YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Down under member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get some of the basic Apex servicing tools.

If anyone is looking to get rid of any of this kit feel free to drop me a PM.

PS. Yes, I'm still kicking myself for not taking up And's offer.

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Thanks Woz, got one of those already.
Ah, but is it 4" of prime Wozness? Because if not, and it's one of those gaylord beaver 1" things, then you are missing out.

I sleep with my Woz gauge as it is so nice. Thankfully it's also wipe-clean;)

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
If you've got a good IP gauge, then there's only a couple of other bits you need.

A C Spanner or two, available from your local hardware store, and a spent CO2 cartridge to put into a first stage port so you can clamp it into a vice.

Then you just need a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, or some biox and a microwave.

Digs.

·
All hail the mighty ZOM
26,851 Posts
If you've got a good IP gauge, then there's only a couple of other bits you need.

A C Spanner or two, available from your local hardware store, and a spent CO2 cartridge to put into a first stage port so you can clamp it into a vice.

Then you just need a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, or some biox and a microwave.

Digs.
Couple of things there that are completely wrong:

1. C spanner won't work you need a 40mm pin spanner. Like rocking horse poo. Your local tool place will have a massive pallet of C spanners but no pin spanners at all.
2. Do not put brass into a microwave unless you want a "Brainiac" style event.

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
Couple of things there that are completely wrong:

1. C spanner won't work you need a 40mm pin spanner. Like rocking horse poo. Your local tool place will have a massive pallet of C spanners but no pin spanners at all.
2. Do not put brass into a microwave unless you want a "Brainiac" style event.
Sorry, confused C spanner with pin spanner. I got mine for free, so never had to go searching. There's loads of them online, and pin spanners aren't the hardest thing in the world to find - I've seen them for sale at proper tool shops. Not B&Q.

I didn't mean putting everything into a microwave, you put the biox into a microwave before using it, the heat activates it and makes it work. A good reason why servicing should be left to people that know what they are doing. That doesn't include most dive shops :)

Digs.

·
Down under member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I suppose I should have stated what I was after. Yep a pair of C spanners (cause the XTX100 need two?). And I think that's it...

I'll probably get an ultrasonic cleaner when I get back to Oz or I might just use my girlfriend's one (she's a dentist).

What's biox and what do you use the microwave for? Oh and does the CO2 cartridge thing actually work?

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
What's biox and what do you use the microwave for? Oh and does the CO2 cartridge thing actually work?
BIOX - Bio degradeable cleaning fluid, quite often used by dive shops for O2 cleaning
Microwave - for heating the Biox. Our dive shop had an old kettle for heating biox.
CO2 cartridge thing works perfectly. Alternatively you can buy nice bars with a thread on either end for holding the reg in a vice

·
Down under member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So that should be it. I've got some Christo lube, some brass picks and a few first and second stage service kits. Any other suggestions?

PS. Wouldn't diluted vinegar and the ultrasonic bath be enough to clean all the bits? Or does the BIOX do a better job?

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
Wouldn't diluted vinegar and the ultrasonic bath be enough to clean all the bits? Or does the BIOX do a better job?
I seem to recall that 50/50 white vinegar and water is in the Apeks service manual as a recommended cleaning solution. I would have to check to make sure.

·
Down under member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suppose the real question is: Anyone recommend a good place to buy the correct C spanner? Or does anyone have some they want to get rid of?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I seem to recall that 50/50 white vinegar and water is in the Apeks service manual as a recommended cleaning solution. I would have to check to make sure.
Yep, read it in the manual yesterday. Works well on chromed brass and stainless. Used it on a crappy poseidon 1st stage and it came out looking like new, even the dive shop was impressed!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I tend to use powdered citric acid from the chemists, you don't get that nasty vinegar taste from everything if you don't wash it off properly.
You do get funny looks when you buy it though, the druggies use it for cleaning needles or something like that.......:D

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
I tend to use powdered citric acid from the chemists, you don't get that nasty vinegar taste from everything if you don't wash it off properly.
You do get funny looks when you buy it though, the druggies use it for cleaning needles or something like that.......:D
Yep...and homebrew shops sell it too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts