YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK I ave poped over here for a brek from the flaming I am getting on the dark side. Wife's off for a few days after Christmas and I was hoping to get some diving in, are there any interesting spots within say 250 miles of kent that are reliable for winter dives that are not just muddey puddles. I was going to go for the lake district but thats a bit more than a day trip.

Vobster is out till they put some stuff in, Guildensludge is out, Stony is out coz I have done it too many times to get enthusiastic. I was thinking of shore diving Selsea?

All advice greatfulley received.

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Mark,

What about Treaddur Bay in Anglesey?? Within your mileage and good diving. I'm sure some of the YD bunch would be up for it also. My wife's working over the yule-type-fest period (nurse) and so I find myself with days to spare. When were you thinking of?? Give us some dates and we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Include me in if its the 29th or 30th !!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Imported post

If you plan on going to Trearddur Bay over Christmas,Dec 27-Jan 1st, take enough cylinders for the days diving, as the dive shops are shut, so no fills available.

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Managed to scrounge a spot on a Moll trip on the 28th but I am not holding my breath on that one. How bout the 30th??
It would be great to meet some of the YD gang.

Mark Chase

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

Just checked it on auto rout 345miles 5 1/2 hours

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

OK I give up, looks like Stony on the 30th. I cant do 11 hours driving and dive so Treddeger is out untill I can arrange an overnight.

Ho Hum

Mark CHase

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,

Know how you feel, sisters rented a house in Pembroke, can't find a dive, partners mum got a house full so no stay in Swanage.

See you on the 30th, still, there is a pub.

Andrew

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

We locals often slag off the Clyde, yet its on our doorstep has more wrecks ancient and modern than you can count, there is a range of dives here that would exceed a life span to experience.  The lochs give sheltered water for diving in the roughest weather.  There are many great drift, tech wreck, scenic and dinner dives and plenty of bottles and jars, some with whisky and beer still in them.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Budgy mate,

That's exactly the type/kind of diving some of us 'south of the border' wallahs need to know about and get in amongst! Any more info? An itinerary perchance?? It may be 'samey' to you guys, but to some of us, it's 'kin new world. More please and expect questions from the troop that fancy the gig.

Cheers in advance,

·
Grumbler-chief in Residence
1,969 Posts
Imported post

Hey Bren

Glad I'm not the only nutter sitting on his PC on Chrismas, eve, still have a new toy i.e. me lap top to play with.
Are you going to join in the fun at Stoney on the 30th

Andrew

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Andy mate,

I'll be completely pissed on the 30th - already planned - so I'll miss Stoney. That said, we are planning on getting together for one or three other gigs over the yule-fest period, so watch these boards and hope you can come as they are announced (for that read 'blurted out' as short notice).

Enjoy the 30th and dive safe.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

Hi Bren, Its difficult to know where to start as I have only been diving some 4 years and have hardly scratched the surface because its such a vast area.  I know a few popular shore dives mostly training sites and some of the most popular wrecks. "Clyde Shipwrecks" by Peter Moir + Ian Crawford ISBN 0 9513366 22 would give you some good ideas for wreck dives. See if you can locate a copy of "Dive West of Scotland" which may not be so accurate but numbers hundreds of dive sites. The past few years I haven't had much access to boats as I find the club rib expensive and difficult to access, but keep promising next year to do more boat diving.  Many areas I have no knowledge of and nearly all my diving has been done North of Largs.  I hear rumours of great diving around Arran and there are more than 35 known wrecks on the Galloway coast between Corsewall point and the Mull of Galloway but I have never dived there. Due to access and training constraints on our weekend club outings we are often diving the same well known sites.  Your always best tapping into the site knowledge of some of the older divers particularly when it comes to bottle or dinner dives if they can be persuaded to part with the information.      

·
15,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Imported post

I will be a bit held up so wont be at Stony till 11.00 sorrey its that iritating work thing that gets in the way of diving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts