YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I've just got back from capernwray where i've spent this weekend passing my open water course.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me if any of the upcoming trips/dives are sutable for a new diver.

If there are any i hope to meet up with some of you soon

Cheers

Andy

(Edited by Andrew at 7:27 pm on Feb. 23, 2003)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Imported post

Andy

Well done chap and welcome to the club.  Hope the credit card has a bit of equity.  With enthusiasm like that you will need it!

Not my neck of the woods being a paid up shandy and chardonnay member but hope you get wet again soon.

Safe diving.

PMT

·
Part of the 'Phoenix Programme'
1,112 Posts
Imported post

Dear Andrew

congrats, well done : you are now irrevocably addicted :)

moray

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

Well done Andrew.

Wallets gonna get a bashing now I expect!

We get down to Stoney and to Cappers fairly regularly and would be pleased to get you in the water.

Have you got your kit yet?

Give us a call anytime you wanna dive I may be off work.  (shift worker)

07779 - 834829

andy

(Edited by Bren Tierney at 2:20 am on Feb. 24, 2003)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Imported post

Hi again, i've got most of my kit (waiting for my drysuit to be made to measure)just need to get some weights.

Can't wait to try out all my own stuff.

And yes the wallet has taken it's bat and ball home bigstyle now

And thanks for the offer Andy i hope to talk to you soon

(Edited by Andrew at 8:40 pm on Feb. 23, 2003)

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Well done mate, welcome to debt city, drugs habit? cheap by comparison ;-)
Glad you passed, welcome to the wet stuff, have a deckers at the planned trips or sugest something and I'm sure you'll get takers.
Matt

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Andrew,

Very well done on passing your OW ticket mate! The wide and wonderful world of diving awaits you - as do a whole bunch of YD dive buddies as and when you want to go diving! Just ask or get yourself booked onto any of the planned trip.

As a recent convert, and not having what we might call 'a shed-load' of in-water time, if you did want to come on the Anglesey trip, then we'd have to ask you to do the shore dives or the RIB dives and no deeper than 18 metres.

Let us know what you want to do in this respect. Failing that, just invite yourself on to any of the Stoney Cove,  Capernwray  or Lakes dive trips and you'll be laughing.

Well done again.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Imported post

Cheers Bren, I'll probably tag along to some of the inland dives until i get some more experience as i wouldn't want to spoil any one else's dive having to "look after" a new diver in the sea.

Plus we only saw about a quarter of the stuff at Capernwray so theres still shed loads to see and do there not to mention the other sites around. I'm so looking forward to exploring all these new places i can't wait.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

</span>
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] i wouldn't want to spoil any one else's dive having to "look after" a new diver in the sea.
<span =''>

Fret not lad, there's plenty of sea diving that is well within the capabilities of a newby, wait till you get out to St Abbs or similar, plenty of first dives done there let alone post qualification diving, all in less than 18metres
Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks Steve, for some reason I imagined all sea diving would be done below 18 mtrs, dunno why!

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

Andrew,

You wouldn't be spoiling it for others at all. I personally really enjoy taking out folk for a dive and I'm sure plenty of others do too.

There's not much more rewarding than seeing someone's face light up after  - what to you might have been a routine bimble - but to them was a trip to a whole new world.

What Steve says about Abbs is right. It a great place for a first sea dive and on the right day the viz can be great and the currents negligable.

If you fancy getting some seawater on your new dry suit just post on planned trips and if I can make it I will.

I'm sure they'll be others who'll enjoy a spin round seagull rock or Cathedral so you'll end up with many buddies and not just one !!!!

Congratulations again.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Well done Andrew

We have a lot of novice sea dives (10-18m) out of Selsea on the south cost. The far Mulbury is a cracking 10m dive but you look to be a long way away by your training location (couldent find any info on the personal details). Dont be worried about being a novice. A lot of divers take great pleasure from helping newbys into the sport so just be up front and dont take it personaly if they say the dive is not suitable for you. They probably said that for a good reasion.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Imported post

I've updated my profile Mark.

I'm in Sheffield so it is a tad far away from the south coast, but i'll look into a trip during the summer for sure.

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andrew
just to let you know how I did it, sorry to bore the rest of you, I passed OW in Lanzarote nice and warm and good viz, then went back 6 months later for some more. Then did AOW in France, bit cooler less viz. Didnt fancy UK diving at all really after Lanzarote, but France sort of opened the door a bit. So I though I'd do Stoney last Aug (warmish) in a wet suit - Oh dear bitten by the bug, so I bought 2 dry-suits (my son dives as well - usually anyway) and the rest of the basic kit. Did Stoney a few more times with experienced divers and I am not sure who was more thrilled me or them for helping me along the road to dive-nut. Glad I did a few in-land dives to back-up what I'd learnt in the Sea as I always though the UK conditions might 'frighten' me, they didnt. Last time I went to Stoney I stuck my head in the silt and gave it a good shaking so as to see what ZERO viz really was like, whilst holdin a pram or something (DM close by). OK it was sort of weird but didnt freak me out at all. So my advice is have a couple of in-land dives, pracice DSMB as well and then get on some Sea Trips, I'm on Anglesy trip and cant wait. Only touble is balancing my needs and the families, wish I'd started earlier, still years to go before I hang up the suit, hopefully.
Enjoy
Matt

·
A Big Member
132 Posts
Imported post

Hey Andrew
I'm in sheffield so if you want to meet up and talk diving i'll be more than willing to sink a few sherberts whilst lying about my 100m+ dives (only kidding)
I'm also planning to buy a new suit at LIDS so will be needing to make a few trips to stoney or the cape and you're more than welcome to tag along.
My only proper diving friend lives in Worksop so it would be good to have someone in town to natter to

if you fancy it get in touch

paul

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Ah...I think I get it now, when you think of sea diving you're probably thinking it'll be from a boat, probable onto a wreck. In fact there's a lot of good shore diving all around our coasts, you can read ablout a lot of them at Ian Schofield's shore diving website Here

Chee-az
Steve

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Oooh makes me feel all warm inside.  Just dug out some photies of me and a mate getting ready to get into Lakeside diving centre for our second OW dive ever (still on the course).  We were in semi-dries, about to dive a 6m muddy puddle in March and we were going to freeze our bollocks off.  Again.
But the sun was shining and we were but 3 dives from being SCUBA DIVERS! We had big daft ear-to-ear grins then (6 yrs ago) and nothing much has changed since.
I don't have to tell you to have fun mate, that's already a given..

Rob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts