YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

hi

i am looking to buy my first wing and have noticed northern diver do a sea eagle 2 for £295 all in and it has had a good write up on divernet, it can be used for singe or twins.

would it be a good starting point or do you have any other recomendations.

regards

chris

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>The sea eagle is a dualk bladder wing. You might want to think about whether you want this. Some do, I don't. I dive in a drysuit and don't feel like I need one, and also don't feel that if I've holed one, the other is likely to survive it either. Others will offer other opinions, but that's my choice.

A good first wing (depending a bit on what you want to use it for) is the Buddy wing. It will do up to twin 12s, once you start strapping on stages and things you might want a bit more lift, but for now that will do that job. Personal reccommendation is to have a look at Dom's website, which has a good guide to setting up the thing, someone will help me with a link to that as I'm not on my home computer. I dived an almost identical rig with twin 10s and 12s on it, and then 300 twin 7s, and it did the job nicely.

FOr your £295, you could have an OMS wing with combro plate, and home-built harness (easily done with a bit of webbing and some D-rings and bits) which would probably be a bit more flexible than the Sea-Eagle IMO. If you break a bit of the Eagle, you're goign to have problems, as if I understand it correctly it is oe big unit. It also weighs a ton if I'm remembering the spec right. You can use your OMS/buddy wing with an aluminium plate, or ABS plate (suppied with the TekWing) on holiday, and you'll save weight and bulk over your BCD in most cases.

Hope this helps. Just my opinions, hopefully you'll get a load more on here in a bit.

Digs.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Got to echo digger here mate, ND tried to sell me a repaired eagle once for 150 quid, 1 week old. I tried it on and it was awful!
Heavy, awkward and above all, so many fiddly bits all over it, concertina style bladders and about 60 bungies holding it all together.

I wouldnt dare say stay away from the sea eagle like the plague for legal reasons  

Stu.

·
"Right, done the pool stuff, what's next.........?
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi mate I would echoe what has been said earlier, if you sort yourself out with a harness and back plate then you have the flexability to choose the wing that suits the diving you are doing. It also means you are not stuck with one manufacterer in as far as wing / harness you can mix and match and make work what suits you. Flexability seems to work out cheaper and easier in the long run.
Best of luck John.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

hi all

went and bought a halcyon explorer system with ss bp, just need a manifold or twinset to go with it.

any recomendations on the manifold.

cheers

chris

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Chris L @ April 28 2004,18:15)]hi all

went and bought a hayclon explorer system with ss bp, just need a manifold or twinset to go with it.

any recomendations on the manifold.

cheers

chris
You won't go far wrong with MDE or if you want something DIR compliant (barrel 'O' rings) then AGIR.

HTH,
Daz

·
"All I want is a KISS!"
493 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi,

You wouldn't go too far wrong with a combro / Woz backplate.  A DIY one piece harness and a DiveRite Classic wing.  

That's going to be the perfect setup of twins, stages and all you could wish for....

Cheers

Rich

PS - I just might have a spare diverite classic knocking around.  PM me if you're interested.

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

Rich / anyone - how much lift does the DiveRite Classic have? (just out of interest, not buying one).

·
"All I want is a KISS!"
493 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tom @ April 29 2004,12:34)]Rich / anyone - how much lift does the DiveRite Classic have? (just out of interest, not buying one).
<font color='#000080'>59 pounds/27 kg of lift. They are designed for use with medium- to heavyweight doubles (Classic Wings should not be used with single cylinders).

They're absolutly bomb proof!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts