YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi to everyone I met at Capernwray on Saturday 27th Dec. Nice to finally meet up with Tim, Paul C and Mike? and Steve (Butch) Great to dive again so soon after Christmas and the place was nice and quiet with great vis. Bit cold at 7 degrees but that didn't spoil two great dives.

Dave C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Imported post

hi i will agree with dave 2 good dives even if it was a bit cold,great to put names to faces,and to meet up with paul again,though no doubt we will meet at tynemouth in the summer.         mike

·
Snap Happy
2,802 Posts
Imported post

Ah, Crap'n'rainy after Christmas and Bacon burger served with a sour Grinchy frown (actually that's all year round) - who could want for more (apart from some pleasantries from the staff?
?).

Tim

ps.  You might have guessed that the continual 'negative vibes' from the staff are starting to annoy me slightly!

Here's to Stoney and also the lakes!

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Hi again,

Just back from Capers again!! This time driving down with that nice Mr Yates at the helm of his 4x4. Freezeing our proverbials off on this one. The outside temp got down to -6 degrees in the borders on the drive down. The diving was pretty good though. Met up with Gavin (of course) Dougie paddler, Timing, Parahandy and Mark. Two good dives seeing the usual stuff plus that new diving bell they've just put in. 12m deep and not much to look at but good all the same. Saw lots of fish too, Pike, Perch and others I didn't recognise.

It'll be nice to get into the sea again tomorrow at Congar Alley with Frogman. Fresh waters nice as you don't have to wash your kit down that much but theres not much under water life is there?

Nice to see you all again, and have a happy New Year all,

Dave C

·
1,773 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000F22'>It was -7 on the car's computer at one point - water temp a balmy 7 centigrade.

I don't like inland stuff v much and this was no different but it got the kit washed and it was great to see Parahandy, Tim and Marky D.

Incidently, Mark showed off his Reed Gimp Hood - and to think this man is a public servant !!!

Happy New Year All

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

I was up there today with a few from my club. The viz was good and the water still 7C just nice! I was trying out the Y valve on my 15L, It's a good valve and idea but is hard to get to when shutting down.
Where did you see the Pike Dave. I have been there loads and not seen one yet
I thought I saw 1 last year at the back of the quarry but it turnd out to be a massive trout

Going to Stoney on Fri

Ali

·
Street Cleansing Operative
4,427 Posts
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>Ali,

I think I saw you with your Y-valve (parked nearest to the lake?). We should get some YD flags to fly so we can spot each other - we're probably walking past other YD members at sites all the time!

Tim and I saw THE sturgeon (apparently there is only one). Very unusual and worth the trip, having never seen one before. It was lurking around at the back, just west of the gnome garden if anyone wants to go and try to find it.

When I first saw it I thought "What's that bloody dogfish doing in here?" then got a closer look and realised what it was.

It was a lovely day but bloody cold - 30 minutes was enough of a dive for anyone! After the first dive I left my kit on one of the concrete blocks and later found my hood frozen to it! So the spare (gimp) hood came out. Frightening!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Imported post

Mark
Thats gotta to be the quote of the year LOL

After the first dive I left my kit on one of the concrete blocks and later found my hood frozen to it! So the spare (gimp) hood came out. Frightening!

Tony

·
2 plugs Parker
745 Posts
Imported post

Hi Mark,
Yep that was me parked there. Shame they didn't put the gates abit closer to the pond

My 1st dive was 45mins and must say that I never felt cold. Not even my hands and that is always the 1st bit to suffer. Mind you I work outside so I guess I'm hardened to the cold abit

·
Exiled in Scotland...
6,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Imported post

<font color='#000080'>
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ali @ Dec. 30 2003,08:11)]Where did you see the Pike Dave. I have been there loads and not seen one yet
I thought I saw 1 last year at the back of the quarry but it turnd out to be a massive trout

Going to Stoney on Fri

Ali
We were coming out along the training shelf through where all the fish hang out usually. I saw at least two large fish with mouths that were not the usual flat O shape but had a bottom jaw which came up to a point at the front, which was sharp at the front. A bit like an inverted V -> ^
    \\\\
>>(((((((o o)
              ^

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
Imported post

hi ya timming just read your little piece about capernwray and the pleasant staff that work there NOT!!!!
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ah, Crap'n'rainy after Christmas and Bacon burger served with a sour Grinchy frown (actually that's all year round) - who could want for more (apart from some pleasantries from the staff??).

Tim

ps.  You might have guessed that the continual 'negative vibes' from the staff are starting to annoy me slightly!
i also agree about negative vibes thats why i dont go there any more because its about time they learnt about costomer service o well merry xmas capernwray and a stoney cove new year where im sure i can find nice staff agian and again and again PPS i missed all the guys down at stoney today at the map at 11 am i was somewhere around the box at that point best wishes leigh

·
Registered
676 Posts
Imported post

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dcrampt @ Dec. 30 2003,20:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ali @ Dec. 30 2003,08:11)]Where did you see the Pike Dave. I have been there loads and not seen one yet

Going to Stoney on Fri

Ali
We were coming out along the training shelf through where all the fish hang out usually. I saw at least two large fish with mouths that were not the usual flat O shape but had a bottom jaw which came up to a point at the front, which was sharp at the front. A bit like an inverted V -> ^
    \\\\
>>(((((((o o)
              ^
<font color='#810541'>They are actually trout that have turned canibal and have a mouth like a salmon, even one of the Tigers has turned now.

A lot of people mistake them for Pike.  

1 - 14 of 14 Posts