YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

I am thinking of upgrading my flotation device so ladys and gents what should I go for bcd or wing.comments welcome

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

so its 2 nill to the wings
why is a wing better than a bcd?

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Oh bloody #### now we have to explain ourselves ;)

Because it is OK....

Alright I can see you will not be fobbed off so easily.  All of this is IMHO,  

A wing can be a cheaper option than a BCD, is less restrictive around the sides and front, more comfortable, more versatile (Can be modified to suit your diving).

People could write pages on why they prefer a wing over a BCD (and they probably will).  If possible why don't you try one.  I would not go back to a normal jacket.

Hope that helps,
Darren

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

My 2 cents worth:
Wing IF it's properly set up and you're sufficiently into your diving to like faffing with your kit to get things just so
Stab jacket if you don't like kit-faffing when you're out of the water
I dive a wing but wouldn't recommend one for my other half as she wouldn't get into the faff
Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

Faffing
is that kicking the kit round the car park while calling it rude names

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Now ain't that the truth Steve,  my wife also uses a jacket and I would not encourage her to get a wing.  Now I have got mine exactly how I like it the last thing I want is to spend 2 months getting her comfortable with one.  

If it involves any more than throwing it on a cylinder, pulling a couple of straps she ain't interested ;)

Interesting point though,  I know a lot of people who have switched from jacket to a wing for the majority of their diving.  But I do not know anyone who has switched from a wing to a jacket.  (I do not count people who switch to a jacket for specific occasional dives or teaching).

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

One other point I forgot, a small wing and light backplate (aluminium or softpack) is very light and good for holidays.  My old jacket weighed a ton by comparison.

Daz

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

my bcd set up at the moment is a single 15lt a 3lt pony and 8kg of weight in the bcd but it is a strain on my shoulders.
are there any wings that have integral weights and would awing take any pressure off my shoulders?

(Edited by nigel at 5:24 pm on Jan. 27, 2003)

(Edited by nigel at 5:25 pm on Jan. 27, 2003)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Wing
Don't have one myself due to cash restrictions, though wish I'd bought one straight off. You get more gas in twins and it saves faffing about changing tins between dives, specially if your on a RIB. I think women might prefer a wing as well because I suspect it would put less strain on the funbags area
Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Plus, I always found that the pockets on a stab (eg buddy commando) were impossible to access, so for me were worse than useless. Now I have a Bowstone leg pocket which I've modified to fit on my harness belt and can position it where I can reach it, and it's half the price of the "proper" OMS "No-sag" pocket, later I'm going to add a "mask pocket" which will be a modified small zip up washbag which is going spare £0.00 compared to £20+ for a proprietary one - long live DIY!
Chee-az
Steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I dive with a 12l and 3lt pony.  My wing is a trekwing, which is quite small compared to some, but it has got plenty of lift for me.  weight 6kg in a shot belt.  

You can get pockets to fit weights into for harnesses or you could even thread weight straight onto the harness but then ditching it is kind of difficult.

Alternatively you could get a seperate weight harness to wear under the harness your wing is attached to but I found this a pain with one harness on top of the other.  

If you do get the weight attached to the harness using weight pockets it should put the load across your shoulders by its very harness like nature and not so much on the waist.

HTH,
Daz

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Just read your question about weights. I know a man who makes weights that get screwed in with the butterfly screws on the inside if anyones interested. They can't be dumped in a hurry, but you're not carrying too much weight anyway.
Peter

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Re weights and wings, I believe Diverite ones can sometimes have integral weights pockets, but you can get a fair bit of lead on the belt part of a harness too, and if you have a SS BP that's quite weighty too (about 2.5 kg I believe??)
Chee-az
steve

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Nigel,

Sent you my phone number by email,  give me a ring of you want to discuss wings/BCD,  sometimes it really is good to talk.

Darren

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

A wing! A wing! A wing!.... Ooooooh Lordy yes, get yerself a wing mate...

Faffing, well the faffing exists through a few experimental dives but once the harness is set and the tanks are banded to your satisfaction then the faffing is over and from then on in, its great...

Some have tried wings and moved back to jackets but I'll bet my bottom euro that those who did just hadn't the time or the patience to faff on to get it right cos if they had done they'd still be diving a wing... personally I'll never go back, I'll even take my bp/harness and a single wing on holiday.

Currently I have a s.s. backplate with twin 12's and a bloody great lead v-weight bolted to it and it's so much easier than my 15ltr plus pony and hip crushing, cyatic nerve nipping weightbelt... humping it through Hodge tunnel was a doddle... much easier than a previous visit to Hodge last year.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Imported post

nigel, I'm not sure where in the UK you reside but if you want to meet up somewhere with a buddy you are welcome to jump in with him/her wearing my rig.

regards
Dave.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts