YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

We'll we've had some good recommendations for diving reads.

How about the WORST diving reads, IE Those books or Magazines that do little to inspire you and a complete waste of money.?

·
Small, yet perfectly formed...
3,299 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#FF00FF'>expecting to be shot down in flames here but I bought the BSAC manual about 15 years ago because Iwas interested in learning to dive and thought I would read up on it. It was really unreadable and put me off for ages (that and raising two kids)..
Slag PADI off all you like but the books are well written and explain concepts well.
jules

·
The Artist formerly known as 'Kirky'
2,228 Posts
Imported post

Agree - Dive magazine - outdated, very BSAC and old fashioned.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

Sorry Tim. I have been suitably informed that you are on YD, but anyway!!!!
Neutral Buoancy(shit spelling) by Tim Ecott. Too much happy-clappy diving in clear viz and not enough nitty-gritty diving. From a guy who frequents UK waters he seemed to aim this book at holiday divers for the fast buck(fair play I suppose). There was nothing educational in it that even an ordinary OW diver should not have already known. I just don't understand why people liked it. Sorry, I thought it was sh*t. I'm glad I never bought it and only borrowed it from the library. And that's my book report for the day.

Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

My worst diving read was 'David Copperfield', by Charles Dickens - not ONE word about diving in the whole damed book!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Imported post

My personal pet hates are

Skin Diver Magazine
A US Publication I believe, is it still going? padded with adverts to dive warm water destinations. All the copies I have ever got had zilch of interest to a cold water diver.

PADI Undersea Journal,
"Dons flame retardent suit" despite the fact that its aimed at the "proffesional" don't find this particularly inspiring. Inevitably pitched at the US members. Getting better the odd article on UK diving.

Suppose we can add diving video's to this, what about the one about "The wheel"  "see how easy it is"!!!!! those who've seen it will know what I mean. urgh

·
old time
6,658 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Heres my list.

Dive mag,,, to many adverts and clear water diving ( ideal for B**C divers, matches the pool, i s'pose)

B**C Teaching scuba, should be read by 5 year olds.
OH and no the

BS*C instructor forums ( Full of ARMCHAIR and TILE divers )

Andy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

Robert Von Maier's Solo diving The art of underwater self-suffiency.
This is 100% crap i've read ladybird books with more information about diving.
Oh by the way i have a copy if anyone interested in buying ,if so please ignore above comments

Regards,

MAL..

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Well if we're talking videos as well how about television progs:

my candidate would be Aquanauts on sky (if it is still on) - amazing. It was (is?) pretty much Bill and Ted go diving. All the girls looked like Baywatch babaes and all the blokes were surfer bodybuilder types who all spoke in Californian dude speak and they all emerged from the water looking immaculate when we all know that a snot filled mask is a specific requirement. The cave diving episode was particularly awe inspiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts