YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

Just uploaded a page about my latest DIY creation: The Wrist Intrument Panel

It's a fancy name for a carved up bit of drainpipe with bungee written through it, I know, but it IS techie black. And it DOES allow you to put on a compass, dive timer, depth gauge and dive recorder all in one go, no buckles, no lanyards, no fiddling around!

·
Gone...and probably best forgotten
1,403 Posts
Imported post

ooohhh dom.  i think i must hasve one!!

·
Finless: You couldn't invent him...
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Dom,

I'd thought of trying something similar but gave up when I couldn't figure how to get the thing to slide on and of my arm (or part to pivot round) to make it easier to see the things that were closer to my elbow.

Is it a completely round pipe or cut in half - like a piece of guttering OR more closely related a wrist slate.

Unless you are going to patent the instrument panel how about putting on a link to the info. I need to carry some backup stuff and am in danger of having arms full of gadgets.

As a matter of interest, whilst on hols in Tenerife last year there a French guy who had a flat piece of perspex with all his instruments on it. He had it on a bungee round his neck and just lifted it up to have it right in front of his nose.

Have a word with B&Q maybe they would be interested in getting into the diving DIY market.

No, I'm not being serious about B&Q, mind you ....

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Finless @ May 29 2003,11:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Unless you are going to patent the instrument panel how about putting on a link to the info.
I did - the bit in underlined text  

·
Just not enough dive time.
9,135 Posts
Imported post

So Dom, now I have my pony inverted and a wrist slate full of info do you fancy coming round and sorting out my hoses for me?
If I wasnt married I'd marry you.

Matt

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ May 29 2003,11:05)]I did - the bit in underlined text  
D'oh.

This kind of "instrument panel" may mak the phrase "slipping one off the wrist" a bit more mainstream - in diving circles anyway.

·
23,946 Posts
Imported post

Dom,

Had a look at the link and I think I will have a go.

I've still got some sticky back plastic left from my Blue Peter days so I can tart mine up a bit. I'm not fussy about looking all techie. A few pink dolphin stencils, a little box for paper clips perhaps and of course a pencil holder.

In fact I can see me taking this to extremes with shin and thigh versions as well - I'll end up looking like a stormtrooper from Star Wars. Cool.

Jesus, what have they been putting in my tea!

·
Dive without politics
2,106 Posts
Imported post

i seem to remember seeing this in an 'old' BSAC manual.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#0000FF'>Looks very neat Dom, whats that "sensus pro" thing I can't make out what it is.
Been using something similar but not as tidy as your model.
Not sure about the compass on the slate though, I like mine on the back of my hand so I can hold it directly in front while finning.

Chee-az
Steve

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Imported post

Sensus Pro - "The diver's black box" is a gadget that records depth, time, temperature, etc:
Web page
A big part of it's handiness is that it's dead easy to interface with my Palm. I'm beta-testing the plugin to interface it with AquaDiveLog as well..

It only looks tidy because you can't see the underside  

The compass is at the end nearest my hand (Unit is worn on right arm) so it's NEARLY at the hand.. but the whole thing is only intended as a "This is what I did, you might like to do something similar" guide - it's not the Holy Truth that must be copied exactly  

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dominic @ May 28 2003,16:29)]Sensus Pro - "The diver's black box" is a gadget that records depth, time, temperature, etc:
Web page
A big part of it's handiness is that it's dead easy to interface with my Palm. I'm beta-testing the plugin to interface it with AquaDiveLog as well..
I bought one as well, but mostly for the gadget factor -- they are one of the few companies that produce a decent interface document, which means that while they don't officially support Linux, there will be some software arriving shortly after I've done enough dives with it to test it properly... Online Version

·
Registered
118 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Steve W @ May 28 2003,17:31)]Very interesting, so how much are they in this country and where from?
I haven't found any place in this country that sells them -- it appears to only be mail order from their place in Canada.  The shipping isn't bank-breaking though. (And their online order system now understands UK postcodes too...)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Imported post

According to my bank statement, mine worked out at £74. Obviously, it varies with the exchange rate..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts