YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Just posted!
Am a Lancashire based diver anyone give me an idea of enjoyable dive sites relative to where I live,(Capenwray ok for training). Would like some sites to get number of dives up but also like to see something down there. Isle of man not far but wanted day diving not staying over night. As I am on at Yorshire divers forum, what about that part of the world.
Am a Padi DM with experience to 30 plus, some warm and cold water, wrecks etc
Many thanks and safe diving!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Imported post

depends on what u want to do...
boat or shore, fresh or salt
peeps always diving - try the "looking for a buddy" forum or get yer name down for the anglesey assault in "planned trips" forum.
if u wanna "see things" keep clear of wast water and coniston-two 'moonscape' dives as far as i am concerned.
keep safe

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Bren's in your neck of the woods (Manchester), he seems to go to Anglesey a bit, not too far to the lakes either
Chee-az
steve

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

angalsey is the best local diving for you

you can post here and go along with the organised trips, alternativley you can contact a dive charter boat and see if there is space for you on the boats

Dive Anglesey Charters.
Amlwch Harbour
Elfyn Jones - Skipper
Boat: the Julie Ann
M TEL: 07768 - 863355
H TEL: 01407 - 831210

Keith Forster - Skipper.
Boat: 'ESP'
M TEL: 07885 - 884388
H TEL: 0151 608 7901

Scott Waterman - Skipper.
Quest Diving Charters
Menai Bridge Harbour
Boat: Voyageur
TEL: 01248 - 716923
Mob: 07974 - 249005

if you have not dived locally (sea) befour, then i would advice you not to build up to high an expectation, there is some excelent diving to be had around north wales, but unfortunatley visability can be poor at times

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Imported post

Thanks!
Salt or freshwater are ok. Will look at Anglesey and the forum. May see some of you wet-side.
Twix.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

if you want to try somthing different??...........try the river ribble (church deep's) locally known as the fireman's stretch.
very intresting dive located just outside preston town centre on the edge of walton le dale directly opposite walton summit retail park.
the river come's round at 90 degree's almost, and shelve's from shallow's to about 25m at the deepest part that i found last year.
plenty of huge carp and catfish to be seen under the tree root's and the gravel run at the bottom is usually awash with big barbel and the occasional monster essox lucis, sea trout are in abundance at the right time of year and there are usually plenty of goodie's to find. there is no chance of being swept away by tide's etc as the start of the basin is only inch's deep as is the exit .

failing that try cuerden lake at the back end of bamber bridge, bit of a trek with the kit and you will need a trolly and are best advised to acess it from the chorley end as the walk is shorter and not as steep.

huge pike and carp are in abundance round the island and the nature reserve and the vizz is usually pretty reasonable.
there is nothing that say's you can dive it, but nothing that say's you cant if you get my drift.

make's a change from crap and rainy.

regard's

mark

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

So wheres that exactly noitrox.  sounds interesting...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

both at the back end of preston mate, easily found from junction 29 m6. come of at j29 bamber bridge and turn left for chorley (euxton) and you will pass cuerden park just under the motorway bridge (look for the manor on yer left) or turn right off j29 through bamber bridge  past the pear tree pub down the big hill who's name escape's me and its right in front of you at the mini roundabout behind the church at the bottom of mere brow.walton summit tading estate is on
yer left. if you get lost just ask for the london road and the river run's right along side it and just look for the church.

failing that mate try the wier pools at ingleton fall's, all you need is a pony set up and it's a reet good crack.

hth

mark

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

New ones on me those Nitrox,
A couple i've not dived for years Stainforth Fosse, Beezley Falls (I think the latter may be the one you mention near Ingleton).  At the right time of year Devils Bridge at Kirkby Lonsdale, Salmon and Sea Trout (check access) as you can only dive certain times of the year.
I was down on the river Ribble the other weekend some interesting sites (no canoe's) signs up on the higher reaches of the river "pity" can't see the landowners or fishing clubs being pro divers.  

·
Registered
202 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>yeah, never stopped me yet though.

no swimming dosn't mean no diving, and once yer in what are they gonna do. i usually do it and argue about it later.

there are some very nice stretch's up ribbchester way.

church deep's is worth a pootle though.

regard's

nitrox  

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Imported post

Hey Twix,

Apart from those sites mentioned by Nitrox (none of which I've dived, but wouldn't mind a day out getting wet there), there is the day or night diving at Devil's Bridge over the River Lune (Carnforth, Kirkby Lonsdale way). Plenty of eels and some nice crevices to pootle in at about an eight metre max bottom.

As Steve W said, there is the Lake District - we usually dive Wastwater along with Conniston and Windermere. Wast has the best viz (invariably well over 25 to 30 metres is standard) and is a glorious part of the world during your surface interval.

Anglesey is an easy day's diving either off the shore or RIB (Trearddur Bay for fills) or out of Amlwch or Menai Bridge for hard boats. It's also got some amazing wrecks in all depth ranges. If you're up for it, we've got a team trip there on the weekend of 05th and 06th July. Check 'Planned Trips' for more details and get yourself booked on it.

Isle of Man is a place where I've set my heart on diving some time in the very near future! Both the stuff I've read and the convos I've had with those who have dived her only convince me more that it has to be one of our next stops.

I live in Manchester so have very easy access to all the motorways and routes to anywhere in the country on my doorstep - most places are easily reachable within 4 or 5 hours max.

Hope this helps and see you on a dive sometimne soon.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Nitrox
Funnily enough it was near Ribchester that the no canoes sign was. Don't know how deep it is around there bit it does look interesting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Imported post

Thanks again.
Am keeping an eye on the planned dives and hope to fit one in,(self employed so not always easy). Isle of man in May I am busting for, as I here the possabilty of whale sharks is quite high.  

Safe diving
Twix

1 - 13 of 13 Posts