YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

I have heard  that there is to be a scuba world record depth attempt in Sharm sometime in the next few months - was just wondering what the depth record is to on scuba etc

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

John Bennett holds the current record with a dive to 308m..

Daz

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bethi @ Aug. 01 2003,23:26)]deepest ive bin iz 13metres!!! lol:D
But that's where all the best stuff is to see.

I bet John did not see anything interesting on his dive  

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

too right, especially in the Red sea, the light is better and everything looks more colourful,  and your air lasts for ages so you can dive for an hour. I really enjoy it.
Jules:D

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, would everyone who's going to Egypt adopt a little code, just so I don't cry with jealousy (2 of my mates went yesterday)? Instead of Egypt, say Hull. I can handle that the weather was great in Hull, and the viz was great, but very soon I'm just going to curl up in a little ball in Stoney and give up the will to live. You tell me you're going there, and I'll believe you.

If anyone actually likes Hull, and will be diving there anytie soon, you can pretend to be diving in Egypt. It will be just the same, just a bit colder, and probably a lot less fun. But cheap. You can say that you're going to Egypt, too, as I can deal with jealousy when I know you're really only going to Hull.

Deal? Everyone? Please? Pretty please?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Imported post

Digger,

having just read your last post I guess you wouldn't want to hear that I've just recently come back from diving in Thailand and will be diving in the Arabian Gulf  next weekend.  This will be closely followed by a long weekend to the Red Sea - on the Saudi side so we'll be the only boat at each site. Nice.

When I'm down at 50m, don't need a torch, and the temp is still around 30C I'll think of you in Stoney.

Cheers,  John

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

ok, this time next week we will be getting on board our liveaboard northsea ferry in  Hull and staying on it for a  week, diving our little socks off.
Cant wait!
jules

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Now Julia, you've got the idea. I'm imagining you and your lovely family putting drysuits on and thick gloves, hoods and a very small, uncomfortable rib. Good effort, you've made me feel very good about going to Stoney.

John, I think you may have confused Thailand with Plymouth. I was there, and it was warm(ish), you didn't need a torch at 50, and it was all ery nice. I can see that there may be some confusion over the Arabian Gulf. I think what you meant was that you would be diving in Guildenburg that week, as you enjoyed british quarry diving. Didn't you? If not, please leave me in the dark. I'm nearly in tears now.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>And some of us have to live and dive for a living on Tenerife where the water temp is only 25C and the air temp is in the upper 30th but we have a lousy 30m vis........... I hope that chears you up a bit Digger.

Regards
Michael

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

OK, that's it. I call for a ban on talking about nice places to dive. From now on the word viz must be followed bya  single digit, and temperatures over 20 degrees will be treated as a lie. They must be. Water can't be that much warmer as you go anywhere but our fair isle.

I know you're all secretly diving in Hull, enjoying the nightlife that comes with it. All I can say is that if you lie like this for long enough, eventually someone's going to start believing you.

John, thank you for your sympathy, but I feel you didn't condemn the honourable gentleman for his blatant lie. No-one lives in Tenerife, because the diving is so bad. I'm sure it is. Worse than Hull, apparently. Oh god, I'm delusional.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

OK Digger if it makes you feel any better,  In September I will be spending sometime in cramped confined conditions.  Vis is expected to be pretty questionable but single figures are probably about right and water temperature will be I would guess 17c  

Daz,

Yep this cage diving with Great Whites off South Africa sure is going to be a chore.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Digger @ Aug. 04 2003,11:43)]OK, that's it. I call for a ban on talking about nice places to dive. From now on the word viz must be followed bya  single digit, and temperatures over 20 degrees will be treated as a lie. They must be.
Christ, the rules are bloody strict on this forum.

Following "Digger's Law" I'm in, um, "Margate", where the normal viz is 2-3 metres and the sea's 2-3 degrees, give or take a decimal point.

Come visit...

tas

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Imported post

Good, I think everyone's geting the idea. Daz, you're a wanted man. It's on my list, and I won't have other people crossing things off their list when all I'm doing at the moment is making longer and longer lists.

Has anyone else noticed how the great whites always attack the cage to get at the divers? Is it me, or is there usually a cameraman swimming around outside? Go for the diddy one with the camera! Maybe great whites are camera-shy, and won't go near him. Maybe instead of shark sticks and repellent devices we should all be taking video-cameras underwater? I think I've missed something.

Now, Margate. I like that sort of talk. Tell me more!!!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Imported post

I'm off to suffer the unbearable heat of Sharm for two months next weekend ;-)

Anyone else going to be there at the same time?
I'll be with Emperor Divers.

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hey Digs,  could you do us all a favour and welcome any new joiners because it looks like many of us will be out of the country sometime over the next couple of months.

Cheers mate, I knew we could rely on you.  

Daz

·
Registered
301 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>HAHA! I'm going to ejipt! muahahahahahaha muahahahahah muahaahahahaha (evil laff)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts