• Reef

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

What dives do we all prefer?? i know real reefs are few and far between around our coast, but the wrecks are battered!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>...but the wrecks are battered, and so have been most of the fish!!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (darren barker @ Aug. 14 2003,01:03)]...but the wrecks are battered, and so have been most of the fish!!
Well put.

Anyway, reef diving is for holidays and other times when there aren't any wrecks. Generally wrecks have as much/more life on them anyway.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Hard to say. Generally speaking, I'm more interested in the biological side than rusty boilers but there are some fantastic wrecks in the UK, as well as some fantastic scenic dives.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Imported post

D'ya know what?  I haven't voted, because I can't pick between the two.  My biggest reason for diving is for the marine life, but you get that on a wreck, plus some interesting places to look, all within a small area.  However a beautiful reef is far nicer to look at than a wreck but might have less poking around opportunities - better viewed from a distance as it were.

Ok, I'm voting reef, because if we had a choice to keep only wrecks or reefs in our oceans it would have to be reefs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lou @ Aug. 14 2003,13:42)]D'ya know what?  I haven't voted, because I can't pick between the two.  My biggest reason for diving is for the marine life, but you get that on a wreck, plus some interesting places to look, all within a small area.  However a beautiful reef is far nicer to look at than a wreck but might have less poking around opportunities - better viewed from a distance as it were.

Ok, I'm voting reef, because if we had a choice to keep only wrecks or reefs in our oceans it would have to be reefs.
Spot on.  Agree completely and am also voting for reefs!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...but the wrecks are battered, and so have been most of the fish!!
For some reason, that reminds me of the poem:
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
And so are you
But the roses are wilting
The violets are dead
The sugarbowl's empty
And so is your head

I went for null vote. Who cares what's down there so long as it's interesting?

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Yeah, what Dave Lou and Lesley said.

Wrecks are just artifical reefs to me.  I have no interest in plodding down a corridor / engine room etc on a boat above water - why would I want to do it underwater?

Are wreckies mad on boats generally or just the UW ones?

Tim

ps.  on a wreck at the w/e and saw the biggest lobster I had ever seen - honest this thing was absolutely 'kin HUGE.  I would never have seen that under some rocks on a reef - some bugger would have had it away in no time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Imported post

I to have to give a null vote.
I enjoy wrecks because i feel so privilaged to venture round these natrual museums.to find a virgin wreck must be an awsome feeling to be there and see things no one else has.But i also find reefs and the marine life in there own envioroment interesting and some of these reefs put the wrecks there anyway  

GUV.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

Well, I didn't vote before but after reading Lou's posting I would also choose reefs if I was forced to choose one or the other, so now I've voted for reefs.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>I choose wrecks, but keeping in mind that both will be available. I like more wrecks (not deliberate sunken ships) that sunk by accident as they have history. Diving a wreck for example of world war II, knowing that people from your country Malta or even from your country England had died to keep our country free, makes you think and respect them. These wrecks also make you more aware that in War no one wins and how much force the Sea can unleash.Also watching a wreck damage will get you a picture of what these poor souls have passed through. Also for wrecks I had to choose Trimix so I can dive deeper wrecks which are nearly undisturbed.

SO wrecks defenetly.

·
DUE CEO, Booking agent, Coffee maker & Dogsbody...
10,161 Posts
Imported post

Hi all,

Voted for wrecks as thats what i dive all the time, having said that i spend as much time looking at the sealife as at the ship, so i would get as much out of a reef as a wreck.

However like Pierre i am very much into the ships history and i enjoy many a surface interval hour researching what i have and intend to dive.

When you dive on wrecks of such an awsome formation as the Dover Patrol of both WW, and those of the U-Boats they sank, many like UB55 which could be the basis for a major film by itself, there is so much more to the diving than just the wrecks.

Ever heard of "Brook of the Bank"? British Destroyer Captain, WW1, his ship intercepted a flotilla of German Destroyers and in true RN tradition went on the offensive, engaging 2 with gunfire and raming then bording a third with cutlasses (in the 20th Century FFS), balls that clang. But how many but divers read about this guy and his crew now? Plus you can dive the german destroyes.

Give me that history on top of a good dive any day.

Regards

Paul

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Imported post

Totally totally agree with Pierre. Aside from the fact that we as a nation owe a huge debt to the Maltese for what they suffered in WWII (Malta-GC as the island is known to those who remember) - I've always felt more than a little awe-struck when diving wrecks.  Picture the scene - follow the shot down onto the decks, move forwards to the bow, slip over the pointy bit and settle onto the bed. Even in poorish vis you can see the bow looming up above you & you can get a sense of the history behind what you're diving on. You might not know the wreck's history, but the nature of the beast means that good men and/or women died when the ship sank and the whole experience -for me anyway - is very humbling. Try it someday.
One can set aside the thrill of diving a virgin wreck, chasing around after lobsters, scallops, plates, goodies, the huge amount of sea life that congregates on and around a wreck - which incidentally far exceeds anything you'll ever see in the Med -  the one thing that always looms up on me is respect and what we as a nation owe the folk who gave up their lives to put us where we are today.
As a balancing argument, I have dived the Red Sea recently and to be honest I was bored after 5 days  - though the dysesentery might have had a bit to do with that opinion - you can only see so many fan corals and Lionfish before it all gets a bit same-ish. The sharks were cool though. Diving European WW1 or WWII wrecks, the variety of life and challenges just make the whole experience so much more interesting...   Not very balanced really, I have to admit.

I'll quite cheerfully trog to the other side of the planet to dive interesting historical wrecks - have done a couple of times just recently - but to do the same thing for reef dives.... The flora and fauna would have to be staggering to compete with the underwater scapyards.

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>I haven't done any diving on warm water reefs yet, so can't really express a preference, but I suspect that my experience might end up much the same as Rob's.

When I first dived the Bretagne we were dropped in forward of the bow and followed the anchor chain in. The bow of the ship emerged through the gloom, standing proud, upright and intact from the seabed. It was just like the opening scenes in Titanic. An awesome sight that sent a thrill through my spine!

Having said that, I hardly ever spend time on a wreck rummaging around for goodies. I much prefer to just float around and watch what all the sealife is doing.

So I guess it's a bit of both, but given a choice I'd always go for a wreck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
?

what a silly vote, and some people actually voted for reefs??

not seen a porthole on a reef yet
but every marine life you get on reefs you get on wrecks, but usually bigger and more abundant

silly silly vote

lol can you guess what i voted for?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Imported post

Had to vote for Reefs,
As I have never seen a wreck underwater yet.
But in saying this I am off at chrissy to the Marlborough Sounds ( NZ).
and their they have the Lenintoff which took a dive at the cost of 308 lives
so this will be my first wreck dive,
So if the poll is still open I will revote then  lol
Steve

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rob Evans @ Aug. 15 2003,00:47)]The flora and fauna would have to be staggering to compete with the underwater scapyards.
It is, in many places. How about diving with mantas, whalesharks, hammerheads, dolphins, orcas and sealions, all in one week? I did that in the Sea of Cortez (Mexico).

·
Respected Wreck-diving Author & Resident Farnes Ex
666 Posts
Imported post

Hi Guys

Lots of fantastic big submerged reefs off Beadnell, Seahouses, the Farne Islands and Holy island (Northumberland), but wrecks have their own attractions. Usually what you find on reefs, you find on, and in wrecks, although some of the deeper wrecks have more and bigger crustaceans and fish in them.

Cheers Ron

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Imported post

I've not done many UK reefs, but after doing several drifts in Cornish waters, and having a real interest in all things aquatic, I'd have to be a reef for me everytime. I do wrecks with my club, because, as already pointed out, the UK isn't renowned for it's reefs, but even Worthing Reef, on a calm clear day can be absolutely amazing - last time I dived the reef (a couple of years ago now) it was a flat calm sea, 10M+ viz, and so much wildlife (lumpfish, dogfish, lobster, crab etc) that it was better than the med dives I've done on my last two holidays.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts