YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi, I rigged up a 15ltr with a windy gun bought from Aldi, Only had to swap the intake connect for a suit one and a bit of PTFE tape, took it down to 55m with a buddy and we tried to knock off some nuts from a porthole! Rattled my teeth loads and made you feel like you needed a poo!!! Problem was you couldnt get enough force behind the tool to let it do its work! It was great fun and bodies coming down the line could hear us buzzing away. Good look! Yoda

·
Registered
257 Posts

Many moons ago a buddy of mine experimented with one of those air hammer gun jobbies and
he forgot that it was not water proof. He took it to about 15 mtrs and found a missing piece of
ship and tried to knock bits off it. He pulled the trigger and BANG
the thing hydroliced and pushed part of the casing out of the body.

How we laughed...

taz

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,154 Posts
I built one with an air tool I got from Screwfix.. works nicely, but doesn't half drain a tank quickly..
I think about a full ten litre in about ten mins of use.
At £3 a tank, its an expensive way of changing wheels.

·
a stroke of good looks
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm after it to use on the odd stubborn nut on the car. At the moment I'm trying to get my crank pulley off but it ain't happening by hand. I'm going to be stripping the suspension out over summer, which has been on there 23 years so no doubt it'll be very handy then too :)

it'll work out more than the cost of a cheap compressor eventually i think in terms of air fills, but I've got no room to store a compressor that I'll only use a handful of times a year, and this means I won't need to pay a garage to do stuff on the car any more. Power to the people!

I love the sound of 'em too :D

·
Keyboard Worrier
4,154 Posts
I used this one:
Air Ratchet Set - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
£29 with some sockets.

However, its value is in spinning out already loose multithreaded nuts in confined spaces ie removing an exhaust manifold, I don't find it has much torque in cracking stiff nuts - you end up just using it like a
standard wrench until the nuts are loosened, then it spins them off.

Never thought about it, but do air wrenhes come in better 'gear ratios' for more torque, and also presumably better construction so less air wastage?

Another thing to consider is it seems to get far colder in operation than a air tool run off a compressor, I guess because the air at 200 bar cools as it changes to 10 bar then again as it is used in the tool - so 20 times colder from gas laws?
Anyway, glove use for long term use ;-)

·
PMs are being edited
9,612 Posts
I used this one:
Air Ratchet Set - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys
£29 with some sockets.

However, its value is in spinning out already loose multithreaded nuts in confined spaces ie removing an exhaust manifold, I don't find it has much torque in cracking stiff nuts - you end up just using it like a
standard wrench until the nuts are loosened, then it spins them off.

Never thought about it, but do air wrenhes come in better 'gear ratios' for more torque, and also presumably better construction so less air wastage?
Thats an air ratchet.

What you should be looking for is an Air Impact Wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts