YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Wreck Detectives. - The Great Conger poll.

• Hate congers - they are not vicious.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Like congers - they are not vicious.

• Don't care- never dive in UK and so never seen one.

• Don't dive in the UK? Well our congers'd kick the shit out of your warm water morays!!!!!

• If you divers find it may I have my toe back.

• Isn't that a dance?

• Isn't that a rain forest in Africa or somewhere.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

OK - a post to find our real attitude to congers.

So far I love them - inquisitive and not too worried by divers.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Haven't seen one face to face UW, but have caught plenty in my "previous" hobby as a fisherman.

They are vicious and they do bite, but I'm up for a meet on their terms to see if you lot have too many bubbles in the brain or not!

Not dangerous, pff!

P.S I heard it was a conger that knackered Ahab and not a white whale as per popular belief!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I've only heard of congers with attitude if you come cross them trapped somewhere, or if you stick your hand in something without looking first.

I like them

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Haven't seen one face to face UW, but have caught plenty in my "previous" hobby as a fisherman.  They are vicious and they do bite .....
I don't expect you'd be too happy if someone shove a metal hook through your gob and dragged you under water!  

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] but I'm up for a meet on their terms to see if you lot have too many bubbles in the brain or not!
They like a bit of a stroke ... well, don't we all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not dangerous, pff!
Pff yourself  
they are only dangerous if they bite you!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Imported post

Bloody hell Jo, first post today and they we can't shut you up!!  Always the way isn't it.... once you start talking you just can't stop!

And by the way, I think congers are cool.  The one I saw swimming in Scapa was fantastic.

·
Liberal Lefty
1,694 Posts
Imported post

Congers are great - like any animal they generally only go for you if you are scaring them

Unfortunately saw a dead one on Saturday cought in fishing line but I have come face to gace with a few on the Kyarra.

Now edible crabs, they do go for you if the hassle them.  Almost had my nose taken off by one.....

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Congers are great. Only see one, that was in the boiler on the Glenstrath Allen. But it's head was thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis big!! <outstretched arms>  
 Nothing like shining your torch into a dark hole to be unexpectley greeted with one of those beauties looking at you. Definate "Duck me" factor. At least I think that's what I said..

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

Was watching Rick Stein on daytime TV (yes, I was that bored...) and he likes them a lot - reckons they always have conger in their fish stock for the flavour!  

Ambivalent (saw Countdown too) really - not that pretty and have big teeth.  Then again, you can eat them if you're that way inclined, and they're a good size, so good to have lurking to spice up a dive...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

I'm still looking forward to seeing one for the first time, we dived the S.S.Bretagne last weekend and the other buddy pair on the wreck the same time as us saw two of them!
Lucky buggers !

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Imported post

There's always at least one lurking in the hold.  Unfortunately I've dived when dead ones have had to be cut out of fishing line.  Not nice.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

Congers are pretty - you just have to look at them in the right light!  Seriously, how can you not love those puppy dog eyes???

Fishing for them is just another sad, macho act.  Look at the big, scary conger i fought and battled with......yeah, big deal, now put it down and go home.  

Actually they are fascinating.  When they are ready to breed in their far away unkown land they stop eating and all their internal organs shrink away to leave room for their gonads to grow improbably large.  They then go and mate before dying.

How can you not love a creature that saves it all up for a big one like that??

Lou

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mdemon @ April 21 2004,19:35)]There's always at least one lurking in the hold.  Unfortunately I've dived when dead ones have had to be cut out of fishing line.  Not nice.
yeah ! I will have to keep a sharper eye open! I would really love to see one, have dived the wreck three times now, twice penetrating the holds!
First occasion my leg got tangled in fishing wire and had to cut myself free luckily it was on the deck and not in the holds!
One thing I don't like about fishermen is that they leave a mess wherever they go !

·
Registered
263 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ April 21 2004,20:04)]Fishing for them is just another sad, macho act.  Look at the big, scary conger i fought and battled with......yeah, big deal, now put it down and go home.  
Tell a lie, I did see a Congo once , 7 ft long , dead and being held up by a stupid grinning fisherman for photos  

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>LOVE THEM
conger or a skinhead
least u can trust a conger
and anyway itll struggle to see you
bugger so will a skinhead after all the special brew they drink
ps brian
getting a box in yellow

·
Registered
280 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>lou
your writing is sad
how can anyone spend so long reading about a bloody blue eel

·
iGeek therefore iTrek
3,253 Posts
Imported post

Congers - Cooooool, love 'em to bits. Although one did scare the sh*t out of me in Anglesey one weekend whilst I was rummaging through some Kelp
Not quite as scary though as the 6 foot Moray that decided to investigate me a little closer than I would have liked on the Um El Faroud...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts