YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>On Sunday (27th July) me and Mrs abucksdiver will be wandering down to Wraysbury for a bit of a wet...

Matt, Lou, do you two, with Adam and Caroline, fancy meeting up down there?

(This is, of course, open to anybody else that might be around as well... LesleySS are you back yet?)

Regards
abucksdiver

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Andrew
I need to check the calendar, plus I'll need some air before I can get in the water. My local dive shop has just been fined by the HSE following a clampdown on their procedures as the result of an incident at Stoney. They werent to blame for the divers death apparently, nor were they in serious breach of HSE regs but its left a nasty taste in my mouth as to their safety standards. I did a couple of days at Stoney with them and cant say I was all that happy, havent done any training with them since, and have been a bit concerned about other issues too.

I'll get back to you.
Matt

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'><Feeble attempt at humour> If it left a nasty taste, I'd find someone else to do your air-fills</Feeble attempt at humour>

No worries, Matt.
I need to get some air too, but with a diveshop a 5min drive/20min walk from work, thats not too much of an issue!
If you are lucky, Wraysbury do pretty good (as in full) fills... but if they have a queue, they just wack the air in, heat up the cylinder, and you get what is left once it cools again!
What is your local dive shop, Matt?
Mrs abucks and I are hoping that so friends will be joining us at Wraysbury. They have recently started their own PADI School/shop but it is based in Camberley, Surrey, and so is a bit of a trek to get to (although I might wander over on Saturday, if I have the time!)
Hope to see you if you can make it...

abucksdiver

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

The shop name is Mike's in London Colney, although I understand the training agency has nothing to do with the shop side of things, Waterfront Scuba I think is also a trading name they use. I have received good advice from them and always been treated well, but safety is a major concern especially as my boy dives, I may just take a long look at what they offer and be more sceptical rather than naievely trusting - perhaps its a wake up call

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (abucksdiver @ July 21 2003,08:53)](This is, of course, open to anybody else that might be around as well... LesleySS are you back yet?)
I am indeed back, thanks for remembering me.  I may well be able to do Wraysbury this weekend as it looks like Stoney has been delayed a week for me.  Will check with Mr Lesley and see if he fancies it too.  Do you think I could get away with wearing a semi dry???  

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Lesley
Some friends did a rescue course there this weekend, and their computers registered 21-22 degrees.... and that had people in the water in shorts and tee-shirts at one point!

(When I did my rescue there about 6 weeks ago, my instructor took his semi down on the Sunday, as he got too hot on the saturday! (And the water was only 19 deg then!)

Yes, I would think a semi would be fine.

Hope to see you on Sunday!

abucksdiver

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

Thanks for that.  However....  met my instructor last night and I am going to be doing my dry suit pool sessions tonight and then doing the open water part this weekend at Stoney Cove.

This is obviously good as it means I'm finally getting my finger out and doing the dry suit thing, but it also means I won't do Wraysbury this Sunday.  It's a shame as I really do fancy it, but there are plenty of other weekends to come!

·
9,135 Posts
Imported post

Lesley
we went the other weekend, my boy uses a 5mm semi, double layer body, I use a 7mm, double layer body and integral hood.
Toasty warm on two 45 min dives including SI with no problem. The boy ditched his hood on the second dive, I cant and my head was lovely and warm all dive. The suits flush a little and have no titanium lining so I'd think you'd be fine.

Hopefully we will be there Sunday too.

Matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

I will now be at Stoney this weekend completing my dry suit course so I won't be able to join you all at Wraysbury on Sunday.  Have fun!

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

Shame I missed this thread, they will be 6+ of us there on Saturday (from Scubaboard), if I had of known.....

Anyway, if anyone fancies getting a dive or two in on Saturday then just let me know or see you there

1 - 10 of 10 Posts