YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice please and not too sure if this question should have been asked in the "Technical Diving" section but here goes anyway.

At the moment I dive with a Seac Sub Icaro Tech wing which I have to say is a good bit of kit that I like very much (piss taking not required!). Whilst I only ever dive single cylinder it is capable of being used with twins and consequently when used with a single cylinder it is a bit "flappy" underwater.

I do not ever intend to dive with twins but love the feel of diving a wing as opposed to a "stab jacket" type of BCD.

So my question is this:
Can I please have you're recommendations for a lightweight (for travelling), fully featured (lots of D rings etc) wing that is designed soley for use with a single cylinder (12L).

Any advice greatly appreciated to prevent me from buying the wrong bit of kit (again!)

·
Registered
106 Posts
The other half uses an oms iq harness with a 45lb wing on a single all the time and shes more than happy with that set up. Plenty of d rings and to make it lighter for travelling you can allegedly use the harness with no back plate for ali tanks- not tried this though!

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
For single cylinder diving, I use my backplate (steel in the UK, but I have an ali one to take abroad) and harness together with an APEKS WTX3. Personally, i only have a few d rings (3) which I find to be enough) but if you set your own harness up, you can have as many as you feel you need.

·
Banned
3,724 Posts
Elvistheking has a nice small halcyon wing... more money than sense of course ;)

It's perfect for a single, but a bit small for twins IMHO.

alternatively, get a good old buddy commando, and forget about the posh crowd! :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Apex do a nice one thats only about £110 ish - i looked at it and it seemed fine. However in the end i bought a scubapro bcd from ebay, £40 and practcially brand new, which'll do fine for shore dives.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
For single cylinder diving, I use my backplate (steel in the UK, but I have an ali one to take abroad) and harness together with an APEKS WTX3. Personally, i only have a few d rings (3) which I find to be enough) but if you set your own harness up, you can have as many as you feel you need.
I have a virtually identical setup - Apeks WTX3, ali backplate and harness. I have 4 d-rings though :eek:

Apex do a nice one thats only about £110 ish - i looked at it and it seemed fine.
That will be the WTX3 that Morag and I use.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Hi I used to have a Apecks WTX3 for single tank diving until it was stolen... It was a fab bit of kit and very good value for money. My only concern was that it is single skinned without a bladder inside. Consequently it is quite easy to puncture, in the UK where I always wear a dry suit this wasn't a big deal as I always have a second source of buoyancy. However, it worried me when diving abroad in a wet suit. I now have a Frog Indigo Wing which is an absolutely fabulous piece of kit. Very strong and robust with an internal bladder.... It is a bit more expensive but you get what you pay for and its still significantly less than the virtually identical Halcyon wing.

It is very easy to make up your own harness and then you can have as many D-rings as you like, personally I think 4 is plenty. There are plenty of web sits which give easy to follow instructions. For example: uk.rec.scuba : UK Diver

·
GUE-F
742 Posts
A wing with a seperate backplate is in my opinion your best bet. How you choose to have your harness is then up to you and you can add as many D rings as you want and you can swap a steel backplate for an Ali if you need to cut down your weight for travel. I used to have a Frog Indigo which was excellent, the Hollis wings are also good quality and I saw recently that Divelife were doing some IST wings which look the same as the Frog/Hollis. A 30lb wing is all you need.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Just my 2p's worth...

I use a Scubapro Knighthawk and have done for years. Nice and light, packs down small, includes integrated weight pockets and trim pockets. The OP's comment about d-rings might be a bit of an issue as there's only 4 and only 1 small fold-away pocket for stuff (plus a tiny one for unknown use!)... but if that arrangement is fine for what you want, I can definately recommend one!

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some good food for thought there guys. Thank you.
So much choice I don't know which direction to jump.
All I do know is that I have no intention of diving twin cylinders so a wing specifically designed for single cylinder use without a need for STA is the route I would like to go.
More research to carry out yet me thinks!

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
I have a 36lb Halcyon Pioneer which is surplus to requirements. It's the predecessor of the Eclipse but doesn't require an STA as it has one incorporated into the wing itself. It's also single skin, making it a bit lighter. It has two nice cambands but you'd need a compatible backplate to go with it (i.e. one with slots for the bands, which most have).

I'm open to offers.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I have an Apeks WTX30 lb single wing for sale.... which is now SOLD. Its mint only been used in the pool a couple of times, never in the sea or open water. Wing only... just add harness and plate to dive....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dive rite trans pac is pretty light and does not need an sta. Oxycheq do a very light rug with a plastic cutaway back plate which weighs bevy to nothing. Deep sea supply do a hybrid platic back plate that is also sta-less and the vid shows it is bloody stable. Dux also known as dir zone or utd sell a BP and wing which is apparently sta-less. Also there are also some nice dog bone shaped plates I think custom divers or Kent tooling do one. Hth

·
Registered
149 Posts
Deep sea, Dux, utd. What, who where??
You lost me totally!
Deep sea supply are at. www.deepseasupply.com the dux wings have been tricky to source but now they are being re sold by utd or unified team diving. Search for them then from their main site, find their European store. Having weighed them all up I got the dive rite Ali plate harness and voyager wing. Much lighter than my jacket BC for travelling. Hth

·
Registered
558 Posts
John at Red Hat diving does a nice looking single wing, I havet used one but have had few bits and peices from him in the past and its always been decent kit. Might be worth a look, couple with a cheap Ali plate and a couple of the travel STA thingies from Kent tooling and Id guess that you could put a nice littele set up together for just over £200.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.