YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I made it I've passed my Rescue course:) . I'd been warned that it would be hard work but boy was it hard work. We had a good student instructor ration, 2 instructors, 2 DMs 6 students, so they really could keep the pressure on us. I think the other reason that today I feel like I've been 10 rounds with Tyson is that out of the 10 of us only 3 were under 14 stone:pizza: . But the sense of achievement now I've completed the course is wonderful.
So for all those thinking about doing the RD, stop thinking and do it, it is a great course and you will enjoy it. It is HARD work, just make sure that you have plenty of beer :beer: and ibuprofen waiting for you when you get home.

PS try and get booked on a course with lots of skinny people.

Ian

·
Dive Ninja and now Trainee Kit-donkey
157 Posts
Well done mate! Really glad you enjoyed it - sounds like you had a tough time rescuing some of the more bulky 'victims', but i suppose it just makes you a better RD at the end of the day!

I for on am 6'2" and weigh just shy of 16st (and before u say anything i only have a 34" waist so no i am not a fatty!), so i dont think anyone particularly enjoyed it when i played possum. In fact i remember only one person daring to try and firemans lift me in the pool sessions!

Congrats again mate.

Xav

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Well done - rescue is a tough but brilliant course. Just hope you only ever get to practise, and never need the skills for real:) :) :)

I'm 1.86m and 102kg. I'm DM'ing on a rescue course in May. To quote the immortal Mr T (the real one, not the one 'formerly of this parish') 'I pity the fool who tries to lift me' :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Well done Ian, its a good course, very worthwhile, certainly makes you think about what you should be doing before, during and after a dive.

Rgds
Matt

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well done Ian. You all looked to be working hard when I arrived! Good to meet you, and maybe see you again down at the lovely Wrayspuddle :teeth:

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
well done ian ! am well chuffed for ya mate ! and although the course may have been hard work it will benefit you as a diver in the long run ! again well done and dive safe

best wishes leigh :teeth:

·
I'm a country member
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all, the aches are slowly subsiding. Reflecting on the weekend, It has definitely changed/improved me as a diver. I've often read reports of other peoples exploits here on YD, most notably the Mark Powell courses and thought to myself that's something I would like to do but I don't think I could. Now I think with a bit more practice/experience maybe I could.

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Well done!

Could be worse....I did the Marine Mammal Medic course a few years ago....try lifting a seal or towing a small whale. :D

·
Silent Knight
1,849 Posts
Could be worse....I did the Marine Mammal Medic course a few years ago....try lifting a seal or towing a small whale. :D
I did mine last week down at Bewl, man those dolphins are heeeeeaaavy !!!

Well done on your RD Ian - it's the course that turns a page for a lot of divers.

Graham :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts