YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Technical Dive Instructor
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If somebody is selling a canister light (LED, HID, bright, Goodman handle), in good condition, please PM me with spec's and pictures!

Cheers!

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
What sort of burntime do you need, what sort of performance and what sort of budget?

·
4,501 Posts
Thanks, Graham. I am wondering if I can find something a bit "brighter"...
In what way brighter? Lumen produced or lux delivered? They're not bad little lights those 'focusable' 10w Halcyons. They're not full variable focus but they're nice lights with useful beams and compact heads.

A full variable focus 10w HiD will set you back a little money more but should perform a little better; albeit with a larger lighthead.

A 12w LED will typically put out more light but do less with it (more lumen created but less lux on target).

The next price and performance point would be something like a 16w LED (Agir or Hollis), and when I've put them up against lights they are indistinguishable from a 14w HiD.

Then you're in 18/21w HiD territory and ££££.

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Rob.
I am prepared to spend some $$$ on a good light, in fact I have found what I want already, but wanted to have a look if there is something second hand around, giving me similar performance.
I just want to get an idea what might be available in the 1200 lumen LED class, or 18-21W HID.

·
4,501 Posts
Beware of lumens! I have a genuine 1200 lumen LED which cost the best part of £300 and it has less beam penetration than my 2w Light Monkey backup light that cost less than 1/3 of that!

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely! I have had some pretty disappointing LED torches, too, but I believe LED is the future. I have seen the MB Sub Cave lights, and their 1200 lumen LED perform quite convincingly ;-)

·
Registered
381 Posts
if one were to upgrade from a 21w dark buster to an umbilical what would i be looking for?,
LED if possible,to be of an equal brightness,not so bothered by signaling just want to light up the wrecks

·
4,501 Posts
if one were to upgrade from a 21w dark buster to an umbilical what would i be looking for?,
LED if possible,to be of an equal brightness,not so bothered by signaling just want to light up the wrecks
The Darkbuster was a 24w HiD fixed focus...? So an equivalent beam pattern from an LED would probably be around the 35w / 2500 lumen mark...

A decent 21w HiD or even a modern 10w HiD should comfortably beat it in terms of focus and beam penetration but at the expense of area illumination; so it depends on what you want from your beam.

·
It's colder than a penguin's bollocks
1,476 Posts
Definitely! I have had some pretty disappointing LED torches, too, but I believe LED is the future. I have seen the MB Sub Cave lights, and their 1200 lumen LED perform quite convincingly ;-)
Yes i can vouch for that..I have the MB Sub VB-50...Brilliant torch.
I did consider selling it recently when i considered jacking in the uk diving..but i still have all my gear, which may get wet this month if the weather behaves.

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks ill look into that,its an older dark buster which is 21w fixed focus brightstar bulb which i believe is around the 1200 lumen mark,but could be wrong

the darkbuster has a hot spot and a halo around that,i like that kind of bean,just got torch envy of my mates GF!

·
Registered
381 Posts
thanks for the link,too soon at the moment im afraid,but out of interest how would that stand up against the darkbuster in terms of overall beam?

·
4,501 Posts
thanks ill look into that,its an older dark buster which is 21w fixed focus brightstar bulb which i believe is around the 1200 lumen mark,but could be wrong

the darkbuster has a hot spot and a halo around that,i like that kind of bean,just got torch envy of my mates GF!
Lumens are pretty irrelevant TBH as are the power consumption (esp when comparing different technologies). For a decent hot spot with Halo from an LED I'd try a 16w LED (or possibly 12w LED as it's cheaper with a more compact battery canister).

·
Registered
381 Posts
brilliant cheer5s,ill look at whats available in that range,smashing,
i know HIDS are still better but i fancy the indestructibility and cost of LED replacements

cant even complain about the darkbuster,its often the brightest torch down there,or when combined with buddy's GF HID its plenty light

·
4,501 Posts
Yes i can vouch for that..I have the MB Sub VB-50...Brilliant torch.
The MB Sub VB came out very well in the DX big light test with an average peak lux of 2947. The beam looks nice and tight as well - great for signalling but that means no halo.

The other LED which did rather well was the Halcyon EOS which produced an average peak lux of 1524 thanks to the optics which are well designed.

The Salvo 10w HiD fixed focus (a light I've never seen in the flesh and I don't think it ever made it to the UK) which is very similar to the fixed focus Halcyon Pro3 10w managed a measly 644.

The Light Monkey 50w HiD (one of which I have recently sold) posted a staggering 6700 whilst the LM 21w HiD I actually use managed 3611 (half the 50w or a MB Sub VB + plus a 10W HiD fixed focus).

The full test is here: Dive Xtras - Dive Xtras

·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The beam looks nice and tight as well - great for signalling but that means no halo.

The VB Cave has a variable beam, and for the test, they adjusted it to the narrowest setting. If you set it to wider, you get a halo ;-)

·
4,501 Posts
How much longer till the xray finally gets released?
I genuinely don't know but as we're so close to DEMA it wouldn't surprise me if they launch it there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts