YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Those of you who subscribe to Dive Magazine - there's going to be an article, this month I believe, all about wings.

The request was made on BSAC's forum a while ago, and Charlotte Boan (sp?), the lady who writes the Learning Curve thingies, has taken the challenge.

I only know because she got in touch with me after reading my own attempt at a Wings for Dummies guide, so if you have any interest in what BSAC's magazine has to say on the subject of wings, this month's mag should be an entertaining read.

Not least because she's got Jack Ingle saying "don't use a wing for buoyancy" on one side and me saying "of course you use the wing for buoyancy!" on the other

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Anyone know how it's going to pan out? Because not so long ago I had a big old debate about whether we could realistically put novices on the odd occasion in a wing. My argument was yes, the rest of the club seemed to think othwise. We now have a set of BCDs, all size medium, which are going to have to fit everyone. An interesting decision, but I think we're going to have problems. Anything's got to be beter than an ABLJ, though.

If BSAC wade in and tell us we can put novices in wings, or even that it might be a reasonable idea, I'm going to be buying a few copies of Dive magazine next month.

It makes a lot of sense to me to use the DS for buoyancy alone. Then again, YMMV, but I find it easier and reliable as a system.

·
Dunno really........ thinking about it
1,585 Posts
Imported post

Comdean apparently stick all their trainees in tekwings from the start. They say they have no probs.

As a preference I use the wing for main bouyancy and keep the (neoprene) DS "just comfortable".

·
Registered
377 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#728FCE'>As with anything in life, do what works well for you.

If you have to do it a certain way while training, once qualified,tailor your diving style as required and speak to other divers about theirs. This is a good way to swap ideas and if trying something new, try it out in a pool first.

I use my suit for bouyancy and my BC on the surface pre & post dive, and am comfortable

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

I'm in total agreement with Chris on this,
I started a BSAC forum thread about Wings for Newbies following discussions here. I don't think they're ideal for everyone and for newbies who can barely put their kit together without supervision it's too much extra work when you've got limited kit and a tight schedule.  For instance I had one trainee last February who couldn't even remember to keep her reg in her mouth, let alone deal with correctly configuring a wing.
Chee-az
steve

http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/forums/instforum/posts/1939.html

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I have to say I don't think I could have dealt with sorting out a wing when I was learning - I only had a 50/50 chance of putting my first stage on the right way up!

On the other hand, if an instructor who really knows what he's doing is there to get the wing set up properly, then the problem goes away - the novice doesn't HAVE to deal withsetting it up.

However, I've not yet met such an instructor in the clubs I've belonged to...

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

I'm with Chris on this one, DS for bouyancy, wing on the surface.  But when I first started with a wing I used it for bouyancy and I say whatever you are comfortable with.

Like Dom, I had no chance of getting a wing right when I did my OW course but the best thing about learning in a BCD and using one is you can be objective about the benefits of a wing over a BCD when you switch

Daz

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>I think it's a matter of personal preference.

I used to use the suit  - as I'd been taught to do that - but now I use the wing and merely take squeeze off the suit.

To me a wing is just a stripped down BCD with less clutter and less stuff to go wrong.

In some ways a wing might be easier for newbs as you've only got two buttons to concentrate on (not the myriad of dumps and nonsense.)

As I said b4 tho' - I'd say each to his own and find whatever works for you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

I guess you guys carry plenty of weight in the form of twins and steel back plate that there's plenty of ballast for all that buoyancy.  I've never owned a wing, it could be a better idea particularly for club training equipment as I guess all clubs have a problem with small and large sizes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts