YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

Wrist seals

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rasilon 
#1 ·
Imported post

I've recently bought an Oceanic HD400 and whilst the neck seal works just fine (I figure it'll be less of a strangulation hazard after a few dives) the wrist seals don't seal very well.  On the basis that I don't want to ignore it and get wet, I figure I have three options:
1. Send it back to Oceanic with a "Fix, please." note.
2. Fit smaller wrist seals myself.
3. Get a dryglove with rings system.

Given the faff involved with getting one that was vaguely the right shape in the first place, I suspect that if I send it off, I won't see it until august.  I'm therefore leaning towards doing 2 & 3.  

So, before I go and buy bits and attack my drysuit, am I being daft?  Are latex wrist seals in any way standard, and will size small fit in the same sleeve that previously held  size medium?

#2 ·
Imported post

It depends how poor the wrist seal is but I'd like to suggest another option which I believe dates back to the days of hard hat diving; Greys are extra seals (£8.00 per pair for wrist ones from DWH)I think made of neoprene which fit over your current seals to provide extra protection. Admittedly I haven't used these myself as yet but was intending to try them as I sometimes get wrist leaks.
HTH
Steve

#3 ·
Imported post

Cheers, Steve.

Whilst the seal makes contact all round and the suit can be persuaded to do balloon impressions, when I turn my wrist, the seal slides round.  Trying it out in the bath resulted in an undersuit that was damp to the elbows.

I'll have a look at the greys idea, thanks.

#4 ·
Imported post

Rasilon,
      Wrist seals come in different size/thicknesses but from what youve said about yours i suspect that the problem could be in part due to you - do you have sinewy wrists, that is does the underside of your wrist have " sticky out" tendons?? a lot of people have this trouble with wrist seals.
the solutions are
1 dry gloves will certainly sort the problem, but they cost quite a bit and if your hands dont suffer from the cold too bad i wouldnt recomend.
from memory the oceanic suits have cone seals, which only contact a small portion of the wrist, ive found that the other type of latex seal ( as used by roho) offers a longer contact area on the wrist itself & works well for people with tendony wrists (like me!)
of the two options new wrist seals is the cheaper and would take about a week to fit.

#5 ·
Imported post

I was under the impression that they were bellows seals, a parallel sided cylinder about 1.5 - 2 inches long, then the radial version of an S-bend at which point they join to the sleeve?  I was going to say that my tendons are not particularly pronounced, but having just had a look clenching my fist results in a tunnel large enough to stick a WD40 straw through underneath my watch strap without touching the sides.  So whilst I still think the wrist seals are a bit loose, I think we've found the problem. Dry gloves may be useful because I got mild frostbite a few  years ago and my hands tend to run very cold nowadays.

Thanks, Duncan.

Edit: Some photos to illustrate... http://www.rasilon.net/photos/suit/

(Edited by rasilon at 8:58 pm on Feb. 6, 2003)

#6 ·
Imported post

hi again,
Just looked at your pics, and yup you are right on both counts - your wrist seals arnt cone seals and the look too big!
what size are your seals?
press the seal flat and measure the length of the seal. im working at ROHO on sat so if you let me know what size seals yours are i can check and see if there are smaller avialable, as for the dry gloves havent had chance to test mine yet but ive had a lot of good feedback about them.
stay tuned for a full report when i get mine wet

#7 ·
Imported post

I'd agree with Duncan,they do indeed look to small.You should'nt get such a pronounced gap when flexing the wrist,even with skinny wrists(I've got em too)but especially with a latex seal.
Until you get it sorted you can try a variation of Greys.Basically anything will do,insulation tape works well but don't overtighten it as it will become uncomfortable after a while.Velcro starps are v.good as you can easily adjust them.A section of inner tube works well too or a section of old wet/sry suit sleeve.
HTH,Hobby.

#8 ·
Imported post

I noticed from the photographs that you have the wrist seal quite far forward on the arm.

Not sure what the joint is called, but I normally pull the seal back so that the small bone that you can feel on the outside of the wrist does not sit under the wrist seal.  It means that the wrist seal is moved up to a 'fatter' part of the arm.

Just an idea to try before you start buying new seals and such.

Good luck and best regards

Kev

#9 ·
Imported post

According to the tag they are "medium".  I've had a word with the guys at Kent Diving and they claim to have small ones in stock so I'll attack the problem tomorrow.  

I might yet make it to a troop gig...
Thanks for your help lads, I appreciate it.

#10 ·
Imported post

Hi Kev,
The seals are further forward than normal since I am not actually wearing the suit in those photos, just sticking my arm down the sleeve.  My wrists actually get thinner for a few inches so I need to pull it back 6-8 inches to get what I'd call a good seal.  (Yes, I am chronicly thin.)
Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.