·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Geoff Milne ('gfm1') just posted this on D-net:

[email protected]

[Geoff wrote]:

"Flew out with them last Sunday (25th), and they are now very hot on excess luggage. They stated they would charge for everything over the stated allowance, at £5/kilo and were doing so. Loads of unhappy travellers !

When I suggested I would take my regs as hand luggage they stated that this was not allowed as they could be used as a weapon !!

Really need to get this sorted with the airlines. Surely the various dive operators/travel agents should be doing something on our behalves?

Maybe next time I'll wear everything !! "

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

I've just got back from Malaysia flying with Malaysia from Manchester and they where great, you're allowed an extra 10Kg for dive equipment, reg's can be taken on board and they labelled up my language as fragile.

So it seem's like it depends on the airline, which is somewhat curious as you still have to go through airport security with your hand language?!?

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Perhaps we should start a list of airlines that DO cater for divers.....

1.  Airtours +10kg
2.  Air 2000 + 10kg
3.  Monarch + 10kg

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>how do you claim the excess allowance coz i'm off to menorca in 12 days

flying with airtours

·
Registered
320 Posts
Imported post

I just told them that i had diving stuff in the bag, he asked if I had a pony cylinder and that I leave the valve open (didn't have it with me but good for future ref)

So with Air 2000 I'm assuming the same, if in doubt call em and verify, oh and let us know.

·
C-in-C the Amphibious Contingent
1,421 Posts
Imported post

I travelled with Air Malta and they were fine, both ways.  I phoned them and asked about excess weight as I was taking dive kit, and they said they would let check in know for me.  When I got there I was allowed 10kg excess, and was asked to take it to outsize luggage.  No problems whatsoever.  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Imported post

I think that's one of my defining memories of charter flights: the check-in staff's sympathy for your plight being as rare as room-service in Baghdad. Invariably the only way round it is to book 'Premium/Premiere' class where you tend to get 40KGs instead of 20KGs, and where the uplift in price can be measured in £100-200 type range and NOT the hikes offered by flying with a scheduled airline. Or, indeed, if you can afford it, do go with a scheduled airline at a fare that will give you the weight allowance you seek.

We were OK with Regal Dive Holidays in November 2001 in the Red Sea, but, as a result of not being hassled AT ALL (even though we were in 'cattle class') about taking my whole dive rig (minus weights and cylinders), I forgotten the airline!!

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

If you decided to wear all your kit they would probably say that there was a risk of you trying to get off halfway

Thanks
DD
ROFL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

JMC
If i can remember correctly they do not count dive gear as part of your allowance

MAL..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Imported post

We had some problems with Air Malta. We had requested an extra 10Kg which they were happy with (they originally requested to see our QRBs - but didn`t know what they were when we produced them). However, 3 of our group were carrying quite a lot of kit (including the clubs spares kit) and their total was 118Kg, they were charged for 10 kilo over at £5 a kilo + VAT. Ouch!!!!! They then flatly refused to off set the excess carried by these guys across the whole group - many of whom hadn`t even reached the 20Kg mark. There was no point in arguing (even though the guy in question was a scouser!!), the credit card had to come out and that was it.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had problems taking their regs into the cabin on the "they could be used as a weapon" excuse. We had a cork screw confiscated with a .5 inch blade!!!! I can see the situation where a Dic*head jobs-worth at customs takes your reg off you in the intrests of airline security!!

Paul

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Imported post

Britannia Airways

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]> Thank-you for your e-mail, if you produce your diving certificate at the
> check-in desk, you will be given an additional 5 kilos of baggage
allowance
> free of charge. Anything above this amount will be charged for as excess
> baggage.
The normal allowance is 20kg so with diving you get 25kg

You can also buy excess baggage for £35 return to give an extra 10kg (£60 for long haul flight) so £3.50/kg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts