YD Scuba Diving Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just changed the motherboard in my PC, I am now trying to install windows and it won't do it, this is what happens:
Set boot disk to CD
switch on computer
choose install to existing partition (there are some files on the disk but no OS)
Copys installation files to disk
Computer reboots
Get the message "Searching for boot record from IDE-0..OK
and then it just hangs there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
XP Install

Hi Zok

ummgh.... sounds like the new motherboard is seeing the drive slightly differently than the old one, I'm assuming that you have only one drive in the PC and that the drive jumpers are set to master drive etc...and has been formated originally using NTFS. One option would be to re format the drive and do a fresh install yea I know.....!!!

If the system is set to auto detect the drive try setting it to manual and inputting the drive parameters directly which you should find on a sticky label somewhere on the drive.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
51 Posts
are you able to see the disc in the bios, before trying to partition/format etc?

·
An Old "New Member"
115 Posts
Use the option on the install disc to delete the existing partition then it will ask you to create and format a new partition that should sort it out

All the best

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The disk was seen correctly in the bios.
I did not want to format the disk because i was trying to preserve some data on it that was to large to transfer any where else.
Bit the bullet in the end, formatted the disk and everything is now ok.:teeth:
Thanks for the replies guys:teeth:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts