YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Hi all
i am setting up a twin set consisting of two 12L 300bar cylinders and a stainless backplate, I need help in the amount of lift i will require for this set up and also want to use the wing with the option of one of the twelves and my 3L 300bar pony.
Anybody got ideas?
I note that some of the large cappacity wings advise against useing single cylinders dose this also include useing a pony ?
cheers wacker  

·
3,293 Posts
Imported post

Hi

If you're into minimalism then the Halcyon 45lb will do the trick. I suppose that with 300 bar cylinders and lots of layers then you may need the 55lb. I have the 55lb for my twin 12's and have been told that they are too big and should be used for twin 15's and upwards ! The idea is that when horizontal in the water the edges of the wings shouldn't protrude over the diameter of the cylinders. My 55lb wing does on my Faber 12's and so a 45lb is better. (Yet another pending purchase!!)
The actual capacity of the wing is less important when properly weighted and with a drysuit as redundant buoyancy.

If you want to use a single 12 and a pony then you would be better off with a pioneer wing because they are slimmer and more suited to a single cylinder than a doubles wing. DiveRite or OMS might have something that suits both but I haven't seen one.

Hope that helps

WL

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wacker @ April 02 2003,18:16)]I note that some of the large cappacity wings advise against useing single cylinders dose this also include useing a pony ?
<font color='#0000FF'>Never heard that myself and wouldn't expect to either as wings with singles aren't that uncommon.

I used my 100 lb OMS (bungied) with  single 12s , both ali and steel, for some considerable time and apart from the need to add some lead  to the back of the wing to counteract the inherent 'forwards tipping' aspect of a wing there were no problems.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Creature of the night
14,183 Posts
Imported post

Hi Wacker,

I use a 100 oms s/bladder wing with 232 12's, minimalist kit is ok in theory but would it get you and a buddy to the surface if it hit the fan?

Safe diving,
Steve.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

Sufficient lift is defined as having enough to get you back to the surface at any point during the dive - work out the buoyancy of the cylinders, plus the bouyancy you'd loose if your suit flooded, and don't forget the air in the cylinders weighs something as well. If you can get yourself to the surface with a totally flooded drysuit and full cylinders without ditching any lead, you've got enough lift. Having more that that won't help much.

The only wings I know of that will give you the kind of lift you'll probably need for twinned 12 300s (Have you NO respect for your back?
) and still not cause problems with a single are bungeed ones, or possibly a Buddy Tekwing with a steel backplate fitted and the waistband threaded through the side slots. You'd probably be better off with two separate wings tho...

The main reason big wings aren't recommended for singles use is that they fold up so high, you can't ditch the air from them using the corrogated tube, as the air is above the dump. Using a pony wouldn't help much, unless you had one on each side of the cylinder, and then you'd need a space shuttle model to go with it ;)

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>Quick note:

The CD back plate has a reversed grouve so when used with a single the cylinder stays streight on your back. Most back plates have the grouve running the other way or are basicly flat to accomodate wing nuts (CD use dome head nuts). Problem I found with my M8 who went this rout was it was like trying to clamp his single to a knife edge. Most dives the tank ended up at a funney angle on his back.

I use the CD TDK single bladder 50kg lift fro twin 12s and two 7ltr deco stages no problem. I also use it for single 12 and 3ltr slung pony no problem. No special weighting just two 2kg blocks one on each hip for semi dry.  

Rember to attach the back plate to the wing at all four corners before mounting a single. CD do special bolts for this but I just use cable ties. This prevents the wing lifting of the back plate and wraping around the tank.  This does look very silly in the water.

Good luck

Mark Chase

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Top tip time.  if you have a ss backplate and you wanna use a single, then to stop the tank from moving, get the spacer blocks that buddy do for their twin cam bands, drill a hole in each one in the narowest part and use them as single tank adaptors.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>thanks
recon the tip about cable ties on wing backplate sounds good
and the idea of using the good old budy blocks also sounds spot on.
my backplate has slots for two cam bands and to avoid the twisting problem i have used a nylon weight retainer on each cam belt, these fit nicely in the chanel of the backplate and don't slide through the slots. this only means i have to find 2 short bolts to fix the wing to the plate.
wacker

1 - 9 of 9 Posts