dive there no matter what, that the custom of divers is guaranteed.

Hope all works out

Lou

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

Chris Waller is possibly one of (I think there are a few!!) the most honest people on that forum! He owns a B and B locally and WAS doing quite a lot of good work for divers cause at dotty. However (unless I am being taken in by some very clever disguises) he stopped posting on there because of some of the idiots who seem to have the "i`m the greatest, I am never wrong, you are all a bunch of numpties who will soon die because you can`t ever know as much as me" attitude.

I have had a couple of personal emails from him, mainly when he was trying to find a solicitor who was a diver - the archives are on UK diving somewhere I think. I was the one who pointed him at D-Net and BSAC.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts