YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

OK. That is maybe a bit over the top but Jo and I finished our OW over the weekend and are now officially qualified!!!

We did all the classroom stuff in February and were waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer before doing the diving bit. I'm just glad that it is out of the way...

A couple of things...

We were at Stoney Cove

On Saturday, while we were waiting to do our second dive, the boat was out twice in 5 minutes...the first one was a false alarm, where someone panicked a bit but the second one was real and serious...it seems that a diver out in the deeper bit suffered a heart attack...the story we got on Sunday was that he was basically dead on the surface (heart stopped)...they got him on the boat and I could see this guy doing serious CPR..they got him to shore and the last thing I saw before they carted him away to the helicopter was that they had a foil blanket out and I guess this was a sign that they had got him back again...I believe he survived OK....nevertheless, both incidents served to remind us what we were doing and for me, served to refocus the mind on doing it properly and safely...

The other thing was that it was fecking cold in there!!!!!! A great way of convincing people to get drysuits!!

So that is the next thing on the agenda... 2 x drysuits plus a course before I set fin in UK waters...

All the best,

Patrick

·
For the dives where one helicopter isn't enough
1,682 Posts
Imported post

Congratulations on becoming qualified divers - now you can get out and do some proper diving, without having to worry about taking masks off and doing fin pivots all the time  

Just as an aside, I'm sure you'll be careful given what you saw @ Stoney, but when I'm teaching, we always recommend that the first couple of dives after the course you get someone experienced to tag along with you - you could always use it as an excuse to meet some YD'rs (says me who still has only met a few of the group).

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Patrick (and Jo) well done guys on getting certified, join the rest of us.
Drysuits - hmm good idea.

Take care
Matt

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

Congratulations Patrick & Jo ! Drysuits, yeah... definately recommended, I've never dived in the UK without one
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks guys...looking forward to getting wet some more...

sch, please don't worry..all and any dives we have planned for this year (and probably next) will be either with an instructor or with soemone who is very experienced..we intend coming to the Anglsey gig so look forward to meeting some of you there...(hopefully we'll have drysuits by then!!!)  

All the best,

Patrick..

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Congrats on the OW qualification Patrick and Jo,

See if you can get them to throw a drysuit orientation in when/if you buy drysuits.  Not only will it help you get used to the suits but it will be a couple more dives under supervision as it were.

If you are at Anglesey, there should be a ruck of us doing shore diving and I reckon you and Jo will be welcome to tag along for some metaphorical hand holding.  I've not killed, maimed, injured or traumatised any buddies to date if that helps

Daz

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Well in guys! Now, come join the band!
Get your arisses on a dive with us!!

Cheers,

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you are at Anglesey, there should be a ruck of us doing shore diving and I reckon you and Jo will be welcome to tag along for some metaphorical hand holding.  I've not killed, maimed, injured or traumatised any buddies to date if that helps
I can vouch for that - He didn't kill me, but not too sure about the traumatised bit
although strictly dpeaking we were only on the same beach.

Well done to both of you on qualifying. Team bunny are planning to go from the shore for the Anglesey gig later in the year and you're both more than welcome to join us if you so desire.

Cheers mate,

Noel

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Thanks....we are looking forward to Anglesey and would appreciate being able to tag along with you more experienced types!!!

Just got to buy the drysuits now and learn how to use them without looking too stupid..

I'm looking at the Scubapro Spitzbergen....anyone any experience of that suit???

·
Registered
313 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Well done you two, hopefully will see you at YDStock 2 myself.

Dive safe,  Stu.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ratbag @ April 20 2004,08:41)]Just got to buy the drysuits now and learn how to use them without looking too stupid..
Hey at least you will have an excuse.  I've just kind of accepted that I can't blame it on my kit anymore, I still look stupid

OK there have been a few references on YD to the Scubapro, have a look at these threads.

Thread1
Thread2
Thread3
Thread4

Hope that helps,
Daz

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Imported post

Thanks Daz...I'm just kind of dreading a fast ascent feet first!!!...hopefully I'll have it sussed before too many people see me...

Anyway, thanks for the threads...I'm still not sure that it helps!!!

The people at the LDS (this is where I did the OW) don't rate membrane too much and I know there are fors and againsts. I was hoping that the decision would be a little more clear cut...

Still, I guess you'll get a different opinion with everyone you ask..

All the best,

Patrick

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

You are right about opinions,  but here's a suprise!

I use a membrane, the wife has just got a O3 compressed neoprene MTM.

Personally I reckon the compressed are pretty much as flexible as membrane and warmer, but I don't reckon it will prove as hard wearing as my Otter membrane.

So warmer but not quite as hard wearing,  but then if you are not crawling all over the bottom or squeezing through tiny gaps at every opportunity I reckon a decent compressed neoprene will last many, many years.

Generally I reckon if you get a good suit you will be pleased whether it is compressed neoprene or membrane so just go with what feels comfortable and don't worry about what others opinions are.

Daz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts