YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rEvolutionary HPDW'ing
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Righto,

I am thinking of swapping my wing. I currently dive with twin 12s s/s plate and a one piece harness and sometimes a 7l ali stage (this is likely to be 2x 7l ali stages eventually). The wing I use at the moment is a DiveRite rec wing, I am thinking along the lines of an un-bungied wing at the moment. but wich one there seems to be so much choice?

Can anyone actually tell me if there is a big difference to diving without bungies on wings?

Are the Halcyon/Agir bladders worth the premium?

What about Frog?

Anyone finding differences between standard design wings and doughnut shaped ones?

Andy

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
Frog Midnight doughnut wing gets my vote. Very pleased with mine. Preferred it over my horseshoe shaped Halcyon Explorer 55LB.

It's completely fine with my twin 12's and 7l steel stage.

Not tried a bungied wing so can't help with a comparrison, sorry!

Si

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've got a Halcyon one, and it seems pretty good, and superficially at least, better made than quite a bit of other stuff. Halcyon now do a donut one rather than a horshoe which seems a good idea, but I've not used this. However there's some talk of it being "too long" for faber tanks and better suited to Heisers - typical DIR, wrong tanks now! Don't know if there's really anything in this length point though. Either way, Don't buy the 55lbs one, 40lbs is what you want. If you get pursuaded to go for 55lbs I can sell you one, which will help fund the 40lbs I should have got. (used with twins 12s + 7l) Bah!

Hywel

·
Registered
8,035 Posts
I found the advantage to me of the donut over the horseshoe allowed me to dump air more reliably, especially from the kidney dump.

It also seemed to give me better trim in the water.

Was a lot more compact than my 55LB horseshoe too so didn't look stoopidly baggy.

·
Utrinque Paratus
6,077 Posts
I found the advantage to me of the donut over the horseshoe allowed me to dump air more reliably, especially from the kidney dump.

It also seemed to give me better trim in the water.

Was a lot more compact than my 55LB horseshoe too so didn't look stoopidly baggy.
I agree with this donut wings do give better trim and i find it easier to dump the air.

Graham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.