YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

This just in from Sunday's Telegraph:

"The Volunteers of Southport's lifeboat have been turned down for a lottery grant to build a new boathouse because they do not rescue enough poor people..."

Gotta say I was blissfully unaware that grants had strings attached. What next? The RNLI getting refused grants on the grounds that they don't rescue enough Chinamen who have naturally ginger Afro's?? FFS.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

Bren,
The whole f*****g sorry point about this is that RNLI even have to ASK for lottery funding when you look at some of the shite in this country who get it for staying in bed all f*****g day!!
This RNLI situation really does piss me off - are they not a really special case??!!
Cheers
John

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Imported post

I realise that I'll probably get it for this, BUT, i was told that the RNLI actually have too much money and they just can't spend it quick enough. At the time it made sense because everybody gives them money from little old ladies leaving a fortune in their wills to the the RNLI associate thingy. The RNLI will get an arm and a leg from the lottery, i think that report is just a little extended journalism.   :flame:
Peter

·
Registered
12,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Imported post

John,

You are indeed a sainted man.

I'm a Governor of the RNLI and I think this situation stinks. I'd like to think (hope!) that if ever I'm in the brown stuff then there might be a boat in the immediate environ to help drag my sorry carcass out and bring it home - regardless of whether I'm rich or potless.

And you're right - having to ask is both demeaning and a piss-poor state of affairs as this 'kind' of help should be - along with defence of the Realm - an absolute given.

I spent some time with the US Coast Guard when living there, and you wanna see what kind of kit/resource they've got available to them both on-hand and to-hand. Kin outrageous by comparison.

Take it easy and use your vote wisely.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Imported post

:wavey:
Hi Pete and Bren,
You summed it up perfectly Peter, but my whole point is that this kind of organisation should never have to be dependent on legacies from old dears or charity handouts - it should be given the same importance when looking at funding as the government(s)of any political persuasion have given to the most dire politically correct pressure groups over the last 30/40 years. The cost of the dome would have kept the RNLI going into the NEXT millenium!!!
I admire these people beyond belief, its about time MPs(certainly those in coastal areas at the very least) were called to task for this state of affairs.
:soapbox:
:realmad:

John

·
Registered
186 Posts
Imported post

They just didn't write the request properly, if they would reapply for boating premises and a large motor yacht to provide rescue boating facilites for multy-cultural and other minority groups the grant will be successful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts