YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Dear all,

I know that you are experienced divers but where would you say is the best diving in the world? In terms of location and stuff to see...

I am looking for somewhere spectacular to go for a special birthday in a couple of years and would appreciate any input on this...

Cheers,

Patrick

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

For my mind, the best diving in the world is right here at home
and I am not taking the piss.

Second best I've ever been would have to be the Brother islands in the Red Sea with a side order of Elphinstone reef.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

hmm I don't think I could agree with Noel on this one , but some people do seem to actually prefer UK diving, I dive every week overhear but I would much rather be diving The Great Barrier Reef, Thailand, or the Caribbean, the best diving I have done is a wreck in Barbados teeming with life, and Egypt , although the first two places I mentioned are probably slightly better, I guess it depends on your budget , Egypt is probably the cheapest and best value for money !

·
Registered
483 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#8D38C9'>For the best divng in the world I'd have to say Chuk Lagoon in Micronesia (Pacific). Never been, but read & seen loads about it and really really want to go, but it costs a fortune!! There's a variety of diving, but it's famous for it's wrecks. A lot of the WW2 Japanese fleet is here, almost perfect wrecks! I'm told the wrecks at 40m can be seen fully from the surface!!
Second choice would have to be The Cayman Islands. Again, loads to see especially wrecks!
Thirdly, the old faithful Red Sea. I have been here and it is amazing!!

Jen

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Tuff one

This realy depends on what you like? I could real off a dozen world class locations for different reasons but none may be what you want. You will have to give us a few clues. Sipadan, in Malaysia, is awesome for sheer variety of fish and drop offs, I saw 6 or 7 varieties of shark there alone. The GBR is good, but a bit touristy. 150 miles out into the Coral sea there are some of the biggerst and most prestine corals in the world, I am talking unbroken staghorn two meters deep and 30/40 meters across and lots more.

Go on, tell us your ideal dive and we'll come up with the location between us, someones bound to have been there?

James  

·
rEvolutionary Diving
4,542 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I just like being in water, prefer good viz, I've no problem with cold water but it's when you get out and i'ts cold that I don't care for. The Red Sea is fantastic value for money, good viz, plenty to see and it's warm, both in and out of the wet stuff.

I think James has a point, what is your idel dive?

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

I'm biased - Maldives, every time - but I have the advantage, when I get there, of going/diving where the masses don't! ;)

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

The Liberty ship in Bali. I know a girl(Dee) that's dived pretty much all over the world and she swears by this wreck as a cracker.

Perter

·
Registered
141 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>Maldives - for best all round diving... great value, service, marine life, temperature, viz and depth.

And this is in comparison to my experience of diving in on the Great Barrier Reef, in the Red Sea, Dominican Republic, South Africa and Bermuda, (and I have snorkelled in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia).

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

I've been to many of the places named above and had some wonderful dives but I don't believe any of them ranks as best in the world. That title has to go to the northern part of the Galapagos (Wolf and Darwin Islands) by all accounts, unless you insist on diving wrecks. I haven't been there (can't affrod it) but am still hoping to get there one day, in which case it will be on this boat:
http://access-galapagos.com/
The best cold-water (scenic) diving in the world according to Cousteau (and me  
) is the Emerald Sea (around Vancouver Island in Canada).

·
Stability - in an ever spinning world
1,080 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF0000'>if you want to see the big stuff and dont mind a long trip.....i think i saw everything big as in sharks,big as in whayle sharks,
and n o other boats for a week!
burma banks

out of all  my trips this one(at the time)took the prize hands down
best john routley

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Imported post

Hi!

I'm also a fan of the maldives...although I suspect that this doesn't offer the best diving in the world...

I think it is all relative to what you enjoy on a personal level...what someone might rank as being the best in the world might be another persons idea of crap diving and vice versa!!!!

Good luck in finding your location!!!

Scubachick

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks all for your feedback...

I should have given you a bit more on what we are looking for so here goes...

Oh, BTW, we are planning GBR from Cairns and a nearby island next year...partly just because it is one of those things that you feel you have to do...

back to the problem at hand...money is not necessarily a problem (within reason) as we will save whatever is required...

I guess we would like, warm water, great viz and lots of sealife, including big stuff...sharks, dolphins, turtles, rays etc... and some nice coral...not a liveaboard unless (like I suspect at the galapagos) it is strictly necessary but the accommodation and location should be part of the deal too...nice beaches for the surface intervals...

Thanks for your input so fat and if this sparks anything off then please feel free to add as you see fit...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ratbag @ April 26 2004,09:08)]including big stuff...sharks, dolphins, turtles, rays etc... and some nice coral...
South Africa.. there's nowhere better for the big stuff, as far as I'm concerned: Whale Sharks, Great Whites, Bull Sharks, Tiger Sharks, Ragged Tooth Sharks, Hammerheads, Manta's, Eagle Rays, Dolphins, Huuuuuge Turtles.... and in the winter... Humpback and Southern Right Whales too...

Wrecks covered in soft coral and teeming with small fish.. not brilliant on the hard coral, to be fair.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

Hi Ratbags

As your out in the GBR, do the Yongala wreck, I missed it a couple of years ago due to bad weather and was gutted, it would have been the highlight of my trip. Don't know about the Galaps? I think it's semi-cold out there due to currents so don't feel you've missed out if you like warm water, but you will miss the life. If I were you I'd go to Sipadan. Warm water, oceanic island with dives either off the beach or 1 minuit by boat, (it is surrounded by 600m dropoffs mostly), unlimited diving, shed loads of fish and too many species to shake a stick at. It is very easy and rewarding diving with tornados of barracuda, 20 turtles on every dive, and schools of hammerheads (if your lucky). It is a small island, you can walk round it in 20 minuits, and the accomodation is a bit bare but if you want peace and tranquility, it's great.

James  

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Re the Yongala: It's a fantastic dive.
Re northern Galapagos: The temperature in the sea varies a lot. You need to take two suits, as I understand it - a thin tropical wetsuit and a 7 mm semidry or drysuit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've still not been, but the diving off Belize is meant to be amazing, it's one of those places not many have dived and I really really really want to go.
GBR is amazing too though, I've at least done that.  And Thailand's not bad  

·
Registered
252 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I would suggest you take a look at one of the last unspoilt diving areas of the world before it do"s get spoilt. Papua New guinea.
My wife and I have dived most of the world and this was the best,  vast fields of coral and in pristinecondition, abundant tropical marine life and the service was the best. As soon as we arrived all staff was introduced to us and the new us by first name. Even thou we were 24 hours late geting there we did our first dive within a 1/2 hour of arriving ( just the DM my wife and I ) the rest of the diving was four to a boat except one time we had six. A couple of times my wife did a night dive just her and the DM no others takers. I can not recomend it enough honestly the best diving/service we have ever had. If you are intrested take a look.
http://www.walindi.com/walindivesites.html
The web site is not better than the diving its the otherway around the diving is better than the web site.
All the best
David

1 - 20 of 37 Posts