YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

hi folks,
         asking for some advice from those in the know. I have the opportunity to buy either xerotherm to wear under my drysuit with the weazel extreme,which I use just now,or should I go for the chillcheater transpire underwear, how would it work best, could I at some point use just the xerotherm on it's own under a drysuit, the reason I ask is that it does recommend this under a neoprene, but what about a drysuit. then again again if you look at the information about the transpire it seems to illustrate it being used on it's own under a drysuit!! without an undersuit. I don't want overkill, but I would like the best combination to wear either under my weasel if it's cold enough,or the transpire or xerotherm on their own,anybody help?
                                cheers
                                         Fraser  

·
Registered
797 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>another option is the Helly Hansen Liffa system. I bought these & used for a week on the Skelligs & found to be very good. Wicked away the sweat & helped keep me warm. Very comfortable & cheaper than the others.

gareth

·
Not as tall in real life
4,059 Posts
Imported post

Hi Fraser,

I think you are getting a bit confused with the suppliers definition of neoprene,  they are referring to Neoprene drysuits (Which in themselves have inherent insulating capabilty and therefore warmth).

Basically the suits you mention will probably work well under a neoprene drysuit on their own but if used with a membrane drysuit then an additional undersuit would probably be required (Actually I would say definitely - but that's just my opinion).

A lot of people seem to use the Xerotherm or Reed undersuits and Weezle extreme with membrane suits quite happily through the winter.  I do not know anyone who uses just a Xerotherm or Reed transpire with a membrane, even in the mid summer.

Daz

·
currently offshore, please leave a message
1,106 Posts
Imported post

Personaly I would use chillcheater but thats because I am entitled to a discount and I think the clothing is bloody brilliant.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Imported post

The Chillcheater wetsuit is certainly excellent - I have one. I'm less convinced by their fleeces tho. It was a tough decision, since the Reed is half the price, but I bought the Xerotherm on Saturday.

It will, incidentally, be worn under a Weezle in a membrane drysuit. Some people DO actually wear just a Xerotherm under a membrane sometimes, when it's warm enough..

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Imported post

hi folks

I've gone for the transpire,my missus says I can't get it till santa gives it to me!!,so it won't get used until maybe January in loch long/fyne, or maybe a boat dive around cumbrae. I'll let you know what it's like,and later on in the year,I may try it on it's own under my flexia,if I'm feeling brave/daft enough!!

cheers

Fraser.:laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts