YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
H2O: 2 parts water 1 part obsession.
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone direct me to somewhere that sells X-Shorts, has anyone used them are they any good? Does anyone have a pair to sell/swap or loan. What alternatives have been used ?

This is for warm water wet suit diving

Rgds Mike

·
aka Chimp 1 or Mavis...
10,108 Posts
I am pretty sure Rob Dobson can get you some from Dive xtras

·
Registered
989 Posts
Just stick some pockets on your wetsuit, or make your own pair with some cycling shorts!!

Thats what I'd do but then again im a student!!,

HTH,

Dan

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts

·
Prime mate
264 Posts
You can make your own - I did because I already had pockets - but if you can get them do so - it's often cheaper than buying the pockets on their own!

Ignore everyone who says they're silly. They're no more silly than having pockets on your suit.

What's silly is buying 3 sets of pockets for all your exposure suits, rather than buying one set sewn to a pair of shorts!

Buy them and love them.

:)

r

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mr Huggins is dead enamoured with them, then there is the picture of Willo posing in them which still gives me nightmares.

·
Now NAUI
242 Posts
I like them and have had a pair for warm water diving for some time. Downsides are that they were not well made and over time need repairing .. bung the local cobbler a few quid and he can put it through a heavy duty sewing machine and all is well. They might have improved over time. I've also found that its best to hold them up with a webbing weight belt - otherwise you have that awful "my skiddies are falling down" feeling .

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Alternative is to just get some pockets and glue them on - I got the membrane velcro pcokets from Divers Warehouse, come with a tube of glue (but buy more!!!) and stuck one on my wetsuit. Very useful to have as I dive with a wing and harness so gets things out of the way. I also prefer as few things to attach to me as possible when i'm kitting up, so keep everything attached to my harness or in my pocket - just naturally prefer to not have another pair of shorts to put on, or another thing to clip on, another clip to do up, or whatever.

Only £20 too, bargain! Use enough Black Witch and they'll stay stuck forever (unless you try particularly hard to rip them off) - use the amount they give you though and it'll probably drop straight off.

David

·
Sponsored by The Betty Ford Clinic and Prozac
4,501 Posts
The new X-Shorts became available when I was out at the factory in Seattle, I thought about getting a selection of sizes incase people wanted them but in the end didn't (I had too much as it was). They are new and improved X-Shorts but as I never got that close to the old ones I can't tell you what's so different about them other than the sizing is a bit smaller than the old ones.

I had a couple of pairs sent over for Mark Fielding-Smith a few weeks back for the China expedition and they took about a week to get here.

There is an X-Scooter coming over the middle of next week so if anyone wants X-shorts I can get them bundled up with that shipment which should pretty much eliminate the shipping but not the VAT and import duty.

Could take up to two weeks from leaving the USA to being released by HM Customs but generally things are quicker than that.

·
Irish Cave Diver in the making
3,241 Posts
I may be interested, but I wouldn't have a clue about the size.

I would be looking for a pair to go over the top of my Britannic dry suit - the one with the 'front' pockets which are not much use when getting back into a RIB. So, are they sized to go over the top of wet suits, dry suits, American (non-cave cut) physiques?

Any idea Rob?

Oh, I assume they are bellow pockets both sides and are big enough for all the junk, I mean redundant equipment?

Anyone have a pair they could send me to try for size?

·
Wreck Enthusiast
4,161 Posts
There is an X-Scooter coming over the middle of next week so if anyone wants X-shorts I can get them bundled up with that shipment which should pretty much eliminate the shipping but not the VAT and import duty.
Could you not get Ben to stuff a load in the scooter body as "protective padding" :)

·
4,501 Posts
Could you not get Ben to stuff a load in the scooter body as "protective padding" :)
Interesting.... I really don't want to muck about with HM Customs though. Those guys have more power than the police and can kick your front door in because they feel like it.

Anyone know the TARIC code for big ass shorts?

·
4,501 Posts
I may be interested, but I wouldn't have a clue about the size.
PM me your measurements and I'll work it out.

I would be looking for a pair to go over the top of my Britannic dry suit - the one with the 'front' pockets which are not much use when getting back into a RIB. So, are they sized to go over the top of wet suits, dry suits, American (non-cave cut) physiques?
They are designed to go over wet suits but I can't see a big problem with going over a dry suit. They are made of a thin and flexible neoprene.

Oh, I assume they are bellow pockets both sides and are big enough for all the junk, I mean redundant equipment?
They are the same as the Dive Xtras drysuit pockets which are huge. I wish my Protec had these pockets on it - actually I might get Ian to swap them over...

·
"Three sheds"
12,688 Posts
Anyone know the TARIC code for big ass shorts?
Well they're not swimming shorts as they don't have a seperate crotch layer.

So I would reckon on:
Linky

Which gives a rate of 12%.

Janos

PS - How big are the Dive X-tras pockets? Do you have the measurements?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts