YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

The boy and I 'did' Wraysbury last Friday. Pretty basic site, not very deep - about 10m. The bottom composition could best described as 'soft clay' well it was when I put my hand in it, up to the wrist. Now that is one way of teaching newbies buoyancy control, drop in there and disappear for ever. Sure as Hell wasnt going to get too close again. People on site seemed OK and it was easy to get to, so no complaints really. Parked up alongside the 'lake' and fell in the water. First dive about 40 mins in our wet suits as the water temp was a roasting 21 or so. I had forgotten how restrictive my wet suit was but Adam hasnt really got to like his now too small dry-suit so it was a perfect excuse to ensure his wet one still fitted and I like to dive in the same suit as him so I know if he's getting cold. We both have almost identical kit (sounds a bit DIR that doesnt it) so we know whats where and how it works almost without thinking. Found the London cab and some wild life but to be honest not much, perhaps someone who knows the place better would find more. SI about 90 mins, watch out for the dogs nicking your lunch though and the smaller dog insists you throw his ball numerous time. So if you like eating your lunch with fingers covered in dog spit I can thoroughly recommend Wraysbury.  

Second dive much the same as the first except I tried for a bit of navigation, hmmm!! think I need to brush up on that one.
Didnt seem like there was much in the way of safety cover and they didnt check our 'tickets' except to say 'you signed the waiver, you're only cheating yourself', true I suppose but not exactly re-assuring.
All in all though a pretty good place to check out kit etc and nowhere near as expensive (or as good) as Stoney, but easier to get to and I'd certainly go back as its much better than a swimming pool!

So mission accomplished, Adam dived like he hadnt stopped at all and I am happy that we can do Cornwall with a happy heart. The wet suits were perfect for the conditions and it looks like I might just be able to put off the decision to buy a new one for a couple of months.

Matt

·
That's Dude with an E
12,959 Posts
Imported post

Yippee dippee dooo,   l`m going there tomorrow evening, l`m so looking forward it  

Or maybe l`ll just get a bucket of muddy water and stick my head in it.

·
Ginger, Irish, sometimes stroppy
5,997 Posts
Imported post

I lived in Uxbridge for 9 years before I learned to dive, now I live in Cambridge and there is nowhere near by at all, typical.

I may try and make it down there some weekend though, especially at 21 degrees, I wouldn't need to worry about dry suit training.

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

There is a boat stuck nose first in the mud which is quite disorintating when you find it. There is also a frute macheen and the tokens spread over the floor for a mock rummage dive. There are Pike and if you go under the training stages there are cray fish. BIG cray fish.

Personaly I think all you need for kit check is 10m of water so Wraysbury is local and OK. Dont expect much and you wont be disapointed.

Just dont do any courses there.

As for being better or worse than Stony?? Stoney is deeper and has the Stangarth. Thats it.

Apart form that it's another muddy puddle pretending to be a dive site and you should get in the sea ASAP and do some proper diving. Unless its winter then anything goes including wearing a twin set in the bath.

I have drunk tooooo much and I am going to bed

PS what do you think of this crab I got off the duke yesterday??

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Mark

Nice Crab, but it looks a bit overdue for the pot. Not like my Lobster on Sunday that was straight in.

Did Wraysbury once on a course, ok training and kit check venue, but not a touch an any salty water i can think of.

Matt

Glad you got all your kit checks out of the way, and i look forward to seeing you later in the Summer for some real wrecks.

Regards

Paul

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Oh yes

I went in side the wreck and came accros a nice sized lobster. Yum Yum. So I sticks my arm in the hole and grabed it. Unfortunatly the entire back of the hole mooved to reveal that it was not sheet steel but was in fact the flank of the mother of all conga.

I wrenched my arm out just as quick as it would come and ended up with a lobster claw and arm. I decided it was prudent to let the beast of the deep eat the rest of it.

Even better I turned arround to see Andrew hovering in the 1.0m high tunnel with a conga head hanging verticly down from the ceiling just above his head. He was oblivious to this and I decided that telling him wasnt a good idea

Spooky tunnel all we neded was Segorny Weaver to clinch it.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Imported post

Mark,
Is the crab the one wearing the T-shirt?

Paul,
already posted in the Submarine hunters bit.

later folks.
Matt

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MATTBIN @ July 25 2003,11:53)]Mark,
Is the crab the one wearing the T-shirt?

Paul,
already posted in the Submarine hunters bit.

later folks.
Matt
If it were a caption competition the crab would be saying

"Dr, Dr, Can you remove this unsightly growth on my arse."

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mark Chase @ July 17 2003,23:06)]PS what do you think of this crab I got off the duke yesterday??
Good work mark. Isn't it fun to get crabs  

This one was not too bad at 6.5lb, an easy male. The males tend to be out in the open all macho like. The females have all be hidden away with eggs.

Adrian

·
15,343 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (daz @ July 25 2003,12:23)]"Dr, Dr, Can you remove this unsightly growth on my arse."
You bugger  
I just coughed coffie all over my key board

Mark Chase

1 - 12 of 12 Posts