YD Scuba Diving Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got all my, and my Missus, i tunes stuff on an XP laptop. Can we transfer it to the new 'home' PC which is on Vista?

I have no idea about this stuff, by the way. :embarassed:

Ta.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Apple still haven't managed to get iTunes working 100% on Vista at the moment, their recent advice to Windows users was "to wait until they resolve the last remaining issues". One of the issues in particular can corrupt the entire iPod so care needs to be taken.

That aside I think you can only sync the iPod to one PC for the DRM anyway.

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
Digital Rights Management

Protection software/hardware to stop you copying music and films all over the place.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you have an external drive available to copy to and from (or a way of networking the two PCs) then you can simply import the MP3 files into your iTunes library on the PC that isn't set up already.

Purchase iTunes music can be loaded on up to 5 computers.

I am running Vista on my desktop PC and XP on the laptop and had no problems with iTunes on Vista other than I had to run the "repair" option on iTunes once I had upgraded my desktop to Vista.

No problems with syncing the iPod off Vista at all.

My mate did the same upgrade as me and also has no issues on his system.

Go for it!

Greg

·
This is my happy face!!
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have an external drive available to copy to and from (or a way of networking the two PCs) then you can simply import the MP3 files into your iTunes library on the PC that isn't set up already.Greg
Nope! Can I not copy them onto a disc then transfer?
:redface:

·
Likes to play his bongo's in the morning
1,286 Posts
If you have an external drive available to copy to and from (or a way of networking the two PCs) then you can simply import the MP3 files into your iTunes library on the PC that isn't set up already.
there's an article on ipod support site about using your ipod in disk mode to transfer the itunes library from 1 PC to another - obviously you need enough disk space free on the ipod...

How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts