YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imported post

Was at Horsea at the weekend. Water was 6C, so I added my nice new base layer to try and keep warm.

When my cylinders were full, I wasn't too badly off. But when I was down to 20bar, it was only by shrink-wrapping myself (and therefore loosing most insulation) that I was able to stay down.

I'll be doing a weight-check later on in the week, but to give me an idea of how much lead to take with me - how much extra lead do you need to sink when you add a Xerotherm base layer to your undersuit..?

·
A short fat well off crap cave diver. Likes wrecks
15,343 Posts
Imported post

Blimey I am amazed it made any diferance at all. I cirtainly didnt add weight to my membrain rig when I got the Exotherm but I was running a Thinsulate with my old membrain rig. Now with Neo I just use the base layour up till October/ November than add the 200G thinsulate For this I need about 2k extra to keep air in the suit for deco.

ATB

Mark Chase

·
Registered
283 Posts
Imported post

Took me about another 4lbs to keep me down with the Xerotherm Arctic + another set of thin thermals, but then I havn't yet done a proper bouyancy check.  It does however leave me with a reasonable amount of air in the suit during the last stop.

·
To dive or not to dive - that's not even an option
2,998 Posts
Imported post

I go with Mark,

I just bought a full set and in combination with extra socks, sweater and dry gloves I only put on 2lb and was spot on with empty tank. A xenotherm on it's own should be negligable.

James

·
Jonah
7,366 Posts
Imported post

might just be the post-christmas 'bioprene' making you floaty?

(I know I became a bit more buoyant...)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Imported post

I also wasn't expecting it to make a major difference.. but with full sea weighting in Horsea, which is actually less salty than the sea, was still barely capable of staying down.. odd.

Oh well... maybe it's the thicker neo gloves & hood that're making me more floaty

·
Team Starburst
5,275 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#736AFF'>Been using the xotherm for the last two winters combined with a weasel undersuit.
I have never noticed any difference in weight requirements.
Might be prudent to check out the the scales and tape mesure.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#810541'>The Arctic which is new, is a lot thicker than the older stuff and will trap a lot more air. I have been wearing mine on its own and is the same buoyancy as a 100g thinsulate but warmer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts